Vaux

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m only gonna comment as I’ve seen this complained about twice now. It’s a fly-tower. It’s a purely functional addition to allow theatre companies to ‘fly’ acters across the stage (extending the scope of production the Empire can host). It’s not an ‘extension’ or ‘carbuncle’. It wasn’t built with a particular eye to design, rather to allow a further function to the building. I do recall an art competition (it displayed in the Art gallery at the library) to clad the tower in something, but it must have been canned, as nothing came of it iirc.
Cheers for that - at least an intelligent reply. But as a regular patron of the Empire for many a year I was/am aware of it's functionality. I've benefitted fr
I’m only gonna comment as I’ve seen this complained about twice now. It’s a fly-tower. It’s a purely functional addition to allow theatre companies to ‘fly’ acters across the stage (extending the scope of production the Empire can host). It’s not an ‘extension’ or ‘carbuncle’. It wasn’t built with a particular eye to design, rather to allow a further function to the building. I do recall an art competition (it displayed in the Art gallery at the library) to clad the tower in something, but it must have been canned, as nothing came of it iirc.
Thanks, but as a regular patron of the Empire I'm well aware of its functional purpose. I've benefitted endlessly from it by seeing many an amazing performance which would not have been possible there without it. But it's a carbuncle. I have worked alongside many construction engineers who know the construction.. To a man they say that it could have been constructed more "softly", less "brutally", more "sympathetically" using any of a vast array of alternative materials. But pure functionality seems to have overridden all other considerations. As Kevin McCloud of Grand Designs tells us often, "Functionality and Art are not mutually exclusive".

Theyre not. Its in the process of being sold and part of it demolished some time soon for an access road.

I think people over state the primeness of the morrisons site. I think fat buddah looks really smart. How exactly does the travelodge block the minster? Empire whilst ugly does allow them to put on west end shows attracting people into the city.
It all should be demolished.

Cheers for that - at least an intelligent reply. But as a regular patron of the Empire for many a year I was/am aware of it's functionality. I've benefitted fr

Thanks, but as a regular patron of the Empire I'm well aware of its functional purpose. I've benefitted endlessly from it by seeing many an amazing performance which would not have been possible there without it. But it's a carbuncle. I have worked alongside many construction engineers who know the construction.. To a man they say that it could have been constructed more "softly", less "brutally", more "sympathetically" using any of a vast array of alternative materials. But pure functionality seems to have overridden all other considerations. As Kevin McCloud of Grand Designs tells us often, "Functionality and Art are not mutually exclusive".
Great point. The empire is the jewel in a sadly less than impressive crown. There are so many ways the extension could have been added to look less like a biscuit tin.

I remember well the competition in the echo where it was acknowledged that it needed to be improved and the 4 or 5 designs on offer that were to publically voted on.

But it just got canned with absolutely no reason ever given as to why, and with no murmur or protest heard. Like the pier gates....70 grand shelled out for a pair of gates that rusted shut within 3 months cos the wrong steel was used...it is met with utter indifference because we've become conditioned to accept bog standard.

If we the public raise our standards, demand the very best, and hold those elected accountable...then ultimately those in charge have no option but to raise their own standards and deliver more.

I ask you all to look at the Clyde in Glasgow for a glimpse of what Sunderland should have become. A river beholden to its past and its proud history yet striding forward with a sense of civic pride and hope.

Sadly the river wear has nothing ...nothing at all that stands as a memorial of our shipbuilding and mining heritage. And it's so incredibly sad because it only takes a generation for that connection to our past to be lost forever.

Shame on this council for letting that come to pass.

Just a little thought I had when sitting in front of a pint just now. A common theme on this site every 10 months or so is the railway station, how ugly it is and what a bad first time impression it creates on visitors. Let's say the council spent the £30 million on ripping it apart and renewing it. Would that not be money well spent ?

Just a little thought I had when sitting in front of a pint just now. A common theme on this site every 10 months or so is the railway station, how ugly it is and what a bad first time impression it creates on visitors. Let's say the council spent the £30 million on ripping it apart and renewing it. Would that not be money well spent ?
You'll just get told the council have got no jurisdiction or authority as network rail own it.

Positively the worst railway station in the land....and I've been to many of em.

You'll just get told the council have got no jurisdiction or authority as network rail own it.

Positively the worst railway station in the land....and I've been to many of em.

I would tell those people they were talking bollocks. As far as I recall the "light wall" was funded by the council at a cost of £1 million or so and of course the station was rebuilt in 2002 for the Metro which was then local government funded.

1) office workers, lots of them, in the city centre before during and after their shift.

2) solve the problem of the underclass roaming the streets pissed / high. Get them out of the Norfolk / tatham.

3) council accountability. They need to understand that incompetence will not go unnoticed and they should be held accountable for their mistakes including being sacked.

4) everything else will follow.

Great point. The empire is the jewel in a sadly less than impressive crown. There are so many ways the extension could have been added to look less like a biscuit tin.

I remember well the competition in the echo where it was acknowledged that it needed to be improved and the 4 or 5 designs on offer that were to publically voted on.

But it just got canned with absolutely no reason ever given as to why, and with no murmur or protest heard. Like the pier gates....70 grand shelled out for a pair of gates that rusted shut within 3 months cos the wrong steel was used...it is met with utter indifference because we've become conditioned to accept bog standard.

If we the public raise our standards, demand the very best, and hold those elected accountable...then ultimately those in charge have no option but to raise their own standards and deliver more.

I ask you all to look at the Clyde in Glasgow for a glimpse of what Sunderland should have become. A river beholden to its past and its proud history yet striding forward with a sense of civic pride and hope.

Sadly the river wear has nothing ...nothing at all that stands as a memorial of our shipbuilding and mining heritage. And it's so incredibly sad because it only takes a generation for that connection to our past to be lost forever.

Shame on this council for letting that come to pass.
The Glass Centre is good though.Had a good look last week and was impressed.They are still producing glassware.Glass was a Sunderland industry long before shipbuilding ever appeared.

There is also the argument that we need to invest in tomorrow not yesterday.

Keel Square is reasonably near.

1) office workers, lots of them, in the city centre before during and after their shift.

2) solve the problem of the underclass roaming the streets pissed / high. Get them out of the Norfolk / tatham.

3) council accountability. They need to understand that incompetence will not go unnoticed and they should be held accountable for their mistakes including being sacked.

4) everything else will follow.
Where do we put the underclass? Have you been to Edinburgh and Glasgow recently?

They are everywhere man.

Last edited:
I would tell those people they were talking bollocks. As far as I recall the "light wall" was funded by the council at a cost of £1 million or so and of course the station was rebuilt in 2002 for the Metro which was then local government funded.

Network rail own it and are responsible for it. The council can stump up some funding (and do for various private investments) if it encourages network rail to also cough up. If network rail arent forthcoming then should the council stump up even more? It could lead to a slippery slope of expectation of council subsidies which they cant really afford.

Debunked?? By whom, the guy who thinks the Civic Centre is a cracking design? :D:D:oops:
Every reasonable adult that realises you can walk 20 seconds North or South and get the same views of the sea. Literally don't know a single person in real life that thinks the building has ruined the "view". Funny how you don't get similar comments about the fair/amusements/bowling alley/that stainless steel leisure centre etc ruining the views in wor Shields.

Network rail own it and are responsible for it. The council can stump up some funding (and do for various private investments) if it encourages network rail to also cough up. If network rail arent forthcoming then should the council stump up even more? It could lead to a slippery slope of expectation of council subsidies which they cant really afford.

They are subsidising the building of this office block as a speculative venture. The office block is no use to me, or probably to most of the people who arrive in Sunderland by rail. The station is a gateway to the city and it creates a horrible first impression.

Every reasonable adult that realises you can walk 20 seconds North or South and get the same views of the sea. Literally don't know a single person in real life that thinks the building has ruined the "view". Funny how you don't get similar comments about the fair/amusements/bowling alley/that stainless steel leisure centre etc ruining the views in wor Shields.
It's yet another functional, uninspiring building on a prime piece of sea front real estate.
I noticed the new restaurant at Shields the other day, Colemans I think it was called, built in a renovated band stand.
Now that is something that looks inspired.

It's yet another functional, uninspiring building on a prime piece of sea front real estate.
I noticed the new restaurant at Shields the other day, Colemans I think it was called, built in a renovated band stand.
Now that is something that looks inspired.

I just looked that up and it does look pretty cool.

Logon or register to see this image

The Glass Centre is good though.Had a good look last week and was impressed.They are still producing glassware.Glass was a Sunderland industry long before shipbuilding ever appeared.

There is also the argument that we need to invest in tomorrow not yesterday.

Keel Square is reasonably near.

Where do we put the underclass? Have you been to Edinburgh and Glasgow recently?

They are everywhere man.
Canps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back