Urgent advice needed Gatwick to Heathrow

Belfast is a great place. Are you going into/from city airport or international?

Totally this. Love Belfast me. Personally suggest you get the hop on hop off bus, you can see the "troubles tour" which goes along the Shankhill Road as well as Falls Road. You can also see the Crumlin Road jail, (I think I might have read it's being converted into a hotel now so that might not be possible any more).

Also the Titanic museum near Haarland and Wolf. I spent ages in there, really enjoyed it.

You can easily spend 4-5 hours doung that, plus it will still give you time to get back to the airport for your connecting flight. Enjoy.

Well after covering most of Europe trying to book flights to the uk. I'm sorted . Advice on here is better than a travel agency

See Manc is not a bad option. On the way back, can't you fly to somewhere else in Europe and then fly on e.g. Italy, France etc... (not sure where Newcastle has flights to that would fly onto Malta).
Going back from Liverpool. Not ideal but best option .

The state of our public transport system is farcical..

I've flown from Leeds Bradford to Munich and the stark contrast is laughable.

When you arrive in Munich you have the following to choose from:

1. Train
2. S bahn (tram), 1, 2 & 3 integrate very well
3. U bahn (underground)
4. Bus
5. Taxi

When you arrive in Leeds you can essentially fend for yourself

1. Bus
2. Taxi

Re: Gatwick Heathrow, I wonder if National Express are a major contributor to the Tory party?

The state of our public transport system is farcical..

I've flown from Leeds Bradford to Munich and the stark contrast is laughable.

When you arrive in Munich you have the following to choose from:

1. Train
2. S bahn (tram), 1, 2 & 3 integrate very well
3. U bahn (underground)
4. Bus
5. Taxi

When you arrive in Leeds you can essentially fend for yourself

1. Bus
2. Taxi

Re: Gatwick Heathrow, I wonder if National Express are a major contributor to the Tory party?

The S-Bahn* is a train not a tram. You can get the S1 & S8 to the city centre. The U-Bahn & trams don't service the airport. I agree with you that public transport to/from British airports is by & large shocking compared to Germany, Belgium & Holland. The only exception in Germany that I can think of is Berlin Tegel. Its as bad as LBA for public transport options.

*The S stands for Suburban and S-Bahn literally means Suburban Rail. Strassenbahn is what tram systems are called.

The S-Bahn* is a train not a tram. You can get the S1 & S8 to the city centre. The U-Bahn & trams don't service the airport. I agree with you that public transport to/from British airports is by & large shocking compared to Germany, Belgium & Holland. The only exception in Germany that I can think of is Berlin Tegel. Its as bad as LBA for public transport options.

*The S stands for Suburban and S-Bahn literally means Suburban Rail. Strassenbahn is what tram systems are called.

S Bahn historically means Strassen Bahn (Street Train). Any developments or derivatives are not my responsibility but the last time I was there the S Bahn went to the hairy port.

Tegel may as well be in the UK as its an absolute cluster foo

S Bahn historically means Strassen Bahn (Street Train). Any developments or derivatives are not my responsibility but the last time I was there the S Bahn went to the hairy port.

Tegel may as well be in the UK as its an absolute cluster foo

S-Bahn has never been used for trams and doesn't stand for Strassen but stands for Schnellbahn, Stadtbahn or Stadtschnellbahn in German. And yes, the S-Bahn (train) goes to the airport, but the U-Bahn (underground) & Strassenbahn (trams) don't.

I'm flying back to the UK in December. The day I fly no direct flights to Newcastle. So I'm flying from here to Gatwick then Heathrow to Newcastle. I have two hours approx to get from Gatwick to Heathrow.
Can this be done ?
Cheers

Mate, you're pushing it to be honest. 2 hours to get out of Gatwick to then into Heathrow is not something I'd contemplate tackling.

If you have to fly back that day, get the train from Gatwick to London Victoria and then train from Kings Cross is my advice.

Mate, you're pushing it to be honest. 2 hours to get out of Gatwick to then into Heathrow is not something I'd contemplate tackling.

If you have to fly back that day, get the train from Gatwick to London Victoria and then train from Kings Cross is my advice.

He knows:

Sorted going to Manchester then train up.
Way back looking like via Belfast FFS .
Will have 7 hours to kill in Belfast.
Never been before, is 7 hours in Belfast any good ?

Better to get a Thameslink train direct from Gatwick Airport to St Pancras (about 50 minutes) and waddle across the road to Kings Cross, avoids the tube completely. Trains every few minutes

Better to get a Thameslink train direct from Gatwick Airport to St Pancras (about 50 minutes) and waddle across the road to Kings Cross, avoids the tube completely. Trains every few minutes

I don't think that service was running the last time I had to go through Gatwick. Noted.

He knows:
Fair enough.

I've not had time to go through other people's comments.

Back