The Terror

Hope not, it was great as a standalone, everyone either died or had their happy ending
That's what gets me. Things get wrapped up in shows but they resurrect them anyway and ruin their legacy. Look at Arrested Development and the X-Files, for example. f***ing shite.

Entirely justified.
I wouldn't be happy with someone extending one of my standalone books into a long-winded tumult of cheesy Hollywood TV seasons. Totally unnecessary. If the book warranted a sequel it would have been written. Still, the binge watching masses need appeasing, I suppose. Looking forward to Of Mice and Men 2: The Sequeling and 1985: Revenge of Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be happy with someone extending one of my standalone books into a long-winded tumult of cheesy Hollywood TV seasons. Totally unnecessary. If the book warranted a sequel it would have been written. Still, the binge watching masses need appeasing, I suppose. Looking forward to Of Mice and Men 2: The Sequeling and 1985: Revenge of Smith.

Except Margaret Atwood is directly involved in the second series of the programme and says the biggest question she's had from fans is what happens next and she'd been playing around with further ideas for that world for a while now. Some stories warrant continuing, some don't

Except Margaret Atwood is directly involved in the second series of the programme and says the biggest question she's had from fans is what happens next and she'd been playing around with further ideas for that world for a while now. Some stories warrant continuing, some don't
Why didn't she write a sequel then? She's had her palm greased, plain and simple. To think otherwise is a bit naive, I reckon. The end of the book allows you to construct your own ideas about what happens, only f***ing dullards would demand some Hollywood scriptwriter do it for them. Allowing this follow up is a massive sell out of her part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't she write a sequel then? She's had her palm greased, plain and simple. To think otherwise is a bit naive, I reckon. The end of the book allows you to construct your own ideas about what happens, only f***ing dullards would demand some Hollywood scriptwriter do it for them. Allowing this follow up is a massive sell out of her part.

With all due respect that's a bit of a fundamentalist view. There have been a few instances the past that show an idea from a book can spark off a whole TV series without necessarily needing a new book to be written for each new instalment. M*A*S*H was a very good example, it shouldn't have gone on past about 6 seasons but it certainly warranted continuing after the book left off. Homicide: Life In The Street is another. I think what they're doing with Man In The High Castle is very good, and shouldn't be blamed for Philip K Dick not being the type to revisit the same characters even though he often revisited the same themes. Orange Is The New Black is another, and perhaps the best example is Justified. That was based on a short story, but someone else was inspired to expand that world into 6 seasons, and even inspired Elmore Leonard to start writing more stories for the character

With all due respect that's a bit of a fundamentalist view. There have been a few instances the past that show an idea from a book can spark off a whole TV series without necessarily needing a new book to be written for each new instalment. M*A*S*H was a very good example, it shouldn't have gone on past about 6 seasons but it certainly warranted continuing after the book left off. Homicide: Life In The Street is another. I think what they're doing with Man In The High Castle is very good, and shouldn't be blamed for Philip K Dick not being the type to revisit the same characters even though he often revisited the same themes. Orange Is The New Black is another, and perhaps the best example is Justified. That was based on a short story, but someone else was inspired to expand that world into 6 seasons, and even inspired Elmore Leonard to start writing more stories for the character
We'll just have to disagree. To me it's fantastic literature being dumbed down and drawn out.

Back