Thoughts on our transfer business so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have done some very good business with our budget. I was one of the fans silly enough to think we had 15m-20m to spend and over the past 3 weeks it has been shown we haven't, maybe the 6m quoted was correct. Look at who we have signed, Browning, Galloway, Grabban on loans, McGeady, Vaughan, Steele, soon to be Ruiter, maybe even McCormack and that Villa defender as well forgot his name signing in the next 2 weeks. As SG said after the game yesterday Lens was injured, no bids for him, Khazri, Kone yet and if we do get bids they have to match our valuations or they can f*ck off in other words! We have made 32 million off our two old keepers, got rid of a load of lads on high wages, most the players have taken a wage cut, we will be getting the parachute payments, our debt should be a lot healthier by the end of the season. I know positivity is a really dodgy subject on this forum with a few of the negative fans but I think we have a decent enough squad to make the playoffs, not top 2, Boro will be one of them with their spending and I fancy Fulham or Sheff Wed for the other. Point is SG has done some good business and we finally have a manager who knows the score with the fans and doesn't take any sh*t off lazy players! Just my opinion lads, can't be bothered with getting abuse off negative idiots on here;)
Another goalkeeper, Jesus wept.

I think we have done some very good business with our budget. I was one of the fans silly enough to think we had 15m-20m to spend and over the past 3 weeks it has been shown we haven't, maybe the 6m quoted was correct. Look at who we have signed, Browning, Galloway, Grabban on loans, McGeady, Vaughan, Steele, soon to be Ruiter, maybe even McCormack and that Villa defender as well forgot his name signing in the next 2 weeks. As SG said after the game yesterday Lens was injured, no bids for him, Khazri, Kone yet and if we do get bids they have to match our valuations or they can f*ck off in other words! We have made 32 million off our two old keepers, got rid of a load of lads on high wages, most the players have taken a wage cut, we will be getting the parachute payments, our debt should be a lot healthier by the end of the season. I know positivity is a really dodgy subject on this forum with a few of the negative fans but I think we have a decent enough squad to make the playoffs, not top 2, Boro will be one of them with their spending and I fancy Fulham or Sheff Wed for the other. Point is SG has done some good business and we finally have a manager who knows the score with the fans and doesn't take any sh*t off lazy players! Just my opinion lads, can't be bothered with getting abuse off negative idiots on here;)

Browning, Galloway, Grabban on loans, McGeady, Vaughan, Steele, soon to be Ruiter, keeper ( Ruiter ) looks good. The rest ? lets just leave it at UNDERWHELMING.
We have made 32m off our keepers ? where is it ? LONG GONE MATE AND NOT GONNA REAPPEAR IN THIS TRANSFER WINDOW , OTHERWISE WE WOULDN'T BE BUYING SHITE LIKE VAUGHN NO MATTER HOW CHEAP HE WAS, OR LOANING CRAP LIKE GRABBEN.

None of us have a clue how our signings will do, will give them all a chance, looks like the priority is paying off some ticky and hoping for the best

I'm going to keep posting this till it sinks in ......we are £100 mil minimum in debt. The 30 mil will be spread over 3-4 years with a bit up front.
It's depressing I know but it's either service the debt and continue having a club to support. Or risk our existence on a high spend. We are in this position because we have spent what we haven't got. Spending big also dosen't guarantee success. See SAFC for details.
High Spend ? who said anything about high spend ?
your talking shite.

Been pretty dreadful really.

Banked the Pickford windfall and replaced any notable talent with mediocre (at best) players. You've eased the debt and reduced the wage bill but have missed the best chance of promotion given the dwindling parachute payments. Genuinely don't think your current squad is anywhere near the better teams in the division atm but the club's you're competing against are signing players who will hold their value and can be sold in the future.

I actually quite like Grayson, seems a good bloke and he's doing his best but he's got both arms tied behind his back, it's not his fault. As the parachute payments ebb away it'll get tougher and tougher given debt repayments appear to be the priority until it's under control. Said when you went down you could be down for a decade or more and got laughed at. Time will tell.

I don't know most of the players that Grayson has gone after. But, strangely enough, I am more optimistic this year than for several of the past few seasons. I think we have a manager who understates himself. That's a positive as he has gone about his business, bringing players into the club quietly and efficiently without all the hooha of recent seasons. He has given his players, and us as supporters, the same message, about what to expect as a minimum from the players who pull on a Sunderland shirt. He understands the supporters and has made clear any player not willing to put a shift in and give his all can leave or will be out of the door. I like that and he'll do for me.

Well I for one am very pleased with what hes got in for the money its cost us,regardless of the mystery budget. For just over ONE million pounds weve got players that are far less dross than Di Fanti brought in for many millions and huge wages. Get a grip folks, we are in the Championship,like it or lump it and Im looking forward to seeing a team ALL putting a shift in unlike last year.
They are grafters and thats a good start.Their quality or lack of it,will show in due course so Im open minded re that.
Everyone on here slagging them off is doing so without seeing them in a league game when it counts yet.

Keep the faith in Grays:cool:n

Browning, Galloway, Grabban on loans, McGeady, Vaughan, Steele, soon to be Ruiter, keeper ( Ruiter ) looks good. The rest ? lets just leave it at UNDERWHELMING.
We have made 32m off our keepers ? where is it ? LONG GONE MATE AND NOT GONNA REAPPEAR IN THIS TRANSFER WINDOW , OTHERWISE WE WOULDN'T BE BUYING SHITE LIKE VAUGHN NO MATTER HOW CHEAP HE WAS, OR LOANING CRAP LIKE GRABBEN.
Read my post again, the 32m is paying off our debt plain and simple, as i said by the end of the season our debt should be a lot healthier, we can't keep wasting money on average players with higher wages and expect the debt to be forgotten, it's your opinion but going into a rant in Bold lettering isn't the way forward!

The signing of the new players reflect the available budget. If and it's a big if we can retain Khazri and Lens we have at least a degree of quality in the squad. If the more likely scenario happens and they leave, it will leave us very weak in the creative aspect. The key to us doing well is to get off to a good start and build up our confidence, something we were obviously lacking last season.

We've just sold a goalkeeper for £30m, so you'd expect the club to give the manager at least half of that. It's dire times ahead IMO, though I sincerely hope I'm epically wrong, but can't see it..

Well I for one am very pleased with what hes got in for the money its cost us,regardless of the mystery budget. For just over ONE million pounds weve got players that are far less dross than Di Fanti brought in for many millions and huge wages. Get a grip folks, we are in the Championship,like it or lump it and Im looking forward to seeing a team ALL putting a shift in unlike last year.
They are grafters and thats a good start.Their quality or lack of it,will show in due course so Im open minded re that.
Everyone on here slagging them off is doing so without seeing them in a league game when it counts yet.

Keep the faith in Grays:cool:n

At one point I would have shared your optimism marra, but this f***ing club has drained me of any hope now...

You can't ignore the facts, we've signed some quite mediocre players, with most of them not even owned by the club...

I'm starting to question whether letting my season ticket renew was right for me, as I can't help thinking about next Friday as being an utter chore... #bleak

Last edited:
Agreed but what do we expect being in debt 100million+, too many years of buying players not good enough and giving them high wages, just ask our old friend ARRY Redknapp what happens when you do that, Birmingham will be in the sh*t soon enough.
I still thought we would of spent 20odd million, no idea what on but I expected more money spent, what worries me more is graysons first interview where he said we won't have biggest budget but won't have the smallest either, surely ours is smallest so far!!

need McCormack, a CH and maybe a winger depending on what happens with Lens and Khazri - seeing as the net spend is minus £31 million Grayson has worked miracles but Short has done us no favours.

Read my post again, the 32m is paying off our debt plain and simple, as i said by the end of the season our debt should be a lot healthier, we can't keep wasting money on average players with higher wages and expect the debt to be forgotten, it's your opinion but going into a rant in Bold lettering isn't the way forward!

It's a travesty... Selling one of our best players just to service our f***ing debt, instead of reinvesting it... :evil: Short has a lot to answer for...!

Think Grayson has done pretty well

Obviously Councillor Watson has been helping him succeed...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back