These Floods

maygo

Winger
They seem to be happening more and more frequently. What can we do about them, and why is it happening?
I've read a few theories as to why-
Global Warming- changes to weather patterns means more precipitation over the UK
Industrial Farming- the destruction of woodlands and forests to gain more grazing land, the trees soak up shitloads of water and with them gone the water is more apparent
No dredging of rivers and waterways- means they can hold smaller volume of water

I'd be gutted if my house, street, town, village was under 3 feet of shitty brown watta every couple of year

Building on floodplains, not dredgeing, concrete/ block paving over gardens. The tree thing only works to a point I have a 14 acre woodland and the water is cascading through it.
It's rained almost none stop since the 28th of September last year. If you look around there is lucky to be 30% of the crops sown in the countryside. So less root structure to hold water run off.
The water table is massively high

They seem to be happening more and more frequently. What can we do about them, and why is it happening?
I've read a few theories as to why-
Global Warming- changes to weather patterns means more precipitation over the UK
Industrial Farming- the destruction of woodlands and forests to gain more grazing land, the trees soak up shitloads of water and with them gone the water is more apparent
No dredging of rivers and waterways- means they can hold smaller volume of water

I'd be gutted if my house, street, town, village was under 3 feet of shitty brown watta every couple of year

They need to drain the rivers and put it all into the ocean #whatfloods

Build on flood plains, stick defences up for said plains and then the water has to go somewhere further down.
In fairness we have had a stupid amount of rain and proper flood defences aren’t built over night so we will unfortunately will keep getting floods,
heart goes out to the poor fuckers getting flooded out and I do wonder if insurance companies, being the blood sucking bastards they are start not insuring people or charging silly amounts in some areas so the twats don’t have to shell out.

Could also twat your property value once you’re a known flood risk

Back