Things that irritate you more than they should

Status
Not open for further replies.

One type of call centre speak that irritates me inordinately is the use of he word ‘yourself’ when the word ‘you’ is what’s intended. My belief is that it’s a misguided attempt to be polite or more formal or something.

Example: “is there anything else I can do for yourself?”

One type of call centre speak that irritates me inordinately is the use of he word ‘yourself’ when the word ‘you’ is what’s intended. My belief is that it’s a misguided attempt to be polite or more formal or something.

Never experienced this myself (!) but if I was ever asked that, my reply would be “yes - kindly refer to me as ‘you’ not ‘yourself’ if you want this conversation to continue a moment longer!”

My response to that would be, "well, you can go fuck yourself for that atrocious sentence but other than that, I'm good"

When people say left or right in a political sense, I've looked up both meanings on wiki but still dont understand wtf left or right means.

When people say left or right in a political sense, I've looked up both meanings on wiki but still dont understand wtf left or right means.

If you wear a cravat anyone who disagrees with you is a liberal leftie
If you wear sandals anyone who disagrees with you is extreme right wing

Hope this helps

I get irritated more than I should by pretentious descriptions in restaurant menus - 'Soup of the moment', for example, or 'a curated selection of cheeses' - don't get me started on 'artisan'
:lol:

I was at a friend's house over the weekend and he brought out this regular looking French bread and the package said it was "artisan". He brought it out and said that I absolutely had to try this bread. I looked at it and said, "Isn't it just French bread?" He said it wasn't just French bread it was artisan French bread and that once I tried it I would know the difference. I tried it. Tasted just like regular French bread so I told him. He said I didn't know my bread.

He paid a pretty penny for it, too. I made fun of him for it any chance I got:lol:

:lol:

I was at a friend's house over the weekend and he brought out this regular looking French bread and the package said it was "artisan". He brought it out and said that I absolutely had to try this bread. I looked at it and said, "Isn't it just French bread?" He said it wasn't just French bread it was artisan French bread and that once I tried it I would know the difference. I tried it. Tasted just like regular French bread so I told him. He said I didn't know my bread.

He paid a pretty penny for it, too. I made fun of him for it any chance I got:lol:

Yep, Artisan is attached to anything to increase the price - if you'd gone to shop where some flour doused French bloke with dough under his fingernails served you then maybe

Yep, Artisan is attached to anything to increase the price - if you'd gone to shop where some flour doused French bloke with dough under his fingernails served you then maybe
Exactly. This is store bought and factory packaged bread. Artisan my ass

I've never heard of Artisan before other than that old computer program that was like paint.

ar·ti·san
[ˈärdəzən]
NOUN
  1. a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand.
    synonyms: craftsman · craftswoman · craftsperson · skilled worker · mechanic · technician · operative · maker · smith · wright · journeyman · artificer ·
    [more]
    • (of food or drink) made in a traditional or non-mechanized way using high-quality ingredients.
      "local artisan cheeses" · "the growing appreciation of artisan foods"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back