This Is Wearside - New Display Org

How many people would they need to make it work?

Depends on what they intend on doing. 2 or 3 people can work on banners. It's time consuming with less obviously but it can be done. Anything bigger than that requires larger numbers. We must be the only club in the country that struggles to attract 20-25 year olds to this fan culture scene. Most clubs have 15-20 younguns lining up to get involved

Completely agree, although if I was being critical I don't think this "soft launch" was a good idea. Firstly, it's led to the tweet going out with the "working with the club" wording. The first thing put out there should have been from the group (a simple who they are, why they got involved and what they hope to achieve), that could have summarised how they'll need to work alongside safc in some aspects but could also have highlighted their independence.

Maybe a bit more controversially (attaches tin hat), I don't think it was a good idea for the first people see/ hear of the group to be at a women's game. Absolutely nowt against flags etc at the lasses games, but you've got to think about how it will be perceived. Not many are bothered about the lasses team, hence the attendances. The risk is that a lot will immediately think "I don't want my money to go towards banners at games I'm not arsed about". Again, better communication could have highlighted that people will be able to donate to things that interest them. Rightly or wrongly you can almost guarantee some will immediately have a negative opinion because of the first banners being for the lasses team. Start with the last home game or whatever, then do flags and banners for the mens, women's, u21s etc afterwards. I'm probably being overly critical though
Bang on GG👏👏

Depends on what they intend on doing. 2 or 3 people can work on banners. It's time consuming with less obviously but it can be done. Anything bigger than that requires larger numbers. We must be the only club in the country that struggles to attract 20-25 year olds to this fan culture scene. Most clubs have 15-20 younguns lining up to get involved

we were at Seaham Red Star v Boro Rangers (northern league) at the weekend and Boro brought up a few fans including 3 younguns who had banners, a drum and a megaphone and stood behind the goal , just the three of them, chanting and making as much as a scene as three 12 year old lads could muster. they were more entertaining than the game. about 10 red star bairns round round and started giving them shit

Have SO37 packed in?

Yes.
we were at Seaham Red Star v Boro Rangers (northern league) at the weekend and Boro brought up a few fans including 3 younguns who had banners, a drum and a megaphone and stood behind the goal , just the three of them, chanting and making as much as a scene as three 12 year old lads could muster. they were more entertaining than the game. about 10 red star bairns round round and started giving them shit

Good for them!

It's happening all over Scottish junior football now where younguns are ditching the elite clubs in favour of making a scene at their local junior clubs. Spartans are quite good as well as a number of others.

Last edited:
Yes.

Good for them!

It's happening all over Scottish junior football now where younguns are ditching the elite clubs in favour of making a scene at their local junior clubs. Spartans are quite good as well as a number of others.

aye you can't blame them like. £20odd to go into a big stadium as a bairn and get told to sit down and shut up. the fact that they can move around and stand with their mates and just pay on door is massive.

going to games now with you mates is like a military operation. if you haven't got a ST with a big group of your mates, its virtually impossible for young lads to simply just 'go to the match'

Can't be arsed with anymore displays for a long time. The way the club treat the fans (and so37) is ridiculous. Pissing up a wall with sunlun at the minutr

Wonder if these will be allowed to select their displays?

Seen as SO37 were told what they could display.

No anti mag stuff under any circumstances iirc
Hardly what happened was it? The sportswashing banner wouldn't have been approved by any club in the country. To my knowledge, that's the only display that got rejected.

Good point sleepy, you have a great day
Hardly what happened was it? The sportswashing banner wouldn't have been approved by any club in the country. To my knowledge, that's the only display that got rejected.
I’m sure you did a country wide survey to get those figures. Total guesswork. You’d have a valid point if they hadn’t converted our club bat into a Newcastle bar.

Last edited:
Good point sleepy, you have a great day

I’m sure you did a country wide survey to get those figures. Total guesswork. You’d have a valid point if they hadn’t converted our club bat into a Newcastle bar.
Well, naturally I haven’t asked every club in the country but I’d be willing to wager zero clubs would approve a banner publicly highlighting sports washing / issues with Saudi Arabia in football. There’s a reason football clubs don’t comment on it whether us as fans would like to or not.

Well, naturally I haven’t asked every club in the country but I’d be willing to wager zero clubs would approve a banner publicly highlighting sports washing / issues with Saudi Arabia in football. There’s a reason football clubs don’t comment on it whether us as fans would like to or not.

exactly. they would be too divisive

exactly. they would be too divisive
Well it’s just a highlight sensitive political situation as well isn’t it. We all know they shouldn’t be involved in the game or own a football club here but I firmly believe no club would warrant a display such as the one planned. Even if I agree with its sentiment

Yeah the club should have been bending over backwards to get SO37 involved and helping where they needed help ie storage, but criticism is a bit misplaced about the Sportswashing display, as like you say no club in the country would have allowed that.

I did always wonder what stopped them making smaller banners criticising the Mags and the Saudi regime mind, given how they managed to make banners criticising the club, based off twitter I'm assuming it was the same people.

They approved it. Then said “it’s fine but can you do a bit more pro-sunderland” then decided it wasn’t okay.

They also stopped the one against Boro last season.
Jesus Christ :lol: Well consider me corrected. I am blown away they approved in that case. Was in a single point of approval?
Yeah the club should have been bending over backwards to get SO37 involved and helping where they needed help ie storage, but criticism is a bit misplaced about the Sportswashing display, as like you say no club in the country would have allowed that.

I did always wonder what stopped them making smaller banners criticising the Mags and the Saudi regime mind, given how they managed to make banners criticising the club, based off twitter I'm assuming it was the same people.
The only way to get banners like that done is to not tell the club imo. No way Palace fans told their club about the Saudi banner :lol:

Back