The Sunday Roast Thread

Ended up in The Forge after all. Nice little restaurant in Washington Village, very smart.

For starter the black pudding scotch egg served with remoulade and apple purée was absolutely superb.

Main I had the beef. "It's served pink is that alright?" the waitress asks. "Absolutely" says I. Bit of a wait for the main, but they were quite busy and I think everything was done fresh so didn't mind really. Beef indeed was served pink, and it was nice, though not as tasty as the Travellers Rest up Witton Gilbert. Same goes for the lamb - very nice, just not as nice. However, the creamed potato was top notch. Delicious, and very nicely complimented by the leeks in amongst the buttered greens which were very nice too. And the glazed carrots - best carrots I've had in ages. The roasties I have to say were a tad on the big and bland side. Menu said they were "thyme fat" roasties - well I didn't detect the thyme - or any seasoning at all for that matter. I'd suggest cutting them smaller, par boiling a tad longer, and getting some more salt and pepper in there with a bit more fat/oil. Ok, but not the best. Lovely big pudding, very tasty gravy. Top dinner overall, will be back. Noticed a nice looking fillet steak on a tripadvisor post so maybe try this place on another evening.

Nee draught beer though - bottles of Heineken or Peroni, I went with the latter. Neither are my favourite lager.

Too full for dessert anarl, even if I was intrigued by the brown ale cake. £11.50 for one course, £16 for two, £19 for the full shebang. Pretty reasonable I think.

A very steady 4.5/5 I think.

Ended up in The Forge after all. Nice little restaurant in Washington Village, very smart.

For starter the black pudding scotch egg served with remoulade and apple purée was absolutely superb.

Main I had the beef. "It's served pink is that alright?" the waitress asks. "Absolutely" says I. Bit of a wait for the main, but they were quite busy and I think everything was done fresh so didn't mind really. Beef indeed was served pink, and it was nice, though not as tasty as the Travellers Rest up Witton Gilbert. Same goes for the lamb - very nice, just not as nice. However, the creamed potato was top notch. Delicious, and very nicely complimented by the leeks in amongst the buttered greens which were very nice too. And the glazed carrots - best carrots I've had in ages. The roasties I have to say were a tad on the big and bland side. Menu said they were "thyme fat" roasties - well I didn't detect the thyme - or any seasoning at all for that matter. I'd suggest cutting them smaller, par boiling a tad longer, and getting some more salt and pepper in there with a bit more fat/oil. Ok, but not the best. Lovely big pudding, very tasty gravy. Top dinner overall, will be back. Noticed a nice looking fillet steak on a tripadvisor post so maybe try this place on another evening.

Nee draught beer though - bottles of Heineken or Peroni, I went with the latter. Neither are my favourite lager.

Too full for dessert anarl, even if I was intrigued by the brown ale cake. £11.50 for one course, £16 for two, £19 for the full shebang. Pretty reasonable I think.

A very steady 4.5/5 I think.
Is that what used to be the blacksmiths chebble?

Back