The Sunday Roast Thread

used to love reading his reviews.

People bang on about beef dripping for roasties but goose fat is just as good. I prefer Lamb fat. slow cook a full shoulder then do roast potatoes, carrots and parsnip in the fat

Agree this but prefer a beef joint myself - I also like to do my gravy in the same pan with a couple of star anise - gives the gravy a real depth...

I’ve just ordered a kofta lamb kebab and a chicken gyro. Half each. Got some haloumi as well. Wish it would hurry up I’m frigging famished.

I made a twist on Beef Wellington. 20oz rump steak topped with a mushroom and mustard cream, then rolled into a roulade with puff pastry and blind roast in a medium oven.

I then fried off some bacon, added dry onions then made the gravy with beef stock.

Served with roasties and stem broccoli.

For those who enjoy a Sunday roast when out and about, review them here.

We've been to The Traveller's Rest in Witton Gilbert and have to say they serve a top notch Sunday dinner.

Between us thus far we've had for Starters:
Leek & Potato soup. Was alright, though I had an ungodly hangover, and I wasn't sure of the thyme in there.
The gammon fritters however, these are lush. Deep fried in breadcrumbs n served with a pineapple ketchup. Will be scranning these again.

The monkfish cheeks looked alright, I'm told they were lovely, but I wasn't up to sampling on that occasion

Mains:
Rump of beef, served pink. This is why I went. I wanted pink beef. I got it. It's tremendous. There's an option of slow roasted featherblade if you can't handle beef served pink, which I'm told is lovely too, but get the pink beef is where it's at.

Roast pork belly with crackling - wass, and lush. Crackling superb.

The lamb - melt in the mouth. Topper

Now, bit a discrepancy here, but the first week, the mash and the roasties were superb. Tasty as owt. The second week - hmmm not so much. Decent, but not on par with the previous week. Bit of turnover turmoil in the kitchen there, so need to keep an eye on that one.

Yorkshires - wass, exellent.

Cauliflower cheese - not me favourite thing in the world but here it's very good. And plenty of vegetables, cooked perfectly.

Sweets: the chocolate brownie is very good, the sticky toffee pudding has cinnamon in it - bit odd.

Overall: 4.75/5. It is that good (the tatey situation may require further observation). Get the rump of beef. It's pink and delicious.

Was there a few weeks ago, top drawer Sunday dinner.

Was ok last time I was in but it’s canny bad how backwards it’s gone since the regular owners left. Service is abysmal whether you’re in for a drink or a meal.

Last time I went there was about 25 years ago when Mattie Roseberry owned it!! :)

used to love reading his reviews.

People bang on about beef dripping for roasties but goose fat is just as good. I prefer Lamb fat. slow cook a full shoulder then do roast potatoes, carrots and parsnip in the fat

I plumped for XXXXXXX and She Who Must Be Fed plumped for YYYYYYY.....:).

I know a lad who used to write Eddy Eats when his lass worked for the Sunday Sun.

I assume everyone knows that Eddy Eats isn't an actual person, right? It's a character filled by a succession of different reviewers.

Last edited:

Back