Tube strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like anywhere it depends what kind of person it is. We got away with it by playing stupid tourists, the bloke was sound. It was a genuine mistake on our part tbf.

Great story I heard the other day. Bloke goes up to Glasgow for a conference, the usual couple of days away type thing. He's on the train home and the conductor comes round to check tickets. He rummages through his bags and jacket but can't find his ticket anywhere. He explains to the conductor he's really sorry but lost his ticket, and to his relief the conductor lets him off.

He recounts the story to his wife when she gets home and how stupid he felt not being able to find his train ticket, and his wife says "Yeah, great story but what have you done with the car?"

I read somewhere the Berlin ticket inspectors dinnit fuck about and give you a canny expensive on the spot fine if you dinnit have a ticket or the incorrect one. Ta for the advice. Any news on Edgbaston?

I was out in Hannover last year. My mate had to go home a day earlier. We were both hanging after a massive night out with mates out there. I crawled into work stinking of booze (not very professional) and he was slumped in the seat of a short train ride to the airport that morning. He'd bought a ticket from the railway station in the middle of Hannover and so he had paid his fare. The inspector came round and started crying on that he hadn't stamped his ticket. My mate tried to explain that he was on his way home, he had just paid his fair (clearly marked on the ticket) and wasn't likely to try and sell it on or cheat the system. Nope - rules are rules said the German inspector getting more and more agitated. Then he demanded to see my mate's passport. I think at this point my mate told him to f*** off which angered him even more. "You must pay the fare!!!" [It was 3 Euros!!!] so my mate got a E50 note from his wallet and just threw it at him then zipped up his coat and slumped back to his hangover. The inspector went red with rage. The two Chinese lads opposite who were watching it all were in absolute pieces laughing. Eventually the inspector backed down, handed him his 50 note back and marched (not that kind) off muttering and cursing (presumably about the English).

Similar to people who won't use self service aisles at Asda because it puts checkout staff out of work, but are happy for the Tories to erode Union rights with no challenge.

How does not using the self-service check-outs necessarily mean those people are happy for the Tories to erode union rights with no challenge? Or do you mean there are particular people who don't use those check-outs AND have points of view about the union rights?

Last edited:
I was out in Hannover last year. My mate had to go home a day earlier. We were both hanging after a massive night out with mates out there. I crawled into work stinking of booze (not very professional) and he was slumped in the seat of a short train ride to the airport that morning. He'd bought a ticket from the railway station in the middle of Hannover and so he had paid his fare. The inspector came round and started crying on that he hadn't stamped his ticket. My mate tried to explain that he was on his way home, he had just paid his fair (clearly marked on the ticket) and wasn't likely to try and sell it on or cheat the system. Nope - rules are rules said the German inspector getting more and more agitated. Then he demanded to see my mate's passport. I think at this point my mate told him to f*** off which angered him even more. "You must pay the fare!!!" [It was 3 Euros!!!] so my mate got a E50 note from his wallet and just threw it at him then zipped up his coat and slumped back to his hangover. The inspector went red with rage. The two Chinese lads opposite who were watching it all were in absolute pieces laughing. Eventually the inspector backed down, handed him his 50 note back and marched (not that kind) off muttering and cursing (presumably about the English).

How does not using the self-service check-outs necessarily mean those people are happy for the Tories to erode union rights with no challenge? Or do you mean there are particular people who don't use those check-outs AND have points of view about the union rights?
It's the conflict of "I won't do X because it puts people out of work", but at the same time don't give a shit or do nowt about about the erosion of rights by the Tories.

Are you blaming the unions and the general public for the Trade Union bill?

Are you disputing that the consistent militant (and often downright greedy; see Night Tube strikes) action of the RMT and ASLEF is negatively impacting public perception of organised labour and subsequently paving the way for more radical govt policy?

Are you disputing that the consistent militant (and often downright greedy; see Night Tube strikes) action of the RMT and ASLEF is negatively impacting public perception of organised labour and subsequently paving the way for more radical govt policy?
It's almost like you're saying the Miners brought it on themselves and it was their actions allowed Maggie to shut the pits down.

The boss of the union involved in the southern trains strikes over driver only operation and how unsafe they are uses the driver only operated London overground for his commute.

The irony of these people is unbelievable, the railways unions are all about greed no matter how thay dress it up. They will be the first to complain when laws are drafted further curbing union action when it has come about from their own actions.
Sounds like they fit right in in London then.

Two wildly different scenarios and you know it.
Not really. You're saying a union shouldn't be strong ("militant" in your eyes) because the public don't like it. That's just playing into the Tories hands. It's also blaming the wrong people.

How about trying to change public perception of Trade Unions, to show the benefit that they can offer to members, rather than saying they should really be nice and quiet in case people think they're nasty.

If we're going to put all the things that cause problems on the table, could I please add the fact that the current transport secretary is deliberately engineering issues that will lead to industrial disputes, purposely running Southern into the ground and openly admitted in writing that he knew giving the mayor of London more control over all services inside the M25 would work better but he was going to block it because he didn't want a Labour mayor to do a good job on transport and get credit for it?

When the company ensures they are no longer required it's shit. People's livelihoods ffs.

Eh? I get people are losing their jobs and that's unfortunate but you can't expect a company to be ran on sympathy, if there is more cost effective and efficient measures (which in this case there 100% is), then it's the right decision to make changes. In all my times using the tube, I think I've used a ticket office once and that was years ago. They aren't needed.

Eh? I get people are losing their jobs and that's unfortunate but you can't expect a company to be ran on sympathy, if there is more cost effective and efficient measures (which in this case there 100% is), then it's the right decision to make changes. In all my times using the tube, I think I've used a ticket office once and that was years ago. They aren't needed.

Makes no odds to me about the company, I care about individuals and their families. If a decision is made to cut jobs fair enough. Won't ever find me praising it though.

It's cheaper to download music or have Spotify. I choose to buy from music shops.

It's cheaper to get milk from a supermarket. I choose to have milk delivery from the milkman.

Last edited:
Makes no odds to me about the company, I care about individuals and their families. If a decision is made to cut jobs fair enough. Won't ever find me praising it though.

It's cheaper to download music or have Spotify. I choose to buy from music shops.

It's cheaper to get milk from a supermarket. I choose to have milk delivery from the milkman.

That's very noble of you, but it's not how the world works unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back