Things you father used to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember my Dad being on nights when me and my Brother were acting up downstairs and him shouting down

"If you two don't pack it in I'll come down and fist the pair of you"

I now have visions of him wearing us like a pair of gloves.
:lol::lol:

when eating, it was allways elbows of table when eating when young :lol:

Unless you have good reason to guard your plate with the ferocity of a street urchin fearful that a brute will swipe his meager ration of gruel, it is wholly inappropriate to eat with your elbows on the table. The law against it is at least two millennia old, I think, not knowing how else to interpret the line in the Wisdom of Sirach listing “leaning with thine elbow at meat” as a thing to be ashamed of—a crime in the same category as theft, iniquity, unjust dealing, and “whoredom before father and mother.” Yes, eating with your elbows on the table is so aesthetically offensive (how crude you look!) and so socially disruptive (how about you give people some space?) as to achieve a dimension of immorality. On this point, the guidebooks of Victorian England concur with the teachings of the ancients: “All such acts as leaning over on one side in your chair, placing your elbows on the table, or on the back of your neighbor’s chair, gaping, twisting about restlessly in your seat, are to be avoided as heresies of the infidel stamp.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/..._elbows_on_the_table_and_work_travel_for.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back