Universal Credit

• Thread starter Deleted member 20720
  • Start date

The resident Tories will be all for this. Time and again it’s shown what a cynical government Britain has. Divide and rule, backed up with a right wing media dominated country and we can look forward to more and more.

It’s just a laugh that they brought a fixed term parliament law into place, may disregards it, calls an election, is then in power due to a bribe to a Northern Ireland party, then reinstated the law, so we have this until 2022

They don’t give a shite about this country as most of them will have money safely offshore.

People already in work but on a low income with suffer greatly as they'll get a lot less under Universal Credit than they do under Tax Credits as the taper relief is much greater and income thresholds are much lower. Yet the tories are banging on that being in work pays. Two faced twats.

Yep worked it out the other day I work 20 hours a week (can't really do any more sure to my health, I could claim ESA but it's too much hassle and I enjoy my job) I will be £70 a month worse off than on tax credits, which is a lot when your only on minimum wage already.

I'm not even sure where I stand whether I have to attend job centre and do the whole job search thing so I will have to get a job with more hours? No idea....

I'm praying I don't have any change in circumstances before the eventual migration from legacy benefits - as that way I'll get the same amount once the change occurs.
There's an online calculator I used to see what the difference is. At first it didn't look like much, until I realised it was per month currently my tax credits is 4 weekly so it's 1 less payment a year , not great when people are struggling already. I'm glad my son is now 13 so don't have childcare to pay for

Last edited:
Yep worked it out the other day I work 20 hours a week (can't really do any more sure to my health, I could claim ESA but it's too much hassle and I enjoy my job) I will be £70 a month worse off than on tax credits, which is a lot when your only on minimum wage already.

I'm not even sure where I stand whether I have to attend job centre and do the whole job search thing so I will have to get a job with more hours? No idea....

There's an online calculator I used to see what the difference is. At first it didn't look like much, until I realised it was per month currently my tax credits is 4 weekly so it's 1 less payment a year , not great when people are struggling already. I'm glad my son is now 13 so don't have childcare to pay for
I currently get weekly tax credits and fortnightly HB payments so yes, that is one way certainly that my payments will drop too. Set of twats, they don't give a fuck tbh.

It's recalculated monthly as well which throws up problems. I've read stories about people being paid a day or two early as their pay day falls on a weekend (quite a common thing to happen). However if that makes two wage payments fall in your UC calendar month, you lose all of your UC as they think you have earned double what you usually earn. I've read stories of people finding this out when they query why they haven't had their usual UC payment only for them to find they are not getting it. This is wrong, especially when it includes the housing benefit element.

They are talking about changing the goalposts and it's working people with children who will suffer most :(

"Oh just work some more hours" Esther McVey says breezily. Yes because it's that simple for people who already work full time in low paid jobs. Clearly there's loads of really cheap childcare available evenings and weekends in cloud cuckoo land.

Esther McVey is a lying malicious bucket of shit

Cannot get my head round who the hell thought making people wait 5 weeks for the first payment to kick in was any kind of rational thinking. But you can go and ask for a advance from the nash if your struggling!!!!!!!! Of course people are going to struggle. Just pay them from f***ing day one you heartless twats.
You're right there mate. I would like to see them live on fuck all for 5 weeks first. I doubt many Mps have ever had to do without in their lives.

Last edited:
It's recalculated monthly as well which throws up problems. I've read stories about people being paid a day or two early as their pay day falls on a weekend (quite a common thing to happen). However if that makes two wage payments fall in your UC calendar month, you lose all of your UC as they think you have earned double what you usually earn. I've read stories of people finding this out when they query why they haven't had their usual UC payment only for them to find they are not getting it. This is wrong, especially when it includes the housing benefit element.

That's shocking, wow, speechless really that the system can be so fucked up. So I get paid on the 5th of every month but i get paid cash, so if it's in early I just have to say I can't collect it until a certain day? Or it won't matter I just don't pay it into the bank straight away? It will be tough on people who get paid 4 weekly as sometime they will have 2 lots of payments a month. Not sure when we move on to it in Durham. I know it's rolled out now to new claimants and change of circumstances but hopefully it'll be s long as possible until I get charged over

That's shocking, wow, speechless really that the system can be so fucked up. So I get paid on the 5th of every month but i get paid cash, so if it's in early I just have to say I can't collect it until a certain day? Or it won't matter I just don't pay it into the bank straight away? It will be tough on people who get paid 4 weekly as sometime they will have 2 lots of payments a month. Not sure when we move on to it in Durham. I know it's rolled out now to new claimants and change of circumstances but hopefully it'll be s long as possible until I get charged over

I'm not sure how it works with cash. They use figures that your employer send to HMRC with your payslip so possibly there's no way around it by asking them to give you the cash late.

Couple of links about it:
Working people ‘losing hundreds due to Universal Credit assessment dates’
Universal credit assessment period inflexibility | Child Poverty Action Group

Yes the people who get paid four weekly lose all their UC for a month when they get two wage payments in a UC claim month.

I'm not sure how it works with cash. They use figures that your employer send to HMRC with your payslip so possibly there's no way around it by asking them to give you the cash late.

Yes the people who get paid four weekly lose all their UC for a month when they get two wage payments in a UC claim month.
Heard something on news about this today, jesus,,,man landed on the moon nearly fifty years ago and we still cannot sort glitches like this out.

Fingers crossed it is all sorted out by the time I move over then, and glad I left my old job as I was paid 4 weekly. I really am speechless by it all

Back