They missed out Penshaw Monument

Status
Not open for further replies.

For me growing up in the 80's it was the "peterlee for industry" sign on the A19. Now though its Penshaw monument - that means i'm about 30 seconds from home as i live 5 minutes away from it!

For Liam Heenan, from Newcastle, the first glimpse of the Angel is a welcome reminder he is nearly home.

"When you have driven all day up the M1 and A1, the sight of the Angel of the North to your right means you're only 10 minutes away from a deserved cuppa," he said.

Me thinks Liam might be breaking the speed limit if he can get from the Angel of the North to his Newcastle home in 10 minutes.

People slagging off one of britains best known art installations :D

Why not be proud of penshaw monument AND the angel? It doesn't have to be one or the other

The angel is an overated piece of tat. The design is awful and since when is rust attractive? Despite its size it isn't very visible from any sort of distance either.

Penshaw is visible from at least 5 miles away, the design is classical Greek. It is wonderful and very much under rated by anyone not from Wearside.

On a clear day it can be seen from here with binoculars. About 25 miles.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.6831764,-2.0125316,630m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1?hl=en

Last edited:
The angel is shit. It's the emporer's new clothes. Apart from being very big it has no appeal.
Yet it's one of the north easts best known landmarks...

Just google image search 'north east England', it's the first proper image that comes up under the maps.

I love the angel of the North, but agreed on you not being able to see it that well from the motorway.

To dismiss it as tat is ridiculous IMO.
It's one of the most iconic structures in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back