They missed out Penshaw Monument

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Angel is a good landmark, but nothing to Penshaw Monument. Always penshaw for me, and not just when i'm returning home from hols. I cycle all round the local area and it good to see it from lots of locations.
You can see Penshaw before the Angel on the train coming up from the south on the east coast mainline first, and sure you can see it from the A1 coming from the south too

The Angel is a good landmark, but nothing to Penshaw Monument. Always penshaw for me, and not just when i'm returning home from hols. I cycle all round the local area and it good to see it from lots of locations.

The angel is an overated piece of tat. The design is awful and since when is rust attractive? Despite its size it isn't very visible from any sort of distance either.

Penshaw is visible from at least 5 miles away, the design is classical Greek. It is wonderful and very much under rated by anyone not from Wearside.

Penshaw is visible from at least 5 miles away, the design is classical Greek. It is wonderful and very much under rated by anyone not from Wearside.

I'd agree with this. The ammout of people from Newcastle, and the like, who've never heard of it is staggering.

On a good day you can see it from killingworth which is 13 miles as the crow flies.

Definitely the Ornament for me. When I'm down, normally get the train/metri from Newcastle to Sunderland. We were down the other week for the Celtic match and changed plans to meet my dad in Durham and have a wander about there instead. Was pleased to note that I could spot Penshaw from that route as well.

The angel is an overated piece of tat. The design is awful and since when is rust attractive? Despite its size it isn't very visible from any sort of distance either.

I like the Angel is a piece of art but I've argued before that the location is wrong and doesn't have the impact of Penshaw Monument. You almost have to be on top of it before seeing it.
I never hear people saying that they know they are home when they see the Angel and I know a lot who live in Newcastle/Gateshead.
Of course the SMB told me I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back