These Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farming on an industrial level has removed trees n hedges both of which soak up water. Farmers now want water off their land ASAP It’s got to go somewhere.
The reintroduction of beavers will eventually solve this problem then increase fish, insects, birds etc etc as a spin off. Govt will have to compensate farmers for land flooded by their dams but the farmers won’t give a shit where the money comes from or why, they’re only interested in the grants measured in sq metres.
Pickering had this trouble for 6 yrs out of 11 a while back. Govt decided it needed a £1 billion pound defence wall that would’ve split the town in two and been ugly. A rewilying charity told them get a pair of beavers upstream but govt wouldn’t have it. So a beaver expert told them where to artificially dam their river upstream And plant trees n hedges. Local govt got a £2.5m grant to do it using conservation volunteers. Its sorted now but two beavers are a lot cheaper than £2.5m or £1bn which could go to hospitals or nhs or schools or fire brigade or libraries or new trees n hedges elsewhere etc etc.

Beaver reintroduction in England has been tested elsewhere and passed another couple of govt stages recently. Scotland, Germany, Scandinavia etc have beeen doing it for years but they’re a lot more advanced in most green matters than the English govts of both hues.
We haven't got an English government

Farming on an industrial level has removed trees n hedges both of which soak up water. Farmers now want water off their land ASAP It’s got to go somewhere.
The reintroduction of beavers will eventually solve this problem then increase fish, insects, birds etc etc as a spin off. Govt will have to compensate farmers for land flooded by their dams but the farmers won’t give a shit where the money comes from or why, they’re only interested in the grants measured in sq metres.
Pickering had this trouble for 6 yrs out of 11 a while back. Govt decided it needed a £1 billion pound defence wall that would’ve split the town in two and been ugly. A rewilying charity told them get a pair of beavers upstream but govt wouldn’t have it. So a beaver expert told them where to artificially dam their river upstream And plant trees n hedges. Local govt got a £2.5m grant to do it using conservation volunteers. Its sorted now but two beavers are a lot cheaper than £2.5m or £1bn which could go to hospitals or nhs or schools or fire brigade or libraries or new trees n hedges elsewhere etc etc.

Beaver reintroduction in England has been tested elsewhere and passed another couple of govt stages recently. Scotland, Germany, Scandinavia etc have beeen doing it for years but they’re a lot more advanced in most green matters than the English govts of both hues.
Absolute shite, there's been more tree planting and hedge laying in the last 30 years than the previous 30. Round my way me and my neighbour have planted loads of trees and hedges. My neighbour was on yesterday but not two miles away is the site of Integra 61, they're bulldozed miles of trees and hedges and put a massive Amazon wharehouse up. Where do you think the rainwater from this place goes, yep you've guessed it straight into the local beck that goes into the river wear......and Its farmers that are causing flooding, fuck off man.

Absolute shite, there's been more tree planting and hedge laying in the last 30 years than the previous 30. Round my way me and my neighbour have planted loads of trees and hedges. My neighbour was on yesterday but not two miles away is the site of Integra 61, they're bulldozed miles of trees and hedges and put a massive Amazon wharehouse up. Where do you think the rainwater from this place goes, yep you've guessed it straight into the local beck that goes into the river wear......and Its farmers that are causing flooding, fuck off man.
Built up areas with impermeable bases cause a lot of the flooding. It also prevents ground water resources from recharging. We seem to have not enough fresh water and too much of it at the same time. We need to find solutions to utilise it not build barriers to push the problem elsewhere

Reactions: DJP
Built up areas with impermeable bases cause a lot of the flooding. It also prevents ground water resources from recharging. We seem to have not enough fresh water and too much of it at the same time. We need to find solutions to utilise it not build barriers to push the problem elsewhere
Your right mind, one of the main problems is run off on arable fields from exposed ploughing over winter. If left in stubble the roots of the crop keep the land more permeable.
Direct drilling the winter crop is also a big help. The main trouble is lack of cash to implement these things. The drills are fecking dear. So not only are trees a help how the land is farmed is too.
However like I'm saying and good we seem to do is flushed down the pan by such as that Amazon set up. We need a joined up approach.

When I was a kid Northumbrian Water used to turn up on a regular basis and chop down random bankside trees that they deemed in danger of falling over/dropping a bough and blocking our beck. When the farmers whose fields the trees were in - and whose fields were the ones that flooded - tried to stop them (pointing out, quite reasonably, that water meadows were meant to flood), instead of backing down and pissing off NW went down the "we've got statutory powers" BS route and threatened to get the police involved.

f***ing townies ...

And when was the last time you saw a gulper cleaning out the drains ?
They were always around the estate streets when I was a young'un.

If they are going to build houses on flood plains they should make the houses flood resistant. Have houses built on piles raising them from the ground with a damp course 6 foot from the ground. The area below could be used for off road parking.

Where’s your way? Obviously the floods dotted about the country are all caused by the Amazon warehouse down the road from you. You’ve just admitted it’s an absence of trees n hedges causing floods yourself.
If you believe I was implying it’s only farmer’s demolishing trees n hedges....

800 being built near me, wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.
Developers are a disgrace. More so councils for allowing them to build on flood plains.

When it comes to selling them, nothing will get mentioned about potential flooding, they'll just take the money and run.
If they are going to build houses on flood plains they should make the houses flood resistant. Have houses built on piles raising them from the ground with a damp course 6 foot from the ground. The area below could be used for off road parking.
Just don't build on flood plains.

They're flood plains for a reason.

Developers are a disgrace. More so councils for allowing them to build on flood plains.

When it comes to selling them, nothing will get mentioned about potential flooding, they'll just take the money and run.

Flood plains cover a massive area of the country and land is at a premium. Build and expect to be flooded.
What's wrong with this type of house?

The 'land' area of flood plain in the UK is staggering. We definitely need a change in strategy but not building on them isn't really an option.

Last edited:
Where’s your way? Obviously the floods dotted about the country are all caused by the Amazon warehouse down the road from you. You’ve just admitted it’s an absence of trees n hedges causing floods yourself.
If you believe I was implying it’s only farmer’s demolishing trees n hedges....
I was using the example of the Amazon wherehouse. Near thiford.
What I'm saying is it's not farmers removing hedges and trees, they can't without planning permission that's very very hard to get. But these building sites and developments rip them out wholesale because money talks.
Trees and hedges do make a difference with retaining water to a point but therse been so much rain they can only hold back so much .it needs to be a combination of things including looking at where we are building these houses as well as tree planting and soil water retention.

Plus, once developers do have planning permission they still go and do things they don't have planning permission for.

Here's what happened in Geneva [he says whilst currently at Schiphol Airport awaiting his Teesside flight] a few years ago:

It is illegal to advertize the basement area of a house as living area, it has to be classed as either storage space or recreational space.

But that didn't stop a developer near me who was given planning permission to build on a flood plain from including the basement area as living space (bedrooms etc.) when selling them.

The estate agents handling the sales didn't complain, and neither did the buyers nor the buyers's lawyers.

Within a year of being built the whole development flooded and all the basements were wrecked. As the flooding happened during the night some people are rather lucky to be alive.

What's the price difference between building on flat land and building on a slope anyway, I'm sure the demand for 'cheap' [sic] housing [edit: sorry, houses ffs :rolleyes:] is the main cause for allowing flood plain developments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back