Unavailable Eleven

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the team that gave away a 2 goal lead to Palace at home - look familiar ? He had most of the players for the first 10 games and couldn't win one.

What a load of cherry-picked twaddle. The OP wasn't saying we should be playing the unavailable team - he's just pointing out how we are currently lacking for depth.

If you actually look at the squads we fielded for the first ten winless games, you will note a heavy dose of Rodwell/Pienaar/McNair/Gooch. They were a large chunk of our midfield for most of those games and would be on the bench if we had a healthy first team.

If you want a comparison, look at the squad that faced Chelsea-Watford-ManU. If we could put that side out every week things would be somewhat different.

Pickford
Manquillo - Kone - Djilobodji - Denayer
Watmore - Kirchoff - Cattermole - Gooch - Peinaar
Anichebe

Sums up the number one reason why we're nowhere near games at the moment. Any team, no matter where they are in the league, would struggle to perform when they have almost a full first team squad unavailable to them.
Nail on the head marra - we can criticise Moyes as much as we like, his tactics and team selection might not be to everybody's taste etc., but the injuries have been a nightmare, AFCON has made it worse, and now Jilly will likely be out for four extra matches - AND even the back ups have had their share of injuries, with Rodwell injured now as well, Seb, Borini, Jones being out for a chunk of the season earlier on. Then we've got PVA and Borini seeming having had their heads turned, so they're not pulling their weight either. You'd have thought sometime soon our luck would change - to be fair it's a miracle we're not miles adrift at the bottom.

What a load of cherry-picked twaddle. The OP wasn't saying we should be playing the unavailable team - he's just pointing out how we are currently lacking for depth.

If you actually look at the squads we fielded for the first ten winless games, you will note a heavy dose of Rodwell/Pienaar/McNair/Gooch. They were a large chunk of our midfield for most of those games and would be on the bench if we had a healthy first team.

If you want a comparison, look at the squad that faced Chelsea-Watford-ManU. If we could put that side out every week things would be somewhat different.

Ironic considering you're focusing on our only stretch of form in the season where we weren't completely abysmal.

Ironic considering you're focusing on our only stretch of form in the season where we weren't completely abysmal.

Then you know little about stats or sample sizes. Comparing a squad that played in one game with the team's performance over a 10-12 game span are two different things. And all I'm doing with that sample is comparing how we did (8th best overall) with how other sides did in the same period. It's a reflection of what Moyes can do IF he has players available (which he didn't at the start of the season or for this month), nothing more, and a basis for some optimism going forward.

I suppose I could always say that the team is shite, no players are coming in, we are doomed, throw in the towel and, for some reason unbeknownst to me, keeping coming in here and clogging the board with the same moans over and over....

Pickford
Anichebe

Sums up the number one reason why we're nowhere near games at the moment. Any team, no matter where they are in the league, would struggle to perform when they have almost a full first team squad unavailable to them.
3 in bold have all been available. Kone has played basically every game bar the last few since burnley. Pickford similar and wouldnt have got a game in the first place if mannone didnt get injured. Anichebe has just been rushed back and is now injured again (which isnt a suprise anyway). Gooch and piennar wouldnt be anywhere near the squad generally. Cattermole and kirchoff are renound for being injured so thats no suprise either. Problem is the signings we made havent improved on those two so it is more of a blow than it should be. He has been unfortunate with injuries, but to put our form generally at the door is disingenuous. For most of the season we have been shit whether weve had players fit or not. Weve had one tiny purple patch and thats it

Then you know little about stats or sample sizes. Comparing a squad that played in one game with the team's performance over a 10-12 game span are two different things. And all I'm doing with that sample is comparing how we did (8th best overall) with how other sides did in the same period. It's a reflection of what Moyes can do IF he has players available (which he didn't at the start of the season or for this month), nothing more, and a basis for some optimism going forward.

I suppose I could always say that the team is shite, no players are coming in, we are doomed, throw in the towel and, for some reason unbeknownst to me, keeping coming in here and clogging the board with the same moans over and over....

Do whatever you like mate.

This is forgetting the ACON as well. We've been absolutely decimated by missing players, it's making a huge difference to performances. We're still in with a shout anarl. Mad really how shit Palace must be.
Problem is Palace will get Zaha back. IMO he'll offer more to Palace than our returnees will offer us.

With a full squad, there is competition for places and people generally try harder.
When you only have 13 fit players and the kids, there is no competition for places and some lazy tossers don't bother.

And short is still refusing to invest, given the extreme circumstances we are in its f***ing dispicable.

£10M? Maths not your strong suit? Not terrible, 6/10? Try 6 out of 100, it's nearer the mark.

It looks like he was given circa £20M and whatever he raised (about £5M from Giac and Kaboul).

McNair is nothing short of terrible. He'll never make a midfielder at this level, he's a country mile behind Rodwell.

Ndong isn't worth half what we paid. He's played half a season and got no goals and perhaps 1 assist. Papy has gifted goals left, right and centre. Sent off twice. There's his budget right there. A pile of f***ing garbage by premier league standards for circa £25M

His loan signings are f***ing shocking too. 3 players and not one any better than what we already had.

It's a f***ing joke and a nightmare by a very experienced manager.

Massively massively agree, hit the nail on the head Keith my good friend.

Let's be honest son, the amount he's invested over the years to no return, can you blame Ell?
Damn right I'll blame him, doesn't matter how much he's invested you can't simply have a hissy fit and lose interest in the club when things haven't gone your way. I haven't given up going to watch that shower of shit ever other week and he shouldn't be giving up supporting the team and the manager.

The team is in a right sorry state and he's doing nothing about it. He has a responsibility to leave the club in a better state than he found it, but it seems he's resigned to relegation.
If thats the case then how f***ing dare he... this is the richest year of football sunderland have ever experienced and he's refusing transfer funds? Fuck Him.

Pickford
Anichebe

In terms of quality only Pickford and Kone what make a difference!Anichebe and Kirchoff at a push,obviously would give more strength in depth, but it's not as if we have loads of good players on the sidelines.

I don't really care how we looked - it's the results that count. And if we are to survive we need to keep getting wins against poor sides. All the teams below Burnley are playing poorly and since the beginning of November (12 games), Swansea, Boro, Leicester, Watford, Hull and Palace have all been worse than us despite all of our injuries and absences. That's fact, not delusion. That is cause for optimism not throwing in the towel.

There is nowt like biased fans looking through red and white glasses, wish I had your optimism!!

It always amazes me how people can put a positive spin on total shit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back