Travel Cards for going in holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

You do pay interest on cash withdraws from the day you make the withdrawal to the day you pay off the balance

Unless you're going on holiday for a very long time then the interest for a week or two would be tiny. You can also instantly pay it off.

I don't think I used any cash last time I was away.

Barclaycard Travel Credit Card is the answer. Ignore the revolut/monzo/starling mob.
Now called the Barclaycard Platinum Cashback card, same rule applies on 0% non-sterling transaction fee but also get 0.25% cashback on your spends.

However if someone already has a Barclaycard, they cannot apply for another.

:lol:

Withdrawing cash man, there's a blast from the past.

I use Revolut and have zero complaints (they even gave me a fancy metal card anarl so I look git flash).
Drug dealers, sex workers and loads of remote restaurants / shops in these countries don’t accept chip n pin!

In the past month I’ve been to Turkey and Ibiza and me and the family and then me and the lads would’ve been fucked if we didn’t have dosh in my pocket.

And when I did use my debit card in shops it was a lottery if they worked or not, and I had to cycle my 4 cards to get one working some days...throwing all your eggs into one basket probably isn’t wise.

I would always travel with some cash if just fro sundries when you arrive

holiday this year is two destinations and I dont want to take a big pile of each currency ( i will always take a couple of travellors cheques just in case as well...I'm old fashioned!)

I can't see an big advantage of pre-paid over a decent travel card, only 2 downsides I can see for a travel credit card
1 - you can spend your credit limit, which is probably higher than you have cash for (maybe helpful if you are prone to smashing up hotels as given in an earlier example)
2 - you pay interest on cash withdrawals,

Regarding 2, could you pay the balance off via online banking before it becomes a balance to charge interest on? (via my online banking I can pay what I want into my CC's, as I'm pushing the cash to them rather than the CC pulling funds from the bank, hope this makes some sense)

Cash is king:cool:
The choice of proper gadgies.

You do pay interest on cash withdraws from the day you make the withdrawal to the day you pay off the balance
Not if you put yourself in credit on it.

I can't see an big advantage of pre-paid over a decent travel card, only 2 downsides I can see for a travel credit card
1 - you can spend your credit limit, which is probably higher than you have cash for (maybe helpful if you are prone to smashing up hotels as given in an earlier example)

Regarding 2, could you pay the balance off via online banking before it becomes a balance to charge interest on? (via my online banking I can pay what I want into my CC's, as I'm pushing the cash to them rather than the CC pulling funds from the bank, hope this makes some sense)
I've got a clarity card. I just transfer a bit onto it before i go and keep putting money on over holiday. If still.money on when get home just use for petrol or shopping. Can't remember paying any interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drug dealers, sex workers and loads of remote restaurants / shops in these countries don’t accept chip n pin!
My dealer takes card. :cool:

And when I did use my debit card in shops it was a lottery if they worked or not, and I had to cycle my 4 cards to get one working some days...throwing all your eggs into one basket probably isn’t wise.
Should get a Revolut card mate, they work the world over.

Question about Revlout which I've used quite a bit this year. How come some banks still try to charge when withdrawing, I was in Spain at the weekend and Santander wanted to charge 5 euro's, went to a bank across the street and it was free.

Question about Revlout which I've used quite a bit this year. How come some banks still try to charge when withdrawing, I was in Spain at the weekend and Santander wanted to charge 5 euro's, went to a bank across the street and it was free.
On the revolut site it states cash machine operators can charge a fee so please check before making a withdrawal. Hope this helps.

You'll be charged an international transaction fee for every withdrawal or purchase, plus another small fee around 1-2%. It soon adds up.

Monzo has saved me over a thousand pound, couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Love the round up savings pot as well, as said on the contactless post, tap everything and gets rounded up to the nearest pound. Get around £35 a week saved up just by doing that.

Just got a monzo for when we goto America in a few weeks. Taking a bit cash for tips etc but other than that can just use my card, transfer money into the account when needed. Mate referred me so both get £5 free, he's made about £100 so far :lol:

Re point 2. You dont pay interest with the barclaycard one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back