Time rules are changed

It is farcical when the ref adds time on for time wasting by a team holding on for a draw, but then find themselves a goal behind. That team then gets an advantage!! On another note...did anyone else notice the Charlton player take a drink from a bottle thrown on the pitch from the crowd?

Referee's discretion. So if a team needs to win and they're drawing, then don't add it on. But in the vast majority of cases the ref knows its a slender lead and they're desperate to keep it, so add extra time on. I'll be honest, I haven't really thought it through, but the current system seems daft. I mean, they'll waste time knowing that it'll either be missed by the official or at worst they'll get a yellow. So the lad taking ages over the throw gets booked, then they'll just get someone else to take the next throw. The six second rule is a thing, but never enforced. There's just no incentive not to time waste because, at worst, you break play up and the amount of time you waste gets added on, but normally it works in your favour

Something definitely needs doing. More cards need dishing out and retrospective action needs taking if need be. The amount of time wasted rarely seems to be added on.

What was added on yesterday, only 4 or 5 minutes wasn't it? But a goal was scored, and there were 5 substitutions. Considering how much time was wasted it seemed light.

It's needed change for years but FIFA/UEFA/FA etc couldn't give a toss. It's an absolute shambles.

I hate it when we do it as well although it's never as bad as some. Yesterday was arguably the worst I've seen since we came down.

Something needs to be done about knackers like O'Nien rolling around on the ground holding his face like he's been shot because he's lost a header. He does it almost every game. Yesterday was absolutely pathatic.

It is farcical when the ref adds time on for time wasting by a team holding on for a draw, but then find themselves a goal behind. That team then gets an advantage!! On another note...did anyone else notice the Charlton player take a drink from a bottle thrown on the pitch from the crowd?

Was that in front of the east stand when the ref stopped the game for an 'injury' when the player wasn't even on the pitch? Saw something bounce off the deck but then it disappeared. Mind, it didn't look big enough to be a bottle so you might be talking about something else.

I get more annoyed by the opposition player standing in front of the ball to stop a free kick being taken quickly. If we hit the ball against them, do they get booked or is it unsportsmanlike from us?

I would agree with this change, but it would add an extra half hour of time to a game. That would then in turn affect Sky games and they would end up having overlapping broadcasted games and you just can't have that can you? šŸ˜‚

Sky used to run the time in play as one of the stats and invariably it was always about 65 mins. Change the game time so it 30 or 35 mins each way and stop the clock (independent time keeper) every time the ball goes dead. Then there is no time to ā€œwasteā€.

We need to find a way to deal with this and to stop moaning, if we were 1-0 up at Old Trafford weā€™d be doing the same
We do but it also needs to be dealt with by the fa etc, it's not football its an exploitation of the rules which allows footballing talent to be minimised and maximises results from unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Referee's discretion. So if a team needs to win and they're drawing, then don't add it on. But in the vast majority of cases the ref knows its a slender lead and they're desperate to keep it, so add extra time on. I'll be honest, I haven't really thought it through, but the current system seems daft. I mean, they'll waste time knowing that it'll either be missed by the official or at worst they'll get a yellow. So the lad taking ages over the throw gets booked, then they'll just get someone else to take the next throw. The six second rule is a thing, but never enforced. There's just no incentive not to time waste because, at worst, you break play up and the amount of time you waste gets added on, but normally it works in your favour

Thing is Charlton weren't even good at that. Their left back (I think) got booked for time wasting then later did the exact same thing before running off and leaving the ball for their no. 5. Id have booked him again.

A lot of this could be sorted if referees grew some balls and started booking people for timewasting.

"Injured" players rolling back onto the pitch should be a yellow card
Kicking the ball away should be a yellow card
Standing in front of the ball to prevent a free kick should be a yellow card
etc

Iā€™m getting increasingly frustrated at the ā€œgamesmanshipā€ or to use its real word cheating bastard soft as shite footballers ruining a match. It happens a lot at our level but also at top level.
The amount of players going down faking injury to waste time, rolling back onto the pitch when faking injury off it (couldnā€™t believe my eyes yesterday) and the time wasting from goal keepers for kicks (donā€™t get me started on their keeper yesterday moaning cos one of ours was stood close to him ffs), throw ins time wasting etc.

It ruins flow of game, is a turn off for punters and the added injury time never reflects anything like the time that should be added on.
Why donā€™t the powers that be change the rules?
For example, if the ref stops play he stops the clock and as a result we play until 45 eschWe then get proper injury time not bullshit made up numbers.

If someone wastes time on a throw in like they are it is an immediate yellow and the throw goes to the other team. The ref did yellow once for a throw time wasting yesterday but all it did was waste more time. Giving the throw the other way would solve and stop it. Say hey have 15 seconds to take the throw.
Also everyone now stands on or in front of or keeps hold of the ball or walks off with it for a free kick against them. That should be an immediate yellow and kick moved forwards 10 yards.
Finally change rule so only the captain is allowed to approach the ref. Anyone else is instant red.

We could learn a lot from rugby I think.

I am getting frustrated to the point of losing interest as itā€™s no longer a spectacle but an embarrassment.
Well said. I agree with all of these. The thing is the players know they can get away with anything and have no respect for the refs, unlike in
rugby. Two things that would stop all the time wasting are 1.anyone who goes down with a head injury(fake or real) is taken off the field immediately 2. Take time keeping outof the refs hands and do as in rugby and stop the clock for all injuries, Var , goal kicks , substitutions .
We may then get 90 minutes of fooball rather than 75 of less.
It won't happen though.

Just pause the clock when the ball isn't in play, why is it so f***ing hard when every other sport in the world does it?
Been saying this for ages.
Much as Iā€™m not in favour (favor?šŸ˜„) of Americanising / Americanizing our sport having a game clock would wipe away almost all arguments. People say the game would last forever so letā€™s have two thirty minute halves with a game clock in play so we see an hour of ā€˜ball in playā€™ action which would seem to be much more than what weā€™re currently seeing. Would also put an end to those pointless post 90 minute substitutions. Thereā€™s no way that sub time is added on right now or else managers wouldnā€™t do it, itā€™s just more gamesmanship. Six second rule for keepers also to be enforced fully to prevent the aforementioned chest collapse. A few free kicks awarded in the box would sharp put a stop to that. No more arguments over ā€˜Fergie Timeā€™.

Mentioned earlier but itā€™s embarrassing when players take a clip on the left ankle and go down in fake agony holding their right knee- they canā€™t even cheat properly.

Letā€™s not also forget players are instructed to do this by the coaching staff.
This is the problem and it is easily solved if the governing bodies want to do so.
1st offence of cheating, which is what it is, 5 game ban, and a club warning. 2nd offence, the same player is a 10 game ban and points deducted. If a second offence by same club, but different player, the 5 game ban but same points deduction. It will cease the first time it is implemented. Managers will tell players to stop cheating. It really is that simple.

Sky used to run the time in play as one of the stats and invariably it was always about 65 mins. Change the game time so it 30 or 35 mins each way and stop the clock (independent time keeper) every time the ball goes dead. Then there is no time to ā€œwasteā€.

I've been an advocate of this for years. OPTA stats say that on average the ball is in play for approx 56 mins. So just have 2 halves of 30 mins and have an official time keeper, game stops, so does the clock.

Back