Things you father used to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sunderland's problem for the whole of their existence is the directors creaming off money. I saw them doing it when I worked at Roker Park"

Every time someone "Stole" the money on Goldenballs: "I HOPE IT BRINGS YER NOWT BUT MISERY!"

If I ever saw him pottering about the garden and asked what he was doing, he'd say, 'building a duck-house'.

We didn't have any ducks.

Let me explain. When a young person or child says, as an excuse for some minor misdemeanour, ".... well I thought..." the pearl of wisdom from the older lady or gentleman is to say "...'Thought'!? You "thought"!?. Well you know what 'thought' thought? "Thought" thought..." etc etc. Over the years the actual ideas that passed through 'thought's' mind became unnecessary to describe. It was enough to simply say 'you know what 'thought' thought?' and the child - having no idea what the adult was talking about, was expected to complete the phrase. Eventually even the adults uttering the phrase had no idea what they were talking about.

The earlier original of the phrase however is more precisely "You know what thought did?" Followed by "He didn't do anything - he just thought he did."

Examples:
  1. 'A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue,' 2nd edn., 1788: 'What did thought do? Lay in bed and besh*t himself, and thought he was up';
  2. "Jonathan Swift, 'Polite Conversation,' 1738:
LADY ANSWERALL: I thought you did just now.
LORD SPARKISH: Pray, Madam, what did thought do?

Wonderful thing Google.

Root. Money is the 'root' of all evil.

Wonderful thing a dictionary
Ok mate , sorry for the error.

Totally un pc my dad back in the day

Me "dad where's mam"
Him "she's ran off with a black man"

Me "Dad what's for tea"
Him "shit wi sugar on"

"that's not f***ing music man, it's just noise"

If I said anyone in music I liked was cool (Morrissey and Axl Rose for example) he would reply "Yes son,some would say moronic but what do they know"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back