Vaux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onion bhajis and pier gates....funny how nobody has anything to say on these monumental cock ups.

Is there a single development anywhere in the town that has genuine wow factor?

Have we fully utilised Herrington country park?

Is the sea front any closer to NOT being a perpetual building site where nothing gets built?

Is there a cohesive strategy linking the disparate parts of the town centre?

Is the town centre pulling in visitors and shoppers from outside the area?

Are we looking at offering something different from Newcastle to entice people in, if so what?

What is been done regards the chronic levels of boarded up and vacant shops in the town centre ?

What in God's name is happening with high street? Yet another project that looks fuck all like the scale model unsurprisingly.

Why are the buildings around Keel Square still standing when they were supposed to be bulldozed last year...another cock up?

The train station :oops:

Why do visitors to Sunderland have to go to the dole office on john street to get any info on where or what to do? (Really, they do)

Should we not stop allowing more shitty scratter type places opening up ....i think we might just have enough pound shops and pizza shops to go round...

All questions that should be asked but never are....

Onion bhajis and pier gates....funny how nobody has anything to say on these monumental cock ups.

Is the sea front any closer to NOT being a perpetual building site where nothing gets built?

Are we looking at offering something different from Newcastle to entice people in, if so what?

What is been done regards the chronic levels of boarded up and vacant shops in the town centre ?

What in God's name is happening with high street? Yet another project that looks fuck all like the scale model unsurprisingly.

Why are the buildings around Keel Square still standing when they were supposed to be bulldozed last year...another cock up?

Why do visitors to Sunderland have to go to the dole office on john street to get any info on where or what to do? (Really, they do)

Should we not stop allowing more shitty scratter type places opening up ....i think we might just have enough pound shops and pizza shops to go round...

Why are you such a massive bellend?

Why do you live here if you hate it so much
Why do you avoid answering questions
Why do you exaggerate and tell lies.

To be fair he does have some valid points.

He has literally dismissed all counterarguments completely and forfeited his right to be taken seriously.

There are of course, rationally speaking, some issues with Sunderland City Centre which we would all like to see worked on, we are not deluded regarding the challenges our city has faced. However, to dismiss literally every single development as useless, worthless and below par is just borderline ridiculous.

I am confident Sunderland is a lot better than what it was in the 1990s, but due to the city's economic background and its regional position, the change is always going to be difficult and require patience. Nevertheless, the past few years have certainly saw more happening now than ever before. Only a deranged person would literally write it all off the way he is.

Fair enough, but I can still agree with a couple of his statements.

He has literally dismissed all counterarguments completely and forfeited his right to be taken seriously.

There are of course, rationally speaking, some issues with Sunderland City Centre which we would all like to see worked on, we are not deluded regarding the challenges our city has faced. However, to dismiss literally every single development as useless, worthless and below par is just borderline ridiculous.

I am confident Sunderland is a lot better than what it was in the 1990s, but due to the city's economic background and its regional position, the change is always going to be difficult and require patience. Nevertheless, the past few years have certainly saw more happening now than ever before. Only a deranged person would literally write it all off the way he is.

He does the same thing on any thread he is involved with irrespective of the topic. To be honest i'm positive he's just a massive troll like, either that or he's a seriously troubled bloke.

Fair enough, but I can still agree with a couple of his statements.

Honestly it just comes across as ear screeching whinging which serves no productive or constructive purpose, it makes Len Lowther seem tolerable.

I think a good portion of Sunderland's future is about being positive about Sunderland, if we can have confidence in the city centre then that goes a long way; thus why things like the city of culture bid matter significantly. Moshpit complains that nobody wants to come here, but how can they if he's on a crusade to tell the world apparently how shit and awful it is?

Translated
He doesnt agree with me therefore he is wrong

Honestly it just comes across as ear screeching whinging which serves no productive or constructive purpose, it makes Len Lowther seem tolerable.

I think a good portion of Sunderland's future is about being positive about Sunderland, if we can have confidence in the city centre then that goes a long way; thus why things like the city of culture bid matter significantly. Moshpit complains that nobody wants to come here, but how can they if he's on a crusade to tell the world apparently how shit and awful it is?
He has raised valid questions and asked why we continue after years and years to accept eye sores, inaction and second rate facilities.
You just suggest he should be optimistic and it will magically be transformed to some 21st century nirvana.
He has clearlt indicated what he doesnt like, and why. Yet you berate and insult him
Laughable really

Last edited:

Erm I'm not saying you're deluded but I'm yet to see anyone on this thread praise either the pier gates or pods down Roker. I know I've slated the pods on this very thread and the pier gates are shite too if that's what you want to hear.

Then again no one is claiming Sunderland have done everything right just that recent developments are promising. Which I'm sure is eating you up inside. Don't worry scratters wanting to visit a dilapidated fair, have a three course meal for 12p in Sambucas, then go bowling directly on the beach will still use Shields.

I agree on the sentiment about being overly critical with challenges facing Sunderland. It is changing and will take time. I think it's worth regular debates as it engages people into the discussion. In fairness to moshpit, he may be genuinely frustrated with how Sunderland is and wants it to be better. Nothing wrong with civic pride. People care about their own city and want it to do well. In fact it's essential that people are involved in decision making
Ultimately people need to make their voices heard in a constructive and fair manner. Criticism or praise when it's due.
But as you point out, focusing on the negative maybe counterproductive.
I think you're right about Sunderland being better now than in the 1990s, however not relatively speaking. You would expect everywhere to improve over the years, but maybe Sunderland could have/ can be so much more. However inhibiting factors seem to stopping S/Land reaching its full potential

Last edited:
Translated
He doesnt agree with me therefore he is wrong

He has raised valid questions and asked why we continue after years and years to accept eye sores, inaction and second rate facilities.
You just suggest he should be optimistic and it will magically be transformed to some 21st century nirvana.
He has clearlt indicated what he doesnt like, and why. Yet you berate and insult him
Laughable really

Go to any north/mids post industrial provincial town/city and you'll see the exact same problems. Its isnt a just a sunderland issue whereas he thinks it is.

His whole meltdown is because a tin pot local radio station used a slightly over exaggerated word to describe a city development.

On the back of this thinks bigging the place up will put off investors whilst being overly negative will see them flocking.

He raises a point about stopping low end retail opening up. How exactly do you do that?

Much of his point are just nit picking for the sake of it. Keel square should've had gold leaf on the ship names. I guarentee that had gold leaf been used he'd have complained it was a stupid decision as it would wear away with people walking over grinding in grit and dirt.

Some crane in glasgow he thinks looks great as its won design awards. Roker seafront has also won design awards but for some reason thinks its shit

There's some genuinely good things happening in recent years, especially around the Empire and also the seafront.
The trouble is to the put the city centre right is such a massive job on several fronts it will take a lot of time.
I think we've got to forget about the obsession with Newcastle and develop Sunderland in a way to offer something it doesn't.
We're a city by the sea with a river going through the middle which the city centre overlooks, our location is fantastic, we should build on that.

Erm I'm not saying you're deluded but I'm yet to see anyone on this thread praise either the pier gates or pods down Roker. I know I've slated the pods on this very thread and the pier gates are shite too if that's what you want to hear.

Then again no one is claiming Sunderland have done everything right just that recent developments are promising. Which I'm sure is eating you up inside. Don't worry scratters wanting to visit a dilapidated fair, have a three course meal for 12p in Sambucas, then go bowling directly on the beach will still use Shields.

I don't think you can use the pods as an example of what the council have done right. :oops::oops:

I don't think Shields was mentioned but saying as you have Sunderland Council could learn a lot from what has been done on that seafront. Events, parks, ampitheatre , concerts and new developments have made it attractive to a whole range of people.
I don't think that bowling alleys are the right development near a beach but neither do I think prime sites on the rivers, both, are the right place for office blocks. Both the Shields and Sunderland councils have done that.

I don't think Shields was mentioned but saying as you have Sunderland Council could learn a lot from what has been done on that seafront. Events, parks, ampitheatre , concerts and new developments have made it attractive to a whole range of people.
I don't think that bowling alleys are the right development near a beach but neither do I think prime sites on the rivers, both, are the right place for office blocks. Both the Shields and Sunderland councils have done that.

He did mention shields. Saying how great it was even though many residents slate the council cos theyve neglected the town centre focusing too much on the sea front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back