VARguments

Simply put imo, people need to get used to it.

It’s not going way, in fact the complete opposite, it will be refined more to be brought fully into the game.

Anyone who watches football nowadays can clearly see that refs under modern football will always make mistakes.

And if we want less mistakes and less injustices, VAR is essential.

I find it hard to believe anyone can be happy with it. It's a complete farce and another step towards ruining football. I'm dreading the day it's a regular thing in SAFC games.

I have the complete opposite view mate, I find hard to believe people are happy with incorrect decisions costing teams, when it could be put right!

Last edited:
I'm not keen on the format. In tennis they have three appeals per set. I'd prefer some thing like that, the manager can appeal a couple of decisions per match, rather than a faceless interruption of a last minute winner minutes into the celebration.

It’s a load of f***ing shit. Another attempt to sterilise everything, over analyse every minute detail, make decisions off slow motion f***ing replays and take away the passion just for those watching at home.

The armchair fans are more important now sadly, particularly in the Prem.

Simply put imo, people need to get used to it.

It’s not going way, in fact the complete opposite, it will be refined more to be brought fully into the game.

Anyone who watches football nowadays can clearly see that refs under modern football will always make mistakes.

And if we want less mistakes and less injustices, VAR is essential.

I have the complete opposite view mate, I find hard to believe people are happy with incorrect decisions costing teams, when it could be put right!
Just takes all the emotion out for me. Scoring a goal then stood round like lemons while the ref checks a screen. Mistakes have always happened and they still will with or without VAR, if people think atmospheres are bad now wait til next season cause this will kill them even more. I get that it might give a few more correct decisions but for me the negatives far out weigh the positives.

Just takes all the emotion out for me. Scoring a goal then stood round like lemons while the ref checks a screen. Mistakes have always happened and they still will with or without VAR, if people think atmospheres are bad now wait til next season cause this will kill them even more. I get that it might give a few more correct decisions but for me the negatives far out weigh the positives.

I respect your point mate, but your last sentence is matter of opinion.

If there was no VAR last night, Tottenham would have been wrongly knocked out.

Imo correcting wrongs is more important.

There is also the massive issue of fans not accepting understandable mistakes by officials, which there clearly don't.

Maybe if these mistakes were accepted as part and parcel of the game ( like you say mistakes have always happened) there would be less of a call for VAR but there clearly not!

That is true and will always be the case in the tighter decisions. I would think VAR will get the vast majority spot on, whereas refs do get pelters (almost) every game.

The issue I have with VAR is it appears to take context out of it. Like a referee can judge if a tackle was enough to bring someone down. Once it goes to VAR it seems to simply be a case of looking to see if a player touched the ball or not, and if not, a foul is given. Same with handball shouts, once it goes to VAR it seems like its basically if it hits the hand it's handball. Even yesterday when they were looking at Spurs' third goal. Okay it hit his hip/thigh but even if it had brushed his arm there was nothing deliberate about it and it would still have ended up in the net. However I suspect had the replay showed any contact at all with his arm it would have been ruled out.

So as you say, in tight decisions, it'll actually cause more controversy.

Last edited:
The issue I have with VAR is it appears to take context out of it. Like a referee can judge if a tackle was enough to bring someone down. Once it goes to VAR it seems to simply be a case of looking to see if a player touched the ball or not, and if not, a foul is given. Same with handball shouts, once it goes to VAR it seems like its basically if it hits the hand it's handball. Even yesterday when they were looking at Spurs' third goal. Okay it hit his hip/thigh but even if it had brushed his arm there was nothing deliberate about it and it would still have ended up in the net. However I suspect had the replay showed any contact at all with his arm it would have been ruled out.

So as you say, in tight decisions, it'll actually cause more controversy.

That will be the case officially from next season. The rules are being changed so that a goal can't be scored if it has gone in off hand or arm, even if the contact is accidental.

Added to the tension last night which is enjoyable when you don’t support any of the teams

It’s class how the stadium fell silent waiting for the decision

Goal was chalked off sharpish tbf. It was Spurs goal that took an age.

That Spurs goal was the kind of decision where, in rugby, the different questions the referee asks the TMO would help. "Try or not?" (meaning I'm really not certain) and "Is there any reason not to award a try?" (meaning I'm pretty sure, but just double check in case I've missed something) makes a huge difference. I'd suggest the Llorente goal fell into the second category, and, if that had been the question, the decision much quicker, as there was not a clear handball.

IIRC there were two dodgy decisions given against Croatia in the World Cup final, I can't remember if VAR was involved mind but assume it was.

Edit handball for the pen and I think whatever happened in the lead up to the free kick for the first.

Last edited:
I've been at match where a linesman has (incorrectly) ruled out 3 goals in a single game for offside. None of that happens, ever, with VAR. I bet Cardiff wouldn't have minded VAR 2 weeks ago, when Chelsea scored a late goal that was 3 yards offside - a goal that might well relegate Cardiff. That goal is overturned in 20 seconds, piss easy decision. Happens every f***ing week man.

I'm sure they wouldn't have. But what if there'd been another incident prior to the offside where a Cardiff player had committed an infringement, but VAR didn't look at that? You'll can't use VAR for some incidents, but disregard other incidents, which is what will happen.

I'm not against VAR if it can make football better without having a detrimental effect on the (in particular) match going fan. At the moment it can't do that.

Last edited:
I'm sure they wouldn't have. But what if there'd been another incident prior to the offside where a Cardiff player had committed an infringement, but VAR didn't look at that? You'll can't use VAR for some incidents, but disregard other incidents, which is what will happen.

I'm not against VAR if it can make football better without having a detrimental effect on the (in particular) match going fan. At the moment it can't do that.

Exactly how far do you go back

Think after City had scored they were looking at a penalty incident before about 3 minutes in the Spurs area

Back