These Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.

They are close to completing a development where I live in York, which was blocked due to serious opposition for many years.

The land is called Germany Beck and the village is Fulford. What could possibly go wrong?
I used to live in Fulford - I can't believe they have been building there. From there right across to the A19 was always a bad spot for flooding. I remember a number of times the flooding covering a lot of the road and traffic reduced to one lane. It's York, it was part of the way of life, just like the Kings Arms being closed. Stupid place to build houses.

I was thinking about York and their flood defences with the most recent flooding. At the north end of the City, just before the bridge through to Clifton (Water End), there are masses of fields to the east of the Ouse, but they build large earth mounds with a path on top as a flood defence. Surely now, rather than the water being able to flood those fields and make a temporary lake, that is now funneled down into the city centre? Looking at the map now, there are loads of areas you could use effectively as water storage but they did the opposite.

There are some fields like that upstream from Canterbury which serve the very useful flood prevention (or rather control where it floods). There is currently a battle on to build 100 houses on them.
A couple of the houses I used to live in on that video. Moved out of York in 2005 - makes me want to go back for a visit (when it dries out)

Last edited:
I used to live in Fulford - I can't believe they have been building there. From there right across to the A19 was always a bad spot for flooding. I remember a number of times the flooding covering a lot of the road and traffic reduced to one lane. It's York, it was part of the way of life, just like the Kings Arms being closed. Stupid place to build houses.

I was thinking about York and their flood defences with the most recent flooding. At the north end of the City, just before the bridge through to Clifton (Water End), there are masses of fields to the east of the Ouse, but they build large earth mounds with a path on top as a flood defence. Surely now, rather than the water being able to flood those fields and make a temporary lake, that is now funneled down into the city centre? Looking at the map now, there are loads of areas you could use effectively as water storage but they did the opposite.

There are some fields like that upstream from Canterbury which serve the very useful flood prevention (or rather control where it floods). There is currently a battle on to build 100 houses on them.

A couple of the houses I used to live in on that video. Moved out of York in 2005 - makes me want to go back for a visit (when it dries out)
They have build a hump back flood defence over the A19 in Fulford at the entrance to the new development

Absolute shite, there's been more tree planting and hedge laying in the last 30 years than the previous 30. Round my way me and my neighbour have planted loads of trees and hedges. My neighbour was on yesterday but not two miles away is the site of Integra 61, they're bulldozed miles of trees and hedges and put a massive Amazon wharehouse up. Where do you think the rainwater from this place goes, yep you've guessed it straight into the local beck that goes into the river wear......and Its farmers that are causing flooding, fuck off man.
He made some valid points (as did you as it happens) so why sound so angry? Calm down man.

It's canny living in the north east way up high like :cool:
We're on a slope but with the added bonus of an underground stream that becomes an overground one.

At the moment it's only pooling into a lake in the farmyard before going back underground but when it's heavier to flows passed our back door, round the corner and then across into a ditch that takes it away just as it's done for hundreds of years.

Never floods the house and never a real problem, although I guess it was a pain in previous eras when the inhabitants would have had to go plodging in order to reach the outside toilet.

Paid for by an increase in customers' water bills?

Nah, the southern water companies just need to fix their leaks.
They have a lack of water storage because they've filled in a lot of their reservoirs for building on. The groundwater they are abstracting will become more and more saline as time goes on. Diverting water from flood prone areas in the West would partially solve both problems.

Going to have that problem in Earsdon near Whitley Bay as they have built/building on the flood planes and anybody local will tell you that the field used to get flooded yearly.

Unless they have spent millions on better drainage I can see it flooding with heavy rain.

When there’s a flood warning, everyone should fill their baths and sinks, this will help empty the reservoirs and and allow the rain somewhere to go.
What happens when everyone then empties their baths and sinks.
Paid for by an increase in customers' water bills?

Nah, the southern water companies just need to fix their leaks.
We can sell Southern Water some of our water for "market rates" That`ll rebalance the North South divide.

They have a lack of water storage because they've filled in a lot of their reservoirs for building on. The groundwater they are abstracting will become more and more saline as time goes on. Diverting water from flood prone areas in the West would partially solve both problems.
South East Water, which does half of Kent, does not have any reservoirs in Kent. They depend on underground aquifers. They generally need a long sustained spell of moderate rain to fill (which is what we have had this winter), rather than a few big downpours.

Over the years, there have been plans for reservoirs around the Canterbury area to increase water storage and to prevent further flooding - though flooding is not a massive problem. All applications have been turned down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back