Things you father used to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pick up that, your feet are closer to the floor than mine.
It's all over now. ( usually said after one side scored and during a McEnroe match caused the now legendary fight between my father and eldest brother)
They'll never believe me. ( sung)

"You know what thought thought, thought thought he'd shit himself and when he looked he had". .......................nope I have no idea either. Daft auld bugger.

I had quite the education vocabulary wise from my dad growing up in the 1980s.... usually whenever Maggie Thatcher was on the news :lol:

Mind you some of the stuff he came out without, the family would need a road map to understand where he was coming from...

"You know that thing from the other day, with what-his-name, where he was on about the do-dah... you know what I mean man, we saw it on the telly...."

Or he'd be thinking something over, and then start saying something halfway through.

"You can't kid a kidder."
"If you fall off there and break both your legs, don't come running to me!"
"You're not watching The Sweeney! Now get to bed!"
"I've only got one hair on my chest and he's called Tony because he's the Tony one I've got":confused:

Not my Da but my Granda, who used to work as a fitter for the electricity board, on seeing me tinkering with a piece of electrical equipment would always say "Watch what you're doing with that, else you'll gan up in a blue light!"
Reminded me of another. My dad doing anything electrical, red to red, black to black, blue to bits.

Stop crying or I will hit you again; men don't cry.
:(:(

my next door neighbour would sometimes say "i'll swing for ya!" when shouting at his kids

in a noosey type of way i think, not like a punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back