They missed out Penshaw Monument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me and me brother took my neices to Blackpool last year, did the first to spot the tower. Very competitive. I won.
Usually the driver spots pensha monononument first due to the curve in the road. Before wearing a seatbelt was compulsory our kid brother would lean forward or even stand between the front seats in order to spot it. If our dad had braked then he'd have gone flying!

For me it has always been Scotch Corner. A few minutes from the A19 and once you hit the A19 then you are home.

I agree that Penshaw is far more noticeable than the Angel too.
Snap. As kids it was always "Scotch Corner, nearly home". Mind as kids after a long drive it still felt a godawful distance to actual home from there.

Not a landmark for me getting home but I absolutely love Emley Moor Tower for its sheer prominence. The number of places it is visible from is staggering.

Penshaw for me too. I lived in Wallsend up by the coast road for a while decades ago and I could see Penshaw Monument from my window (on a clear day). So coming home from down south I felt connected to home when Penshaw Monument came into view knowing it could be seen from my house.

I was talking about this thread to a mate who is 59 and I mentioned that seeing Dawdon Blast from the train made me realise I was coming home and he didn't even know where the Blast was. I was staggereed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back