Uncle Ben's rice firm to scrap brand image of black farmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Change it to a white person

Problem solved

A good mate of mine (of Afro Caribbean heritage) explained his love of Will Smith films.

As a young lad, Fresh Prince was one of the few TV shows that featured almost all black people as well as addressing black issues - admittedly in a light hearted manner.

I am aware of the reason why some of the images under recent scrutiny may be viewed negatively but it took decades for images of black people to become 'acceptable' at all.

What we as society do with such imagery and any chosen replacement will define a new generation, whether they want it or not.

They may end up laughing at this global hand wringing and furrowed browiness

2 questions, what would you cover? and what do you think is worth covering?
Fucks me, theres a good question mate
Someone asked me if I'd heard of the Tulsa massacre earlier in the thread and I'll freely admit that I hadn't. The Tulsa massacre was a tiny event in comparison to a myriad of other events.
Where do we start? People are saying we should have more black history but what about Asian history? South American? How many people know of the events at Wounded knee? Arguably more significant than Tulsa. The English civil war? Fort Parker? Tamujin? The Belgian kings intervention in the Congo?
The list is endless

Mind you, there was a teacher on the telly this morning who reckons the kids just forget it quickly anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back