This board and our fans are toxic

As others have said, it's the obvious outcome to the shit being served. It'd be mental if our fanbase wasn't becoming toxic and realistically it'll get worse if the team gets worse.

Just like it does and would at every other club. Basic cause and effect. The cause is no progress and having to put up with constant failure and the effect is a worse and worse attitude and response from fans.

Not a popular opinion but it's a fact we are becoming toxic. The team is woeful and playing without confidence. It's not a lack of effort it's the fact that the team is much weaker than this time last year and even then you could see our weaknesses across the park.
If I was a potential buyer or player and looked at this board I'd be keeping away from the place as it's a career threatening move.
I totally disagree with you on that mind... No way are Sunderland fans Toxic. I would say "were No ones fool" but we can spot a wrong'un miles away.

As others have said, it's the obvious outcome to the shit being served. It'd be mental if our fanbase wasn't becoming toxic and realistically it'll get worse if the team gets worse.

Just like it does and would at every other club. Basic cause and effect. The cause is no progress and having to put up with constant failure and the effect is a worse and worse attitude and response from fans.

I agree , it’s just an inevitable part of a downward spiral that we’ve been going down for many years.
Maybe we should be more patient with the players as they are not anything other than League 1 standard, but frustration boils over when we see less than 100% or basic stuff being cocked up.
The next stage is that many will stop going .
It’s tragic rather than toxic.

Loan = refinance or working capital

Except that the loan is to Madrox, and the cash has come into the club as share capital. So it's a peculiar hybrid; effectively a loan to Madrox leading to increased investment in the club. There are a lot of things about this that make it very far from a standard deal. Mrs G does a lot of work in the international tax/corporate finance/treasury areas (they all overlap), and there are clauses in the charge document she knows about, but has never seen used before. All the oddball things are those which will facilitate the Americans getting the club in the end.

Except that the loan is to Madrox, and the cash has come into the club as share capital. So it's a peculiar hybrid; effectively a loan to Madrox leading to increased investment in the club. There are a lot of things about this that make it very far from a standard deal. Mrs G does a lot of work in the international tax/corporate finance/treasury areas (they all overlap), and there are clauses in the charge document she knows about, but has never seen used before. All the oddball things are those which will facilitate the Americans getting the club in the end.

Nice insight. Would you say that they have agreed to some of those terms out of desperation, foresight or ignorance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice insight. Would you say that they have agreed to some of those oddball terms out of desperation, ignorance or foresight?

Most likely a combination of 1 and 3. They clearly wanted to keep the Americans on board one way or another. I've always thought, although I'll freely admit it's speculation, that the Americans are keen on the club, but less sure about the extent of the continuing role Donald will have. What they've got out of this is a pretty risk-free way of giving him a wedge of money and seeing if he can manage it properly.

I totally disagree with you on that mind... No way are Sunderland fans Toxic. I would say "were No ones fool" but we can spot a wrong'un miles away.
It seems like this whole thread will boil down to definitions of toxic. I think most neutrals watching the scenes at the final whistle of the Gillingham game where a very large section of our crowd booing the players as they went off would consider that 'toxic', but then I also reckon most of the fans booing and shouting abuse at the players as they walked off would say that isn't being toxic, it's just showing true feelings and not wanting to accept shit performances as acceptable.

They can be both things at the same time to different people.

Most likely a combination of 1 and 3. They clearly wanted to keep the Americans on board one way or another. I've always thought, although I'll freely admit it's speculation, that the Americans are keen on the club, but less sure about the extent of the continuing role Donald will have. What they've got out of this is a pretty risk-free way of giving him a wedge of money and seeing if he can manage it properly.

Tbf that's what Donald said. And he also labelled it an investment too.

Not a popular opinion but it's a fact we are becoming toxic. The team is woeful and playing without confidence. It's not a lack of effort it's the fact that the team is much weaker than this time last year and even then you could see our weaknesses across the park.
If I was a potential buyer or player and looked at this board I'd be keeping away from the place as it's a career threatening move.

Horseshit, I've not read the whole thread but let's clear up some of the facts.

As a fanbase we have endured 5 years of boardroom turmoil this includes (off the top of my head)

* Maggie Byrne and the whole Adam Johnson shit storm.
* The media avalanche at the appointment of PDC.
* Scrapping PL survival year after year before finally dropping (granted a Cup Final in 2014 and 6 in row as brighter spots)
* Back to back relegation and a players taking the piss... Rodwell, Kone etc.
* Martin Bain and Simon Grayson.
* Our lowest ever league finish in 140 years!

Yet the supporters have continued to turn in record numbers in 3rd tier (yes the 3rd tier of English football)

Despite losing a PL off final we sold more season cards, all this off the back of what are now looking like hollow and empty soundbites from SD.

It is not this board or supporters that are toxic it is sheer incompetence of absent owners and the puppets they employ to run this great club.

The only thing that isn't "toxic" about this cub and keeps us going IS the supporters.

Bolton and Bury have had it harder in recent years as did the likes of Leeds & Sheffield Utd previously... but you'll be hard pushed to find any club that has dropped so low continue to be backed by its fanbase.

I'm sick of this picture being painted that the current situation is somehow the fault of supporters.

Last edited:
I've said it before on here,the frustrations that come out in Sunderland fans comes out because no matter what age you are as a Sunderland fan, apart from a few decent interludes we've been shite for 60 years.
I can't quite remember the first ever relegation in '58 but there'll still be plenty of fans of our who can, and it's been all downhill ever since.
Now imagine if you're a young un who's just got on board the last 10 years or so, all you know is watching shit relegation threatened sides, which has culminated in the depths we've reached today.
Those who got on board in between, all you've watched is a yo yo team,constantly dropping between the divisions.
So whether you're 70 or 7 all you know is shite, so frustration is never far below the surface.
I'm astonished we still have the numbers of fans we do.

I've said it before on here,the frustrations that come out in Sunderland fans comes out because no matter what age you are as a Sunderland fan, apart from a few decent interludes we've been shite for 60 years.
I can't quite remember the first ever relegation in '58 but there'll still be plenty of fans of our who can, and it's been all downhill ever since.
Now imagine if you're a young un who's just got on board the last 10 years or so, all you know is watching shit relegation threatened sides, which has culminated in the depths we've reached today.
Those who got on board in between, all you've watched is a yo yo team,constantly dropping between the divisions.
So whether you're 70 or 7 all you know is shite, so frustration is never far below the surface.
I'm astonished we still have the numbers of fans we do.
I agree 100%

Back