Things you father used to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody younguns! He hated kids. After he had a stroke he was unsteady on his feet and lost some confidence walking.
Always remember two younguns bringing him home, he had saw them up ahead and stood to the side of the path incase they pushed him over. There was a little wooden fence covering some bushes that went down a hill, he went to close to the fence, toppled over and into the bushes. The two lads pulled him out and walked him home. The daft sod still didn't like bloody younguns :lol:

If anything smutty came on the telly and my Mam didn't understand why we were laughing Dad used to say to her 'I'll tell you later, Norma'. :lol: I never knew if he ever told her or not!

My dad used to spell things, instead of saying them, to my mum if he didn't want us to know what he was saying.

:D not realising we were all good spellers and readers.

If anything smutty came on the telly and my Mam didn't understand why we were laughing Dad used to say to her 'I'll tell you later, Norma'. :lol: I never knew if he ever told her or not!
My bro invented a whistle noise for smut on the telly, phew pho phew pho like that coo coo bird.

You know what Thor thought? thor thought he'd shit himself and when he looked he had.
Makes perfect sense to me, who is the daft bugger ;)

Let me explain. When a young person or child says, as an excuse for some minor misdemeanour, ".... well I thought..." the pearl of wisdom from the older lady or gentleman is to say "...'Thought'!? You "thought"!?. Well you know what 'thought' thought? "Thought" thought..." etc etc. Over the years the actual ideas that passed through 'thought's' mind became unnecessary to describe. It was enough to simply say 'you know what 'thought' thought?' and the child - having no idea what the adult was talking about, was expected to complete the phrase. Eventually even the adults uttering the phrase had no idea what they were talking about.

The earlier original of the phrase however is more precisely "You know what thought did?" Followed by "He didn't do anything - he just thought he did."

Examples:
  1. 'A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue,' 2nd edn., 1788: 'What did thought do? Lay in bed and besh*t himself, and thought he was up';
  2. "Jonathan Swift, 'Polite Conversation,' 1738:
LADY ANSWERALL: I thought you did just now.
LORD SPARKISH: Pray, Madam, what did thought do?

Wonderful thing Google.

money is the route of all evil.

Root. Money is the 'root' of all evil.

Wonderful thing a dictionary

Let me explain. When a young person or child says, as an excuse for some minor misdemeanour, ".... well I thought..." the pearl of wisdom from the older lady or gentleman is to say "...'Thought'!? You "thought"!?. Well you know what 'thought' thought? "Thought" thought..." etc etc. Over the years the actual ideas that passed through 'thought's' mind became unnecessary to describe. It was enough to simply say 'you know what 'thought' thought?' and the child - having no idea what the adult was talking about, was expected to complete the phrase. Eventually even the adults uttering the phrase had no idea what they were talking about.

The earlier original of the phrase however is more precisely "You know what thought did?" Followed by "He didn't do anything - he just thought he did."

Examples:
  1. 'A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue,' 2nd edn., 1788: 'What did thought do? Lay in bed and besh*t himself, and thought he was up';
  2. "Jonathan Swift, 'Polite Conversation,' 1738:
LADY ANSWERALL: I thought you did just now.
LORD SPARKISH: Pray, Madam, what did thought do?

Wonderful thing Google.

Root. Money is the 'root' of all evil.

Wonderful thing a dictionary
The love of money is the root of all evil.

Wonderful thing a good memory.

Whatever match, even times when we were playing well, "I don't care what you say and that was a good win today, but that is the worst team I have ever seen play in Sunderland shirts".

Oh, and the entire repertoire of Bobby Thompson jokes over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back