VARguments

IIRC there were two dodgy decisions given against Croatia in the World Cup final, I can't remember if VAR was involved mind but assume it was.

Edit handball for the pen and I think whatever happened in the lead up to the free kick for the first.

VAR was a farce in the World Cup.

Exactly how far do you go back

Think after City had scored they were looking at a penalty incident before about 3 minutes in the Spurs area

God help this place the day a VAR decision goes against us and people start going back 10, 20, 30 seconds to a separate incident which would have changed the whole context.

Last edited:

So? It's been like that for over 100 years. People are complaining saying the atmosphere has gone at grounds, this will accelerate it.
Just wait until we're on the receiving end of this, you'll never celebrate a goal with fuckin wild abandon ever again.

I don't want VAR available.

It hasn’t been like that for over 100 years has it though? You’re telling me the cost of relegation from the top flight in 1919 was north of £100 million?

Or even taking inflation into account, anywhere near that sum of money? No.

I agree VAR takes the excitement away a little bit, but only when you’re on the wrong end of it. Spurs could’ve been wrongly knocked out of the CL last night, which would’ve cost them a fortune.

Remove the money and you remove the need for VAR.

I'm not keen on the format. In tennis they have three appeals per set. I'd prefer some thing like that, the manager can appeal a couple of decisions per match, rather than a faceless interruption of a last minute winner minutes into the celebration.
This is the way forward for me, 2 appeals per half, get it right you keep the appeal, wrong you lose it.

why are people pretending like offside hasn't always caused these sorts of scenarios?
Good point.

All those saying it will eventually mean fans stop celebrating are talking shite tbh.

Last edited:
There are no grey areas with offside - it isn't down to individual interpretation, you're either offside or you're not. It's identical to goalline decisions, it is a factual yes or no. Man City had a goal ruled out, because it was necessarily an invalid goal.

This would completely destroy the game. Also the offside wasn’t in the same phase as the goal, he dragged back then passed between offside and goal. How far are we going to roll back footage to find a minor offence to disallow goals?

VAR is built on the premise of overturning clear and obvious errors. This was nowhere near clear and obvious, no advantage was gained by Aguero and the goal was 2 phases of football further on. You’d be incredibly annoyed if you were denied that goal

VAR added to the excitement last night. Seeing City being elated for about a minute and then almost silence was superb. :lol:

I don’t doubt it was hilarious to watch individuals suffer. Doesn’t make it correct though

25 pages of people moaning that refs can now get a better view of dodgy decisions.

Last night was the best advert for VAR there could ever be. Without it City would have been incorrectly through to the semi final.
Agree but just doesn't seam like football to me, used to instant decisions and carping about the ref in the pub afterwards. Instead of Var how about getting decent refs

Agree but just doesn't seam like football to me, used to instant decisions and carping about the ref in the pub afterwards. Instead of Var how about getting decent refs

Refs on the whole are decent at European level but the stakes are bigger than they’ve ever been. Look at Llorente’s goal last night. There’s absolutely nowhere the ref could have been standing to see that it came off his hip other than in front of the play which will never happen in a million years.

That Spurs goal was the kind of decision where, in rugby, the different questions the referee asks the TMO would help. "Try or not?" (meaning I'm really not certain) and "Is there any reason not to award a try?" (meaning I'm pretty sure, but just double check in case I've missed something) makes a huge difference. I'd suggest the Llorente goal fell into the second category, and, if that had been the question, the decision much quicker, as there was not a clear handball.

Good post.

25 pages of people moaning that refs can now get a better view of dodgy decisions.

Last night was the best advert for VAR there could ever be. Without it City would have been incorrectly through to the semi final.

Too marginal a call to moan if it goes against you IMO.

Mind, bit of justice given the dodgy penna they got in the first leg (which was all down to VAR)

Last edited:

Exactly! people twisting time and time again about refs getting wrong.

We now give refs better tools to get it right and what do people do twist!!

That is a naive as fuck statement to be honest , as week in week out it is clear as day the human eye is not enough!

Last edited:
Allow the game to flow and let the ref or linesman make their mistakes as in the past .
After the final whistle have some light entertainment, eg Status Quo miming to their greatest hits .
During this period, run VAR from minutes 1 to 90 plus stoppage , then deduct or add on any goals that should have been given or deleted.
Then announce the result after some kind of fanfare or drum roll . It would add to the match day experience and possibly help clubs sell a bit more catering .
...just getting my coat

I respect your point mate, but your last sentence is matter of opinion.

If there was no VAR last night, Tottenham would have been wrongly knocked out.

Imo correcting wrongs is more important.

There is also the massive issue of fans not accepting understandable mistakes by officials, which there clearly don't.

Maybe if these mistakes were accepted as part and parcel of the game ( like you say mistakes have always happened) there would be less of a call for VAR but there clearly not!
You at spurs would of been out wrongly, yet I have seen PSG go out to man united for a incorrect had ball imo? The spurs 3rd goal most certainly hit his arm before it went in? Wrongly our rightly bar will stay and I hope it becomes more consistent, 1st leg a Man City player could of been sent off for a elbow on Kane on the ground, I just really hope they learn to use it correctly and consistently

Allow the game to flow and let the ref or linesman make their mistakes as in the past .
After the final whistle have some light entertainment, eg Status Quo miming to their greatest hits .
During this period, run VAR from minutes 1 to 90 plus stoppage , then deduct or add on any goals that should have been given or deleted.
Then announce the result after some kind of fanfare or drum roll . It would add to the match day experience and possibly help clubs sell a bit more catering .
...just getting my coat
:lol:

The issue I have with VAR is it appears to take context out of it. Like a referee can judge if a tackle was enough to bring someone down. Once it goes to VAR it seems to simply be a case of looking to see if a player touched the ball or not, and if not, a foul is given. Same with handball shouts, once it goes to VAR it seems like its basically if it hits the hand it's handball. Even yesterday when they were looking at Spurs' third goal. Okay it hit his hip/thigh but even if it had brushed his arm there was nothing deliberate about it and it would still have ended up in the net. However I suspect had the replay showed any contact at all with his arm it would have been ruled out.

So as you say, in tight decisions, it'll actually cause more controversy.
It did show it hit his arm as his forearm muscles rippled after impact plus there's another view behind the goal showing the ball chabge direction twice, once after hitting his arm and the other after his hip. Even Keown pointed this out on TV.

This would completely destroy the game. Also the offside wasn’t in the same phase as the goal, he dragged back then passed between offside and goal. How far are we going to roll back footage to find a minor offence to disallow goals?

VAR is built on the premise of overturning clear and obvious errors. This was nowhere near clear and obvious, no advantage was gained by Aguero and the goal was 2 phases of football further on. You’d be incredibly annoyed if you were denied that goal

I don’t doubt it was hilarious to watch individuals suffer. Doesn’t make it correct though
Eh? :lol: He was offside at the point Silva touched the ball but it wasn't flagged once he went to play and touched the ball. Just because he made 1 step back onside and passed to Sterling seconds after doesn't mean it's 2 more phases :lol:

He was offside, it's as simple as that. This angle makes it look less than it was as it's from a TV sideways on that I just nicked off Twitter.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:

Back