Thoughts on our transfer business so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've just sold a goalkeeper for £30m, so you'd expect the club to give the manager at least half of that. It's dire times ahead IMO, though I sincerely hope I'm epically wrong, but can't see it..

At one point I would have shared your optimism marra, but this f***ing club has drained me of any hope now...

You can't ignore the facts, we've signed some quite mediocre players, with most of them not even owned by the club...

I'm starting to question whether letting my season ticket renew was right for me, as I can't help thinking about next Friday as being an utter chore... #bleak

A thought........weve all seen players lose heart and down tools,only to be rejuvenated when they move,why not here ?
They may well prove NOT to be mediochre but brilliant buys.Graysons record for getting real bargains is already proven. Why not here?
Who is to say he hasnt found some gems? Too early to give up the ghost mate, in a few months your season ticket could seem like its been a great decision.

Keep the faith while all around you lose theirs

A thought........weve all seen players lose heart and down tools,only to be rejuvenated when they move,why not here ?
They may well prove NOT to be mediochre but brilliant buys.Graysons record for getting real bargains is already proven. Why not here?
Who is to say he hasnt found some gems? Too early to give up the ghost mate, in a few months your season ticket could seem like its been a great decision.

Keep the faith while all around you lose theirs

We are going backwards marra and if ES is not careful, the damage he and his cronies have caused, could take a very very long time to repair.

I imagine this is the football equivalent of being catfished!!

The club have been doing this to us for years now... lure us in then never deliver...!

We are going backwards marra and if ES is not careful, the damage he and his cronies have caused, could take a very very long time to repair.

The club have been doing this to us for years now... lure us in then never deliver...!
It feels wrong that ive liked 2 of your posts today.

Canny shite.
Gipetto in negative post shocker

Anyone who says it's good business so far, needs to give their heads a shake. I feel sorry for SG having to build this club back up when the foundations are built on sand!
We were quite solid at the end of the bsa season and then that gonk moyes ( your hero) got the job and hey Presto foundations of sand.

Last edited:
Ship steadying springs to my mind and i'm all for having a nice steady ship for a change. I'll be happy to simply see some positive passionate football being played, even if it is ugly just to try and grind out a few results. Beats what we've suffered for a few season in the top flight. I'm happy to see an average player running through brick walls to keep his place in the team, than a great player not putting any effort in, cause he thinks he should be at a better club.

Pity Grayson. Not sure why he took the job. No win situation for him imo with this budget. If we finish top ten we'd have done well

well i can still remember the club buying 'a plank who is only good with his head and past it' along with 'a feckin dwarf that nobody has heard of that does not have a great scoring record', history will show why i would never make a football manager in a million years, of course i am talking about SNQ and SKP and my point being we have absolutely no idea how these lads will turn out.

as of this moment i feel that SG has done a good job of bulking the squad without spending, i also feel we will make some more signings with whatever budget there is and this might involve a couple of better known/better quality players...never expected a marquee signing and in all honesty i do not expect one for a good while, we knew short was after getting as much of his money back as he could possibly scrape out of the club and the very fact that he put the club on the market shows how little interest he truly has.

SG knows he needs a decent sized squad so i am still kind of hoping his own aim was to get bodies in before trying to add a little more quality, time will tell of course...not jumping about the house screaming 'get in yoooo fecker' with the signings as they were very much as expected, although i would still prefer to see that bit of skill brought in as well.

The incomings have been fairly underwhelming and the lack of reinvestment is fairly worrying. If we keep hold of Lens and Khazri I'd still fancy us to win the league. The quality in the championship is generally absolutely terrible, just have to look at the team that won it last year to see that.

Poor so far. McGeady and Browning the ones who could improve us, Grabban should be decent at this level. Disappointing window so far, especially since we still could lose 3 of our top players. The rest aren't inspiring: League One players, free signings coming after bad injuries etc.

We need a 20+ goalscorer (could be McCormack) and have replacements lined up if Kone, Khazri and/or Lens leave (Gradel level of replacements, not League One replacements).

I couldn't give a monkeys if we nivver spend big again if we pick up bargains. In fact I'd prefer it.
I'd nivver heard of Phillips or McCann or Johnson or Makin or Sorensen or Craddock or Arca or Roy or Marco. I thought Quinn and Summerbee and Rae and Thome and Hutchison were on the downward slope of their careers when we signed them.

There's a lot to be said for signings that make a team more than the sum of its parts.

Surely what is being missed here is if u can get some of our current players, lens, khazri, kone etc to play to their potential then you have £40m plus of talent in that little lot alone, so why buy? Now I know that's a stretch, but the logic is sound. Any buys therefore merely have to supplement what we have as a core. The two big areas of weakness, IMO, are replacing Defoe, who would have scored a f***ing lot at this level, and oshea, who is our worst player by a country mile.

Bang average tbh, going from the hottest young English gk to Steele is some come down, just like grabban and Vaughan after having Defoe last season that's a massive come down. It's all still in limbo though, should we keep kone khazari and lens this window which is highly highly unlikely but if we did and they played that's three quality players at this level.

My main fear is we sell most if not all three of them and si is given a million quid to replace them with a few days of the window left, that would mean this window had been utter disaster so it's all in limbo right now. Could be a decent window could be a disaster.

Bang average tbh, going from the hottest young English gk to Steele is some come down, just like grabban and Vaughan after having Defoe last season that's a massive come down. It's all still in limbo though, should we keep kone khazari and lens this window which is highly highly unlikely but if we did and they played that's three quality players at this level.

My main fear is we sell most if not all three of them and si is given a million quid to replace them with a few days of the window left, that would mean this window had been utter disaster so it's all in limbo right now. Could be a decent window could be a disaster.
That's the big risk (or the plan depending on how cynical you are), losing a few at the end of the window and not having time to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back