These Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to be happening more and more frequently. What can we do about them, and why is it happening?
I've read a few theories as to why-
Global Warming- changes to weather patterns means more precipitation over the UK
Industrial Farming- the destruction of woodlands and forests to gain more grazing land, the trees soak up shitloads of water and with them gone the water is more apparent
No dredging of rivers and waterways- means they can hold smaller volume of water

I'd be gutted if my house, street, town, village was under 3 feet of shitty brown watta every couple of year
A bit of all that but we've had a relatively dry winter really. One of the biggest problems is the amount of land that has been built on so rain water forms streams and the drains overflow. We do also tend to build houses in stupid places

Keeps happening time and time again ffs I cant imagine how those poor people are feeling with their homes in that state. Its about time the people in charge got their priorities right.

Ancestors knew exactly where the water flows. Then avoided these areas for shelter. Fast forward 100 years developers think they know better. Getting shares in wellies and damp proof

Some were built near me. It's a dip where all the water runs down from Stanley and pools, then flows into a stream which eventually runs into the River Team and then then Tyne. Durham County Council planners were out during a dry spell and claiming the land never floods at all. They wouldn't listen to the people like me who've lived here years and wear wellies to walk dogs round there in the bad weather. Now people living there are complaining when it rains as their gardens get badly waterlogged.

800 being built near me, wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.
Plans down here to build a further 70 on a well known flood plain, thats added to the couple of hundred already built about 500 yards up the river, householders who basically can`t get out of their estate if someone has a piss up in Hebden Bridge let alone a downpour like we`ve had recently.
An extremely well educated councillor, well labour so obviously more educated than us mere mortals actually turned round and said it`s "worth the risk" building there before promptly granting permission. Pleased it`s not 100k plus of my hard earned thats going to be swept away

They are close to completing a development where I live in York, which was blocked due to serious opposition for many years.

The land is called Germany Beck and the village is Fulford. What could possibly go wrong?
:lol: :lol: We thought we had it bad. Free snorkels, wetsuits and midget subs for every house bought?

They are close to completing a development where I live in York, which was blocked due to serious opposition for many years.

The land is called Germany Beck and the village is Fulford. What could possibly go wrong?
Walked through that development last week, couldn’t believe how high the beck was.

Why don't we utilise the power of the water? Why don't we build dams in appropriate places, control the flow and generate hydroelectric power as a spin off? Might sound a bit extreme and totally off the wall but it's probably better than what we're currently doing.
Well yes its a thought, it keeps on happening so major change is needed.

Ive seen a few interviews with these poor people up to waist in water and all i could think was “crying is not gonna help, in fact if anything ur making it worse love”

sorry, but that Jimmy Carr joke was class

Ive seen a few interviews with these poor people up to waist in water and all i could think was “crying is not gonna help, in fact if anything ur making it worse love”

sorry, but that Jimmy Carr joke was class
Crying wont help, they should have got swimming lessons ;)

We can just let the rivers and streams overflow into the flood plains like they have done for thousands of years. Oh wait a minute, didn't we build houses on them floodplains. Okay then we'll build flood defences around those flood plains and divert the water further down stream, what could possibly go wrong?

Farming on an industrial level has removed trees n hedges both of which soak up water. Farmers now want water off their land ASAP It’s got to go somewhere.
The reintroduction of beavers will eventually solve this problem then increase fish, insects, birds etc etc as a spin off. Govt will have to compensate farmers for land flooded by their dams but the farmers won’t give a shit where the money comes from or why, they’re only interested in the grants measured in sq metres.
Pickering had this trouble for 6 yrs out of 11 a while back. Govt decided it needed a £1 billion pound defence wall that would’ve split the town in two and been ugly. A rewilying charity told them get a pair of beavers upstream but govt wouldn’t have it. So a beaver expert told them where to artificially dam their river upstream And plant trees n hedges. Local govt got a £2.5m grant to do it using conservation volunteers. Its sorted now but two beavers are a lot cheaper than £2.5m or £1bn which could go to hospitals or nhs or schools or fire brigade or libraries or new trees n hedges elsewhere etc etc.

Beaver reintroduction in England has been tested elsewhere and passed another couple of govt stages recently. Scotland, Germany, Scandinavia etc have beeen doing it for years but they’re a lot more advanced in most green matters than the English govts of both hues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back