Universal Credit

• Thread starter Deleted member 20720
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

No the UC underpayment never gets made up. I'll you put months in to make it easier to follow.

Assessment Jan 10th-Feb 9th. Paid on Jan 11th, then paid early on Feb 9th instead of 11th so UC is lost.
Assessment Feb 10th - Mar 9th. No pay as Feb pay came in early. UC think you are not working so you lose your inwork allowances.
Assessment Mar 10th - Apr 9th. Paid on March 11th, so have to reclaim UC.

There are other things linked to UC like free prescriptions and free school dinners. So when you lose the UC, you also lose those.

You really couldn't make this shit up :neutral:

Wow that's just really bad , sounds like I'd be better off on ESA and not working at all. Real incentive to work there isn't it :confused:

Although thinking about it I don't think we get our pay early "officially" it's always the 5th even if the cash is in so I think I'll just make sure with my boss that it's always the 5th and never any earlier

Last edited:
That's what has been claimed, an absolute disgrace if true, like i can afford to lose 4 monthly payments a year ffs :(.
That's disgusting if true.

Just googled it and found this. Mental if correct.

"You would think being paid calendar monthly would result in consistent UC payments throughout the year, however this is not the case for my daughter, in fact it is 10 times worse in her case!
Even though she is paid calendar monthly and her circumstances do not change, her UC are paid erratically every single month.
That is because when the DWP set up this new system they completely overlooked the fact that not all months have a 29th, 30th or 31st.
My daughter made her initial claim for UC online, on the 31st of the month so her assessment periods now run from the 31st to the 30th of every month. But because there isn't a 31st or 30th every month her AP dates change resulting in it picking up 2 months wages in 1 assessment period. Another month it will pick up no wages at all; however the month where it picks up no wages she isn't paid the full amount that she lost out on the previous month, so every time this occurs she is over £100 worse off.
It happens throughout the entire year, not just once per year which she might possibly be able to budget for if that were the case.
So far No one at DWP is interested is sorting this issue out."

Last edited:
That's disgusting if true.

It's true:
Universal Credit: different earning patterns and your payments (payment cycles)

7. If you’re paid weekly

If you’re paid weekly by your employer, you will get either 4 or 5 payments of earnings within a Universal Credit assessment period. Depending on the amount you get paid this may affect your Universal Credit.

When you have 5 weekly earnings payments within an assessment period, your income may be too high to qualify for Universal Credit in that month.

If this happens you will be notified that your income is too high and you will no longer get Universal Credit.

You can re-apply the following month as you should only get 4 wage payments in your assessment period then.

You will need to be prepared for a month when you get 5 wage payments in one assessment period and budget for a potential change in your monthly Universal Credit payments.

Logon or register to see this image

Will that not just mean you'll get too much one month and too little the next etc etc thus working out right in the end?

That's what has been claimed, an absolute disgrace if true, like i can afford to lose 4 monthly payments a year ffs :(.
It is an absolute disgrace. But I'd expect nothing less from the tories

Will that not just mean you'll get too much one month and too little the next etc etc thus working out right in the end?
I thought the same thing and apparently no as it looks like your not working so won't get the extra in work benefits

Last edited:
No the UC underpayment never gets made up. I'll you put months in to make it easier to follow.

Assessment Jan 10th-Feb 9th. Paid on Jan 11th, then paid early on Feb 9th instead of 11th so UC is lost.
Assessment Feb 10th - Mar 9th. No pay as Feb pay came in early. UC think you are not working so you lose your inwork allowances.

There are other things linked to UC like free prescriptions and free school dinners. So when you lose the UC, you also lose those.

@AndrewP

Explains it better than I can

No it doesn't work out right in the end. As it's assessed on a month by month basis, what you lose on one month with a five weekly pay packets isn't made up on a four week month.

I can't find the figures, but I saw an example of someone being paid £x in 12 equal installments and getting 12 equal UC payments. If another person was paid the same salary split over 52 weeks and had fluctuating UC payments due to the four and five week months, overall they end up with less total annual income than the other person.

It's true:
Universal Credit: different earning patterns and your payments (payment cycles)

7. If you’re paid weekly

If you’re paid weekly by your employer, you will get either 4 or 5 payments of earnings within a Universal Credit assessment period. Depending on the amount you get paid this may affect your Universal Credit.

When you have 5 weekly earnings payments within an assessment period, your income may be too high to qualify for Universal Credit in that month.

If this happens you will be notified that your income is too high and you will no longer get Universal Credit.

You can re-apply the following month as you should only get 4 wage payments in your assessment period then.

You will need to be prepared for a month when you get 5 wage payments in one assessment period and budget for a potential change in your monthly Universal Credit payments.

Logon or register to see this image
I love how they even bundle in some explanatory graphics, to make it seem like it's by design, rather than a complete fuck up :oops::lol:

No it doesn't work out right in the end. As it's assessed on a month by month basis, what you lose on one month with a five weekly pay packets isn't made up on a four week month.

I can't find the figures, but I saw an example of someone being paid £x in 12 equal installments and getting 12 equal UC payments. If another person was paid the same salary split over 52 weeks and had fluctuating UC payments due to the four and five week months, overall they end up with less total annual income than the other person.
Fair enough mate. If people lose out then it's obviously wrong. It sounds like a barv complicated system. It's going to cause chaos once it starts looking in working people, many with mortgages. Families earning circa £40k will be kicking off.

Absolute hike in that case. It's going to be enough to bring down a government once it starts to be impact the mortgage holding doing "ok" people.

It’s also a nightmare when an employer can’t be arsed to send the earnings through on time, earnings are reported weeks and even months late by the employer but the earnings are then used in the assessment period they are reported and not when they are earned.

What happens when the month after you get 2 payments the next month is back to normal payment will your income not state £0 so the UC will make up the difference? If that makes sense

ForFexample, your UC runs from 10th-9th
You get paid normally on the 11th but as it's a weekend get paid on the 9th.
But the next month it's back to normal so you'll be paid on the 11th.
So that UC cycle there's no payment.

Yes is the answer to that question you would get full UC with nothing at all taken off you as you have not been paid anything between the 10th and the 9th.

The second point above is completely wrong Feb 10th - Mar 9th if no pay received in that period you would get full UC.

It’s also a nightmare when an employer can’t be arsed to send the earnings through on time, earnings are reported weeks and even months late by the employer but the earnings are then used in the assessment period they are reported and not when they are earned.

Tbf if a employer reports earnings late, they can’t be taken into account on UC when they earned as that period will be passed by then.

Last edited:
This is the party that gave the same people a kicking by introducing the Bedroom Tax immediately after getting into government, they don't give a fuck what hardships they cause.

The main problem and unfairness of UC is that George Osbourne in the budget in 2015 wiped 2 billion of it.

Before that anyone transferring over from tax credits would have been better off under UC or at the very least the same.

Now some transferring over from tax credits could be actually worse off which cannot and is not fair.

This is what Ian Duncan-Smith resigned over because he introduced UC to make work pay and Osborne destroyed that by reducing them figures massively meaning that UC is now less generous.

He was right and wanted UC to be more generous yet ironically he still gets pelted loads!

Suppose you claim UC from today, then your UC claim assessment will run from 13th-12th each month. Any money received during those dates counts is assessed. On weekly pay, some months you'll be getting five weeks wages instead of four during the assessment month. On those months, your UC will be reduced.

It's really harsh on people like yourself who are not on calendar month pay or people who get a one-off bonus or people who do a few extra hours to cover holidays/sickness/busy peroid at work or something.

Suppose something happens at work and you do some extra hours to help out and earn an extra £100. You lose 20% from that in tax (£20) and 12% in NI (£12), then you lose 63p per pound under your UC assessment (£63). So that means for every £100 earned, it leaves you a whole £5 better off in your pocket. The tories - making work pay :rolleyes:

That's wrong as well because the taper starts on the net pay not the gross.

Not sure whether it will work out in the end or balance out, probably will not.

But the way UC works is that they is tfigure that is worked out on people's circumstances.

Say for the purposes of a example let's say a person's figure is £800 per month. ( assessment period)

If they have earnings in that month them earnings are taken of that £800, less the taper and unfortunately if someone gets 2 monthly payments in that same month (assessment period) then yes two loads of wages are taken off that £800.

However if somebody gets no earnings at all in that month, they is nothing to take off as nothing earned so would receive full UC i.e the £800.

Last edited:
The main problem and unfairness of UC is that George Osbourne in the budget in 2015 wiped 2 billion of it.

Before that anyone transferring over from tax credits would have been better off under UC or at the very least the same.

Now some transferring over from tax credits could be actually worse off which cannot and is not fair.

This is what Ian Duncan-Smith resigned over because he introduced UC to make work pay and Osborne destroyed that by reducing them figures massively meaning that UC is now less generous.

He was right and wanted UC to be more generous yet ironically he still gets pelted loads!

That's wrong as well because the taper starts on the net pay not the gross.

Not sure whether it will work out in the end or balance out, probably will not.

But the way UC works is that they is tfigure that is worked out on people's circumstances.

Say for the purposes of a example let's say a person's figure is £800 per month. ( assessment period)

If they have earnings in that month them earnings are taken of that £800, less the taper and unfortunately if someone gets 2 monthly payments in that same month (assessment period) then yes two loads of wages are taken off that £800.

However if somebody gets no earnings at all in that month, they is nothing to take off as nothing earned so would receive full UC i.e the £800.
:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back