Thomas Cook - going bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going to zante/was going to zante on Thursday with Thomas Cook. Looking at plan b scenario as work is booked off for 2 weeks now and it's too late to cancel

Much cheaper than tui, certainly hope they don't go bust

Not in my experience flying from Newcastle. Over the last 8 years I've been away over a dozen times and I'm yet to find a decent deal on Thomas Cook. Both TUI and Jet2 have always been far cheaper for similar holidays.

Obviously I don't want them to go bust. 9,000 jobs at stake and a lad from work is amongst thousands due to go away with them this weekend.

Assume this means premiums to participate in ATOL will go up as they'll have had to bail out TC, or does it not work like that?

Ive got flights only to Tenerife with them next April. I was hoping that if things went wrong the airline element would be bought as a going concern seperate from the rest of company, as apparently that is profitable with some desirable routes.

I stupidly paid on debit card. Martin Lewis has a template you can still try and claim back on that but it is not legally binding, unlike credit card.

Like others, even if I get money back I doubt I'll get similar flights for the price now.

Got hol booked for next August. Paying 180 a month, atol protected but money comes out my debit card. Will I get a refund on what I've paid or is it lost ?

Can get new flights booked through B.A. saving £800, so if I can get me cash back jobs a goodun.

I flew back with them on Tuesday and was miles better than Jet 2 on the way out.

Shame.
We flew out to Thessaloniki with them and back with Jet 2 and it was the opposite. They had the smallest cabin allowance of all the carriers and it caught out about half of the plane, if you were a kg over they were charging you. Had to wait in a massive queue to pay the extra £28 which meant I missed a Facebook pre-flight pint. Fuck them.

Juat looked and get similar flights for around £200 more than what I paid. Might have to be ready to clock purchase of the worst happens and then try and get my cash back

I've got a direct debit plan with them for Disney. I've also included park tickets with it as well and have probably paid them about £2k so far. I know the holiday will be ATOL protected but I'm hoping the park tickets are as well

You are protected as you have travel insurance.

As long as you aren't someone who thinks they only need to book their insurance a day or so before they fly!
Got a holiday booked for next year which isn’t atol protected. Am I fucked if it goes bust?

Nope, your travel insurance will cover it.

Last edited:
Flying back on a flight only on Monday is the airline included in this or just the package side?

I'm not arsed if it's cancelled should be easy and cheap enough to get back and may as well have a few more nights.

I must admit that I had a mild panic this morning about flights booked next March to Innsbruck but they're with Thomson.

It would be a shame to see them go to the wall - a weird bit of SAFC related history - one of my great-grandparents got their 1913 cup final ticket through a Thomas Cook package - I've got the stub in my collection.
Thomson don't exist anymore.
Always going to struggle now we have Skyscanner, Airbnb and Uber - who needs travel agents ??
Lazy people. With bairns. Who want all inclusive and transfers.
Got a holiday booked for next year which isn’t atol protected. Am I fucked if it goes bust?
Yes.

Last edited:
Sounds like Monarch all over again but this time I'm not one of the employees being told it will all be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back