Uncle Ben's rice firm to scrap brand image of black farmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
And do you think that a child in a different country got the same warts and all perspective? With exactly the same viewpoints and understanding?
I'm sorry, I can only vouch for the education I got. I can't vouch for South Korea, Uzbekistan, India or any other country. Can you tell me their exact curriculum?
Look forward to the OP making a cheb of himself commenting on US racial politics from an "I didn't know so it doesn't matter" perspective.

FYI "Uncle" and "Aunt" are titles that were given to elderly household slaves in the Confederacy.
My Aunty Mary and Uncle Peter aren't house slaves mate.
Honest

Change it to a white person

Problem solved
What and wipe black faces from view eh? Problem solved . ? f***ing fascist .
Seriously though it's a good move , I think the bit in the write up about black men being called " boy" or "uncle" as an attempt to avoid using Mr is particularly pertinent to American black psyche or even colonial people of colour asian too come to that . Boys answer to bwana and sahibs.
Not a raging issue but good to see thought widening gradually .

I'm sorry, I can only vouch for the education I got. I can't vouch for South Korea, Uzbekistan, India or any other country. Can you tell me their exact curriculum?

My Aunty Mary and Uncle Peter aren't house slaves mate.
Honest
Example: Most kids in Europe will learn about World War 2, and the key facts, and dates and battles and that Hitler was bad. But the perspective they learn will totally depend which country try they are in. I imagine Polish kids learn a fuck load more than we do about their role in the war. It’s not wrong, it’s just a different perspective.

I remember learning about Captain Cook at school. I can bet that the bit that I learned was totally different from the bit that Aussie kids learn. Especially native Aussies.

Example: Most kids in Europe will learn about World War 2, and the key facts, and dates and battles and that Hitler was bad. But the perspective they learn will totally depend which country try they are in. I imagine Polish kids learn a fuck load more than we do about their role in the war. It’s not wrong, it’s just a different perspective.

I remember learning about Captain Cook at school. I can bet that the bit that I learned was totally different from the bit that Aussie kids learn. Especially native Aussies.
And your point is?
As I said, I think I had a fairly balanced perspective shown to me by my teachers.
Again, I can't vouch for kids in Poland and Australia. To expect teachers to teach history from the perspective of every single country involved in every global event is quite absurd tbh. There wouldn't be enough hours in the day.

I'll settle for balanced

EDIT: Although I will concede I can't remember ever being taught to examine the clothing on display on packets of foodstuffs, just in case...

Last edited:
What and wipe black faces from view eh? Problem solved . ? f***ing fascist .
Seriously though it's a good move , I think the bit in the write up about black men being called " boy" or "uncle" as an attempt to avoid using Mr is particularly pertinent to American black psyche or even colonial people of colour asian too come to that . Boys answer to bwana and sahibs.
Not a raging issue but good to see thought widening gradually .
How else to do we deal with the brutal racism exhibited by this rice based product if not to remove any reference to black people whatsoever?

And your point is?
As I said, I think I had a fairly balanced perspective shown to me by my teachers.
Again, I can't vouch for kids in Poland and Australia. To expect teachers to teach history from the perspective of every single country involved in every global event is quite absurd tbh. There wouldn't be enough hours in the day.

I'll settle for balanced

EDIT: Although I will concede I can't remember ever being taught to examine the clothing on display on packets of foodstuffs, just in case...
I’m not saying they should teach every perspective. Of course that’s impossible.

I’m just recognising that’s there ARE other perspectives, and not everyone gets an understanding of all of them. As you’ve just admitted, that’s impossible.

But because there is more than one perspective of history, it follows that “your” perspective is not always the right one.

No, but I wonder if that tells a story of my lack of education around issues of this type - because I’m white and that, I’ve not really learned a lot of black history and why this kind of shit might be important.

Just because I don’t seethe problem, doesn’t mean it’s not one.

That’s kinda the whole f***ing issue here. It’s time white people stopped being the deciders of what’s history and what’s not. We need to start looking at things from the perspective of other people and asking them.

Perfectly put

I’m not saying they should teach every perspective. Of course that’s impossible.

I’m just recognising that’s there ARE other perspectives, and not everyone gets an understanding of all of them. As you’ve just admitted, that’s impossible.

But because there is more than one perspective of history, it follows that “your” perspective is not always the right one.

Horatio certainly seems to post a load of dumbfuck conservative crack for somebody who claims to be a liberal centrist, but that's just my perspective.

What the op needs to do is NOT start threads then wait for someone else to start a thread, pile onto Google and get some info on the topic and weild it like a sword as if you knew all along.

No, but I wonder if that tells a story of my lack of education around issues of this type - because I’m white and that, I’ve not really learned a lot of black history and why this kind of shit might be important.

Just because I don’t seethe problem, doesn’t mean it’s not one.

That’s kinda the whole f***ing issue here. It’s time white people stopped being the deciders of what’s history and what’s not. We need to start looking at things from the perspective of other people and asking them.

The thing about the most of history of the modern world it is fairly white.

Maths, the Arabs had a bit of input.

Philosophy -white
Language -white
development of the economy - white
Technology - white
Medical advances - white
Art and literature - white
etc etc etc

people can deride the studying of dead white males but what we think, how we think, what we have discovered have, in the main, from dead white males.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back