The Sunday Roast Thread

For those who enjoy a Sunday roast when out and about, review them here.

We've been to The Traveller's Rest in Witton Gilbert and have to say they serve a top notch Sunday dinner.

Between us thus far we've had for Starters:
Leek & Potato soup. Was alright, though I had an ungodly hangover, and I wasn't sure of the thyme in there.
The gammon fritters however, these are lush. Deep fried in breadcrumbs n served with a pineapple ketchup. Will be scranning these again.

The monkfish cheeks looked alright, I'm told they were lovely, but I wasn't up to sampling on that occasion

Mains:
Rump of beef, served pink. This is why I went. I wanted pink beef. I got it. It's tremendous. There's an option of slow roasted featherblade if you can't handle beef served pink, which I'm told is lovely too, but get the pink beef is where it's at.

Roast pork belly with crackling - wass, and lush. Crackling superb.

The lamb - melt in the mouth. Topper

Now, bit a discrepancy here, but the first week, the mash and the roasties were superb. Tasty as owt. The second week - hmmm not so much. Decent, but not on par with the previous week. Bit of turnover turmoil in the kitchen there, so need to keep an eye on that one.

Yorkshires - wass, exellent.

Cauliflower cheese - not me favourite thing in the world but here it's very good. And plenty of vegetables, cooked perfectly.

Sweets: the chocolate brownie is very good, the sticky toffee pudding has cinnamon in it - bit odd.

Overall: 4.75/5. It is that good (the tatey situation may require further observation). Get the rump of beef. It's pink and delicious.

We've been to The Traveller's Rest in Witton Gilbert and have to say they serve a top notch Sunday dinner.

Leek & Potato soup. Was alright, though I had an ungodly hangover, and I wasn't sure of the thyme in there.
The gammon fritters however, these are lush. Deep fried in breadcrumbs n served with a pineapple ketchup. Will be scranning these again.

The monkfish cheeks looked alright, I'm told they were lovely, but I wasn't up to sampling on that occasion

Mains:
Rump of beef, served pink. This is why I went. I wanted pink beef. I got it. It's tremendous. There's an option of slow roasted featherblade if you can't handle beef served pink, which I'm told is lovely too, but get the pink beef is where it's at.

Now, bit a discrepancy here, but the first week, the mash and the roasties were superb. Tasty as owt. The second week - hmmm not so much. Decent, but not on par with the previous week. Bit of turnover turmoil in the kitchen there, so need to keep an eye on that one.

Cauliflower cheese - not me favourite thing in the world but here it's very good. And plenty of vegetables, cooked perfectly.

Sweets: the chocolate brownie is very good, the sticky toffee pudding has cinnamon in it - bit odd.

Overall: 4.75/5. It is that good (the tatey situation may require further observation). Get the rump of beef. It's pink and delicious.

sounds good, what are the prices like?

I'm far too busy to be on here on a Sunday Jim. This can be a day of roasting reflection, and gives ample time to inspire next weekend's outing.

I'm not a food photographing lowlife.

Fair enough, I’m sure the excitement of the pink beef got to you

Could you add to the review, maybe the price, waiting time, decor of the pub, it’s general VIBE

Parking was ok aswell I assume

Mains:

Peter Martin likes this.

I'm far too busy to be on here on a Sunday Jim. This can be a day of roasting reflection, and gives ample time to inspire next weekend's outing.

I'm not a food photographing lowlife.
I like your style. Too busy on a weekend but plenty time when back at work. :lol:

Last edited:
Fair enough, I’m sure the excitement of the pink beef got to you

Could you add to the review, maybe the price, waiting time, decor of the pub, it’s general VIBE

Parking was ok aswell I assume
Ample parking. Nice decor. Waiting time was obviously longer than a poxy carvery but not too long. Starters arrived quite quickly.

The only other place I've been to that serves beef this good on a Sunday dinner was The Judge's Lodging in York. They don't serve mash there though the silly bastards so I have to say that this place has toppled them off their perch.

The Stables at Beamish advertise their Sunday dinners with a lovely looking cut of pink beef - when we went I had to send the bastard back as it was dry, wizened up at the edges, and owt but pink. This here though was the real deal Evander Holyfield. It's in this spirit I thought I'd start a thread - to inform and inspire.

Cauliflower cheese all wrong on Sunday lunch.

And what was the feckin gravy like, man?
It's in it's own bowl for serving so you can take it or leave it. I'm not bothered about it either to be honest.

Gravy's good.

Last edited:

Back