Time rules are changed

excalibur

Central Defender
I’m getting increasingly frustrated at the “gamesmanship” or to use its real word cheating bastard soft as shite footballers ruining a match. It happens a lot at our level but also at top level.
The amount of players going down faking injury to waste time, rolling back onto the pitch when faking injury off it (couldn’t believe my eyes yesterday) and the time wasting from goal keepers for kicks (don’t get me started on their keeper yesterday moaning cos one of ours was stood close to him ffs), throw ins time wasting etc.

It ruins flow of game, is a turn off for punters and the added injury time never reflects anything like the time that should be added on.
Why don’t the powers that be change the rules?
For example, if the ref stops play he stops the clock and as a result we play until 45 eschWe then get proper injury time not bullshit made up numbers.

If someone wastes time on a throw in like they are it is an immediate yellow and the throw goes to the other team. The ref did yellow once for a throw time wasting yesterday but all it did was waste more time. Giving the throw the other way would solve and stop it. Say hey have 15 seconds to take the throw.
Also everyone now stands on or in front of or keeps hold of the ball or walks off with it for a free kick against them. That should be an immediate yellow and kick moved forwards 10 yards.
Finally change rule so only the captain is allowed to approach the ref. Anyone else is instant red.

We could learn a lot from rugby I think.

I am getting frustrated to the point of losing interest as it’s no longer a spectacle but an embarrassment.

I always say they should change the rule so that if the ref deems you're time wasting, he adds on three times the amount of time. Time waste for 5 minutes and he's adding 15 minutes on at the end. If actually enforced it would stop it immediately. You'd still get people pretending to be injured like but it would be a start. And agree, if you're time wasting at a throw the opposition should get possession.

I’m getting increasingly frustrated at the “gamesmanship” or to use its real word cheating bastard soft as shite footballers ruining a match. It happens a lot at our level but also at top level.
The amount of players going down faking injury to waste time, rolling back onto the pitch when faking injury off it (couldn’t believe my eyes yesterday) and the time wasting from goal keepers for kicks (don’t get me started on their keeper yesterday moaning cos one of ours was stood close to him ffs), throw ins time wasting etc.

It ruins flow of game, is a turn off for punters and the added injury time never reflects anything like the time that should be added on.
For example, if the ref stops play he stops the clock and as a result we play until 45 eschWe then get proper injury time not bullshit made up numbers.

If someone wastes time on a throw in like they are it is an immediate yellow and the throw goes to the other team. The ref did yellow once for a throw time wasting yesterday but all it did was waste more time. Giving the throw the other way would solve and stop it. Say hey have 15 seconds to take the throw.
Also everyone now stands on or in front of or keeps hold of the ball or walks off with it for a free kick against them. That should be an immediate yellow and kick moved forwards 10 yards.
Finally change rule so only the captain is allowed to approach the ref. Anyone else is instant red.

I am getting frustrated to the point of losing interest as it’s no longer a spectacle but an embarrassment.

I totally agree in principle, but we need to be careful what we wish for and not have every throw-in taking 15 seconds by a winning side. It should be in the refs judgement (unfortunately). Swicth the throw for stealing excessive space or repeatedly taking too long. I'm come round to the idea that games be 60 minutes of play - hard to believe that would be a significant increase but there was a thread about a game with 39 minutes of play.

Take the timekeeping role from the ref. The fourth official is in charge of the match clock which is visible to the whole crowd. The crowd then sees exactly when the time is stopped and how much time is left. It takes away any ambiguity and controversy on injury time.
It also makes the referee's job easier not have to worry about his wristwatch

Last edited:

This, but managers should also be held to account - we know which managers encourage shithousery. Also the refs need to be totally impartial - that guy yesterday was their 12th man.

Oh aye, and actually enforce the six second rule. The keeper yesterday doing the timeless "fall to the ground for no reason, take ten seconds to get up, hold it for another ten seconds" routine. Just give a free kick every so often and it'll stop happening. Instead refs get the piss taken out of them all game, then eventually book someone in the 90th minute. The players are to blame but the refs need to do more within their power to stop it

I hate time wasting when it's done to that extent.

Their right sided player went down injured then was laughing at us in south stand as he went over to get the ball.

P.S Stewart stop standing so close to keeper , let him kick the ball ffs.

I always say they should change the rule so that if the ref deems you're time wasting, he adds on three times the amount of time. Time waste for 5 minutes and he's adding 15 minutes on at the end. If actually enforced it would stop it immediately. You'd still get people pretending to be injured like but it would be a start. And agree, if you're time wasting at a throw the opposition should get possession.
Be a canny tactic if you were drawing and needed more time to get a winner.

Take the timekeeping role from the ref. The fourth official is in charge of the match clock which is visible to the whole crowd. The crowd then sees exactly when the time is stopped and how much time is left. It takes away any ambiguity and controversy on injury time.
It also makes the referee's job easier not have to worry about his wristwatch
This...let the Ref on the pitch manage the match let the 4 official manage the time...

Back