Todays tactics

Stokes left hand side was non-exist at times. We had so much space down our right. No surprise 2 of the goals came from there

Interestingly, looking at the stats from the game you'd think Stoke had dominated. Now, I know they wasted a few chances but it didn't feel like they were particularly on top. Just goes to show that the only stat that counts is goals scored!

I've already posted mate. The goal kicks were a massive difference. Went long and allowed us to get high up the pitch and pen them in. That's were our 3rd goal stemmed from. Our players weren't going sideways half as much and were actually carrying the ball forward. I thought Dan Neil was immense today.
Same here, said it today, and said for a fair few games now, Dan Neil isalready premier league quality. The passes he makes class, the ones that dont come off would with premier league class players. He jas a very bright future, unfortunately not with us

Same here, said it today, and said for a fair few games now, Dan Neil isalready premier league quality. The passes he makes class, the ones that dont come off would with premier league class players. He jas a very bright future, unfortunately not with us
I've been very demanding about Neil on here but lately he is doing the work of 2 in the middle and he was uo and down that pitch today from the first minute to the last. Oozes class on the ball.

If Stoke took their chances we could easily have lost.

Yes the performance was better but it’s a low bar.
Stoke were shite but if we had took all of our chances as well it could of been a very high scoring win
Funny just watching first half of FA cup game Fulham dominated but are 1-0 down that’s football

Last edited:
Much better formation and shape today. Ba and Clarke didn’t have to defend because Jobe and Ekwah were behind them. Less faffing around at the back allowed Patterson to make some nice passes out to the wings. And Burstow did what was asked of him up front.

Don’t disagree marra. But they had a couple of clear cut chances second half and Patto made a few decent saves.
The save from Patto has kept Beale in a job. If they had gone one up we'd have folded . As it happens we scored, the confidence came back
Needs a rocket up his arse at times that lad.

May or may not have called him a bottling bastard when he pulled out of a 50/50 today :lol:
I did, twice . Then he seemed to get in a personal issue with one of theirs and started leaving his size 14 in

Last edited:
I say this fully aware that it could’ve been different if stoke could score in a brothel and given there position. That is the most positive I’ve seen them play for months!

Clarke was back to his great form. Ba looked better with a faster ball to him. I was getting so sick of the kill the ball and pass to the next man from a static position under Mowbray. We even saw a good old goal kick!

Every pass seemed to have the intent of moving the ball forward instead of back to the keeper.

The main difference today from the end of the Mowbray tenure was get it into the front three quicker which we did.

Clarke had Gooch on toast, Ba didn’t do too badly against his own full back either.

Dan Neil was the obvious beneficiary. He always wants to be positive and it shows that he’s got that freedom. Gave the ball away a few times but that was his best game in a while.

Give credit to Beale. Still want him gone but if he’s orchestrated that then fair play

I say this fully aware that it could’ve been different if stoke could score in a brothel and given there position. That is the most positive I’ve seen them play for months!

Clarke was back to his great form. Ba looked better with a faster ball to him. I was getting so sick of the kill the ball and pass to the next man from a static position under Mowbray. We even saw a good old goal kick!

Every pass seemed to have the intent of moving the ball forward instead of back to the keeper.
The players wanted it despite the narrative

We still piss poor at the back, Stoke could have 3 or 4 goals.
Not sure that is fair - thought back four and Patto had good secure games on the whole

Lapses in concentration at times but that might reflect being younger/inexperienced

Thought less “dicking about” at the back was a good thing, but then i’m an old “whack it forward and fight for the knock downs” dinosaur 🤣

You know we've played against a shite team when Ba has a blinder of a game like. :cool:
Bollocks and needless…. The boy never hides and his running game will only improve if backed and supported. He made his goal with a wonderful cross field pass to Clarke and then got into a great position for a clean finish.
He was on a real high after the game … as you should be.

Played with 2 8’s in a 4-3-3 with higher wingers and an actual number 9 (although struggled at times) and looked way better for it. Helped us move the ball more fluidly and more bodies in the box when the ball dropped.. if final ball was better we’d have scored 6 or 7.

Think the difference with Clarke was he must have been told to stop high. He made little effort to track back & was as high as Burstow a lot of the time, not coming from really deep.

If that was an instruction, well done Beale. We’ll all be quick to jump on his shitness, so it’s only fair to acknowledge good bits.

We played more in a 4-3-3 and it worked as you say. Helped Ba also and I thought Ekwah and Jobe either side as well.

Everyone saying Stoke could have taken chances, but I also think we could have scored more than the 3 we did.

Bollocks and needless…. The boy never hides and his running game will only improve if backed and supported. He made his goal with a wonderful cross field pass to Clarke and then got into a great position for a clean finish.
He was on a real high after the game … as you should be.
Totally agree marra. I've gave him pelters a few weeks ago but he was faultless yesterday & like you say he never goes missing

Back