Todays tactics

It was too predictable under Mowbray. Loved the football at times, but needed to vary the play on occasions as we were
Too easy to play against.

I say this fully aware that it could’ve been different if stoke could score in a brothel and given there position. That is the most positive I’ve seen them play for months!

Clarke was back to his great form. Ba looked better with a faster ball to him. I was getting so sick of the kill the ball and pass to the next man from a static position under Mowbray. We even saw a good old goal kick!

Every pass seemed to have the intent of moving the ball forward instead of back to the keeper.

Clarke back onto form?

Or was always 1v1 and never trebled up on as similar of late. In addition to continually looking for others todays, his unselfishness today was something we’ve yet to see for him.

That coupled with clear instructions to move the ball forward created more positive play across the board. Only taken Beale 8 games.

He did the same in the second half against Hull as well but the tactics obviously didn't work so well then.

Massive difference today in the high pressing and moving the ball forward quicker with 1 and 2 touch passes. Also nice to see us turn a defence around with ball over the too for a charge too.
Stoke left Gooch one on one which is naive say the least. Hull were trebling up at times, but we also didn’t have anybody on the right, which I though was very poor from us.

Tbh, the number of times their centre mid dropped into their defence and Gooch and their winger had a 2v1 or space was incredibly concerning. A better team would have capitalised on that and murdered us and it continued until the end of the game.

We were fortunate they were shite and Gooch is Gooch.

Much better going forward, not really much better at the back, or at protecting the defence.

Clarke back onto form?

Or was always 1v1 and never trebled up on as similar of late. In addition to continually looking for others todays, his unselfishness today was something we’ve yet to see for him.

That coupled with clear instructions to move the ball forward created more positive play across the board. Only taken Beale 8 games.
It’s the amount of games seeing no change that was frustrating me. Still. More of this play please.

Shape was changed again. Played 4141 a couple of times since he came in, 442 against Ipswich and that was more a 433. Clarke and Ba were as high as Burstow more often than not when we didn't have the ball.

Think that might have been Clarke's best performance in open play this season. He was so good, went past Gooch down the wing whenever he wanted and skipped inside past everyone else whenever he wanted. Bet some of his numbers look ridiculous today.
Both wingers instructed not to drop in and mark the full back when they went forward. Instead the midfield drifted across to pick them up. Noticed it a lot with Ba, he stayed high and Ekwah covered. When we won the ball back Ba was available behind their full back. It opened up a lot of space.

The downside playing like that is we can be too open but I'd rather us play that style than the dull stuff we've been served up more recently.
'If' we replace Pritchard with a cdm with similar experience it would make such a difference to the team. Today showed how good we can be playing a traditional 433 rather than with a No.10. Add a natural left footed left back who's not afraid to get forward & of course a proper cf & we all of a sudden look like a very good team again.

Whilst I find it very difficult to disregard how bad Stoke were, the 2nd half today was the first time under Beale where you could actually see what he was trying to do in terms of tactics and style of play.

Boro will offer up far more of a test next weekend with it being their cup final but feel like there's enough positives from the 2nd half performance today to give us some confidence heading into that game.

Both wingers instructed not to drop in and mark the full back when they went forward. Instead the midfield drifted across to pick them up. Noticed it a lot with Ba, he stayed high and Ekwah covered. When we won the ball back Ba was available behind their full back. It opened up a lot of space.

The downside playing like that is we can be too open but I'd rather us play that style than the dull stuff we've been served up more recently.
Well spotted. The 3 of them tucking in also gave us runners for balls through the channels when we won the ball back. Neil, Ekwah and Jobe were all unlucky with quick balls down the channel.. didn’t come off today but it better to watch than being hemmed in on the touchline for 20 minutes

'If' we replace Pritchard with a cdm with similar experience it would make such a difference to the team. Today showed how good we can be playing a traditional 433 rather than with a No.10. Add a natural left footed left back who's not afraid to get forward & of course a proper cf & we all of a sudden look like a very good team again.
Excellent post couldn’t agree more.

M’Vila, Amad and Moore would be the idea 3. If by some miracle we get them could be a very exciting second half of the season

Last edited:
As poor as stoke were, they offered far more than Hull who beat us. Every game has “what if they scored first” Jesus man, that’s football. Hull would have been different had we scored. Coventry would have been different if Ba hadn’t missed a sitter. The list goes on. People just want to put the manager down no matter what.

To be fair, Ba scored one & assisted two. For all his erratic legs & brain, he’s not doing too bad.
Seen a lot of improvement with Ba in last 4 games. Hes got some good close in skill. and good in the air Just about comfidence imo

Back