Thomas Cook - going bust?

I suppose so - but i never use travel agents and get some great deals and more importantly, independence

Which is exactly the same as what I do. The searching and planning is all part of it for me. But we're not all the same type of people remember...... which is good because it means I get to find some bargains (and also get to some more expensive but less known places)

It looks like they are going. I have worked overseas for them a number of times as a rep just spoke to a friend who’s still working for them in Ibiza and staff have been told it’s looking like it’s game over and further updates will be given in due course but for now not to just answer any questions off guests with it’s just a rumour however if anything ever was to happen we would have emergency plans in place so don’t worry.
It looks like they are going. I have worked overseas for them a number of times as a rep just spoke to a friend who’s still working for them in Ibiza and staff have been told it’s looking like it’s game over and further updates will be given in due course but for now not to just answer any questions off guests with it’s just a rumour however if anything ever was to happen we would have emergency plans in place so don’t worry.
Just spoke to another rep in Majorca and they are been told it’s rumours and they will be fine. Don’t know what to believe! Will soon come out in the wash I suppose

Last edited:
If I had a holiday booked with them I’d be checking my insurance will cover getting the money back, just in case they cant turn it around.

Im on thomas cook package leaving 7.20 tonight, 1st time with these, usually book it all meself or occasionally jet2 or tui. I'll be well pissed off if i get back late, due back 5am next sat in time for the match.

Im on thomas cook package leaving 7.20 tonight, 1st time with these, usually book it all meself or occasionally jet2 or tui. I'll be well pissed off if i get back late, due back 5am next sat in time for the match.
You won't be flying back on Thomas Cook I reckon. Fingers crossed that doesn't end up being the case.

If you ignore pricing the planes you fly on with TUI/Jet2/Thomas Cook/Easyjet/Ryanair etc. will all be almost identical and with the same shite legroom. But people will convince themselves otherwise.

TC have suffered mainly because of the way we book travel these days. They still have a pretty big retail estate to manage and while some do, the majority don't use travel agents anymore.

If you ignore pricing the planes you fly on with TUI/Jet2/Thomas Cook/Easyjet/Ryanair etc. will all be almost identical and with the same shite legroom. But people will convince themselves otherwise.

TC have suffered mainly because of the way we book travel these days. They still have a pretty big retail estate to manage and while some do, the majority don't use travel agents anymore.
Anecdotally (me sitting on the planes) jet2 and eayjet always feel a little bit more spacious in terms of legroom on newer planes whilst TUI and Thomas Cook have felt more cramped on older planes.

Always like to check on planespotter to see how old the plane is and if its had any youtube disasters :)

Last edited:
Sources say they are still hopeful of a deal.

Surely only a stay of execution though.

Problem is what assets do they have. Planes are either going to be leased or quite old (so Jet2 will probably buy them if they end up in a fire sale), travel agent offices are probably rented....

Probably not a lot worth saving for an investor

Last edited:
Anecdotally (me sitting on the planes) jet2 and eayjet always feel a little bit more spacious in terms of legroom on newer planes whilst TUI and Thomas Cook have felt more cramped on older planes.

Always like to check on planespotter to see how old the plane is and if its had any youtube disasters :)

100% will just be the seats they use. They all use the same type of aircraft typically and all cram in as many as possible.

Jet 2 have the oldest planes......but people have bought into the brand.

Just spoke to another rep in Majorca and they are been told it’s rumours and they will be fine. Don’t know what to believe! Will soon come out in the wash I suppose
I wouldn't like to be a rep of theirs at the minute, they will be getting dogs abuse over nowt they can do.

My step sister and her hubby have two weeks all inclusive in Tenerife booked with TC to fly out on 28th Dec,only last week the paid the full balance of the holiday.because of the news yesterday they started looking at what might be avaiable...even two weeks B&B at th3 same hotel is a couple of hundred more than they paid for AI.
It’s ridiculous if TC are allowed to fold,they need £200m but it would cost around 600m to repatriate the 150,000 who are on holiday at minute

any recommendations for somewhere else to go?

2 adults and a 7 year old.

i don't think my suggestion of christmas in vegas has gone down too well. :lol::lol:

100% will just be the seats they use. They all use the same type of aircraft typically and all cram in as many as possible.

Jet 2 have the oldest planes......but people have bought into the brand.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Jet 2 fit a different type of seat so they can fit in an extra row without compromising on leg room (too much).

Having enough leg room on aircraft is one of life's small consolations for being a short-arse!

My step sister and her hubby have two weeks all inclusive in Tenerife booked with TC to fly out on 28th Dec,only last week the paid the full balance of the holiday.because of the news yesterday they started looking at what might be avaiable...even two weeks B&B at th3 same hotel is a couple of hundred more than they paid for AI.
It’s ridiculous if TC are allowed to fold,they need £200m but it would cost around 600m to repatriate the 150,000 who are on holiday at minute
Crazy to let a company go to the wall for £200 mil who employ 23,000 people. On the flip side where does it end.
We send billions abroad for foreign aid.
I understand its not the governments job to step in but it's hard to take for their employee's

Back