Todays tactics

Bollocks and needless…. The boy never hides and his running game will only improve if backed and supported. He made his goal with a wonderful cross field pass to Clarke and then got into a great position for a clean finish.
He was on a real high after the game … as you should be.
I was 100% joking mate I'm one of Ba's biggest fans.
Bollocks and needless…. The boy never hides and his running game will only improve if backed and supported. He made his goal with a wonderful cross field pass to Clarke and then got into a great position for a clean finish.
He was on a real high after the game … as you should be.
I do agree with you as well - he's going to be one of our best players and make it known that even though Roberts is injured, his position is in good hands.

Last edited:
We were a shambles at the back when they pressed us, thankfully they were a shambles in front of goal as well.

Going forward the biggest difference was Clarke being left one on one against a fullback who always struggles whenever anyone cuts inside, he was f***ing terrible whenever anyone did it here so leaving him one on one against Clarke was great and I thank Schumacher or whatever his name is for that.

On the other side we actually had some balance so instead of playing 2 central attacking midfielders and nobody out wide we had someone out wide.

As the game went on we saw glimpses of us getting players in the box as well, first half the amount of times you would see 4 players out wide and only one in the box was ridiculous. We need to change that all the time so we only have 2 out wide and get the others into the box

Interestingly, looking at the stats from the game you'd think Stoke had dominated. Now, I know they wasted a few chances but it didn't feel like they were particularly on top. Just goes to show that the only stat that counts is goals scored!
An open, end-to-end game where we took our chances and they didn't. Loads of positives from that Sunderland performance but a far harder challenge awaits at Boro.

Played very well. Lads must have felt the negativity and pressure, so full marks to them. Everyone played well.

That said, the opposition were dreadful, and still created a few great opportunities that they should have taken at least one of.

I've already posted mate. The goal kicks were a massive difference. Went long and allowed us to get high up the pitch and pen them in. That's were our 3rd goal stemmed from. Our players weren't going sideways half as much and were actually carrying the ball forward. I thought Dan Neil was immense today.

The positioning of the players was interesting from our goal kicks - spread really wide across the pitch as opposed to being in a concentrated area.

Shout out to Patto for his long pass out to Clarke in the second half too. Very Pickfordesque.

The positioning of the players was interesting from our goal kicks - spread really wide across the pitch as opposed to being in a concentrated area.

Shout out to Patto for his long pass out to Clarke in the second half too. Very Pickfordesque.
Aue, we were just slating his kicking before that aswel :lol: yeah, we werevery spread out all across the pitch on goal kicks. I don't mind the long goal kick at all. It can be very influential in just getting you playing in the opposition's half within seconds and puts the pressure striaght on them. They were talking on Talksport yesterday about Bournemouth kicking the ball out of play straight from kick offs, just to get playing in the oppos half striaght away and putting them under pressure.

Aue, we were just slating his kicking before that aswel :lol: yeah, we werevery spread out all across the pitch on goal kicks. I don't mind the long goal kick at all. It can be very influential in just getting you playing in the opposition's half within seconds and puts the pressure striaght on them. They were talking on Talksport yesterday about Bournemouth kicking the ball out of play straight from kick offs, just to get playing in the oppos half striaght away and putting them under pressure.

I think it was the right change to make. We have been playing ourselves into trouble far too often lately playing out from the back.

Switching Ekwah and Neil made a massive difference, Neil in a more defensive role and Ekwah getting forward more played to their strengths.
People say this about yesterday but first half a few times Neil made runs in the inside left and tried to get beyond Burstow. Neil wasn't just sitting all game. Ekwah was kind of roaming all over. On the left then 30 seconds later he was way over on the right in one spell 2nd half. There was defo all lot more freedom given to Neil and Ekwah yesterday to go all over.

I say this fully aware that it could’ve been different if stoke could score in a brothel and given there position. That is the most positive I’ve seen them play for months!

Clarke was back to his great form. Ba looked better with a faster ball to him. I was getting so sick of the kill the ball and pass to the next man from a static position under Mowbray. We even saw a good old goal kick!

Every pass seemed to have the intent of moving the ball forward instead of back to the keeper.
Yes. That's down to the last few weeks training. They are trying to bring Clarke inside and then go outside to wing so less predictable. BA had his mojo back. Strikers scoring. Major problem is allowing opposition in to our final third so easily. Probably not going to fix it this season so we will just have to outscored them

Played very well. Lads must have felt the negativity and pressure, so full marks to them. Everyone played well.

That said, the opposition were dreadful, and still created a few great opportunities that they should have taken at least one of.
For a group of young players they've got some serious balls on them. Great mentality and resilience shown so many times.

After the toxic atmosphere at a few of the recent home games (certainly since Beale came in), the breakdown amongst the fanbase online (which the players will be fully aware of) and then the Pritchard thing to then come out infront of 35,000 or so, many of whom could have been baying for blood and to not hide and be relatively bold in their play takes some serious guts.

It would have been easy to hide behind Beale's lack of popularity too but to a man they didn't take that easy option.

I think Ekwah and Jobe need switching in the 8s. It’s been odd having Ekwah and Neil on their ‘wrong’ side in the middle. And it continued with Ekwah and Jobe.
If Ekwah is on the left he’ll naturally cover cover Clarke and possibly get around him on the overlap as well.
Couple of times he did that to Ba and had to attempt the cross with his right.
Is it purely they can shoot better? I really can’t work out why we do it.

Switching Ekwah and Neil made a massive difference, Neil in a more defensive role and Ekwah getting forward more played to their strengths.
One of my main bug bears this season (along with persisting with Hume coming into midfield from fullback) has been the insistence on trying to turn Ekwah into a 6 and using him there constantly. He's so much more effectively used as an 8 as we saw last season. It's a little bit of a waste of Dan Neil's exceptional talent putting him there too although he's also much better as a 6 than Ekwah. Hopefully we can bring in a proper defensive mid so we don't need to worry about putting either of them there and they can both play further forward. The club have acknowledged it's needed so fingers crossed they can get a good one over the line.
People say this about yesterday but first half a few times Neil made runs in the inside left and tried to get beyond Burstow. Neil wasn't just sitting all game. Ekwah was kind of roaming all over. On the left then 30 seconds later he was way over on the right in one spell 2nd half. There was defo all lot more freedom given to Neil and Ekwah yesterday to go all over.
It was still fluid at times but it was clear that Neil was playing deeper generally.

Last edited:
Think the difference with Clarke was he must have been told to stop high. He made little effort to track back & was as high as Burstow a lot of the time, not coming from really deep.

If that was an instruction, well done Beale. We’ll all be quick to jump on his shitness, so it’s only fair to acknowledge good bits.

We started with Ba running onto the fullback and causing problems, but then he moved higher up and more central. That could have caused issues defensively and Seelt was a but isolated coming forward but maybe it was a tactical spot by Beale as it allowed Ba more freedom to join in the attack and be in the positions we benefitted from.

I mean Stoke were shit and we caught them so many times on the transition it was unbelievable and as I've said elsewhere it might be different when a side sits in compact, but it was nice to see them trying to be positive and breaking quick even if it often wasn't flowing as we'd like.
It was still fluid at times but it was clear that Neil was playing deeper generally.

There was a definite switch. Both players picked up deeper roles off the ball, but generally Ekwah joined Bellingham further up the field.

Last edited:

Back