Thoughts on our transfer business so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would say it's been very middle of the road. We've added pace which is much needed but we are desperate for a proper striker playing 9. Seen nothing more NDong so far to indicate he will be decent this season. Think we are 3 short from the starting xi. Hopefully these deals are sorted this week however it's very unlikely.

Disappointed but not in the least bit surprised by it.

Had we been in league 1 I would have been disappointed with it also.

I hope for the best still but fear the worst, I expect to be bottom 6 by Christmas unfortunately.

Surprisingly decent on paper considering how little we've spent. As said earlier, it will ultimately be judged on what happens with Kone, Lens and Khazri. Keep them (or replace them well) and it'll have been a pretty good window all things considered.

Anyone who says it's good business so far, needs to give their heads a shake. I feel sorry for SG having to build this club back up when the foundations are built on sand!
It's an interesting one.
He's walked into this with his eyes wide open which is a good thing so should we feel sorry for him?

In terms of who we've brought in the only one I've been remotely impressed with is the one we've not yet tied to a deal, Ruiter and he's coming back from a major injury. I fully expect us to argue about ten bob extra wages with him and see someone else sneak in to nick from under our noses. The lack of seeemingly any sort of investment coming from the board just illustrates Uncle Ellis' intent. Whatever happens to speculating to accumulate?

With the current squad we'll finish 10th at best, lose the better players and it'll be 5 or so places lower.

No proven goal scorer, a midfield lacking pace and creativity with the extra bonus of Rodders, a weak and wobbly defence with an either injury prone keeper or a lad struggling for confidence behind it. Call me pessimistic but I'm so used to seeing things this way now. Uncle Ellis' asset stripping the club to get back very cent he's spent is crippling the ability to even try and get out of this league.

I'd love to be proved wrong but just can't see it unless we get bought by Bill Gates

depressing as hell when you think 14 month ago we were beating Chelsea at home with this squad and looking forward to 3 possibly 4 solid additions in the summer to kick on

Sunderland
  • 25Mannone
  • 24Yedlin
  • 23KonéSubstituted forO'Sheaat 55'minutes
  • 15KaboulBooked at 87mins
  • 3van Aanholt
  • 27KirchhoffSubstituted forWatmoreat 64'minutes
  • 9Borini
  • 6CattermoleBooked at 52minsSubstituted forLarssonat 71'minutesBooked at 88mins
  • 21M'Vila
  • 22Khazri
  • 18DefoeBooked at 70mins
Substitutes
  • 7Larsson
  • 8Rodwell
  • 10N'Doye
  • 13Pickford
  • 16O'Shea
  • 17Lens
  • 41Watmore

In my view the manager has gone about his business just about right. People complain about the number of loan signings but, when they are found to be duds, also complain. I think the loan signings and cheap signings could be a masterstroke in getting the club on a cheap financial footing using players who have, by and large, something to prove either for their past performances or to showcase themselves for the future. We can only benefit as we are not tied down to having a squad full of players who are not up to the job or who we are saddled with for exorbitant transfer fees. Then, if we are promoted, many of those same players, some of whom will need to be replaced with higher achieving ones, can be moved on much more easily without such a financial penalty as we have suffered from in recent times.

Didn't think it would be this bad, thought Short might have gave him a decent budget to try and get us back up
i think that I saw this coming around end of March time..but I didn't think it would be this bad. I suspected that Short would clear the debt down which is what he is doing but allowing Moyes to remain will stick in my craw forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back