The Sunday Roast Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it piping hot and were the roasties full of potato?

Yep it was hot enough and the gravy was piping - although the pot was full and it may have just been replenished. Roasties were good also (2 varieties) and also tasted like 'roasties'.

It may be that we got lucky as we went a bit earlier than we might normally (4.30pm) however, it was pretty good and all four of us commented on the value.

For those who enjoy a Sunday roast when out and about, review them here.

We've been to The Traveller's Rest in Witton Gilbert and have to say they serve a top notch Sunday dinner.

Between us thus far we've had for Starters:
Leek & Potato soup. Was alright, though I had an ungodly hangover, and I wasn't sure of the thyme in there.
The gammon fritters however, these are lush. Deep fried in breadcrumbs n served with a pineapple ketchup. Will be scranning these again.

The monkfish cheeks looked alright, I'm told they were lovely, but I wasn't up to sampling on that occasion

Mains:
Rump of beef, served pink. This is why I went. I wanted pink beef. I got it. It's tremendous. There's an option of slow roasted featherblade if you can't handle beef served pink, which I'm told is lovely too, but get the pink beef is where it's at.

Roast pork belly with crackling - wass, and lush. Crackling superb.

The lamb - melt in the mouth. Topper

Now, bit a discrepancy here, but the first week, the mash and the roasties were superb. Tasty as owt. The second week - hmmm not so much. Decent, but not on par with the previous week. Bit of turnover turmoil in the kitchen there, so need to keep an eye on that one.

Yorkshires - wass, exellent.

Cauliflower cheese - not me favourite thing in the world but here it's very good. And plenty of vegetables, cooked perfectly.

Sweets: the chocolate brownie is very good, the sticky toffee pudding has cinnamon in it - bit odd.

Overall: 4.75/5. It is that good (the tatey situation may require further observation). Get the rump of beef. It's pink and delicious.

Best Sunday lunch I've had by far is The Ship Inn in Bridlington.. Not local like.

Yep it was hot enough and the gravy was piping - although the pot was full and it may have just been replenished. Roasties were good also (2 varieties) and also tasted like 'roasties'.

It may be that we got lucky as we went a bit earlier than we might normally (4.30pm) however, it was pretty good and all four of us commented on the value.

Two varieties of roasties ?

For those who enjoy a Sunday roast when out and about, review them here.

We've been to The Traveller's Rest in Witton Gilbert and have to say they serve a top notch Sunday dinner.

Between us thus far we've had for Starters:
Leek & Potato soup. Was alright, though I had an ungodly hangover, and I wasn't sure of the thyme in there.
The gammon fritters however, these are lush. Deep fried in breadcrumbs n served with a pineapple ketchup. Will be scranning these again.

The monkfish cheeks looked alright, I'm told they were lovely, but I wasn't up to sampling on that occasion

Mains:
Rump of beef, served pink. This is why I went. I wanted pink beef. I got it. It's tremendous. There's an option of slow roasted featherblade if you can't handle beef served pink, which I'm told is lovely too, but get the pink beef is where it's at.

Roast pork belly with crackling - wass, and lush. Crackling superb.

The lamb - melt in the mouth. Topper

Now, bit a discrepancy here, but the first week, the mash and the roasties were superb. Tasty as owt. The second week - hmmm not so much. Decent, but not on par with the previous week. Bit of turnover turmoil in the kitchen there, so need to keep an eye on that one.

Yorkshires - wass, exellent.

Cauliflower cheese - not me favourite thing in the world but here it's very good. And plenty of vegetables, cooked perfectly.

Sweets: the chocolate brownie is very good, the sticky toffee pudding has cinnamon in it - bit odd.

Overall: 4.75/5. It is that good (the tatey situation may require further observation). Get the rump of beef. It's pink and delicious.

Chef went there from the Garden House which used to be excellent for Sunday dinner but I haven’t been in since it changed.

Incidentally Lanchester Garden Centre does a cracking dinner if you’re that way on.

Chef went there from the Garden House which used to be excellent for Sunday dinner but I haven’t been in since it changed.

Incidentally Lanchester Garden Centre does a cracking dinner if you’re that way on.
This is correct. His excellent scotch eggs are on the regular menu.

Nailed on. Starter main and desert. Its a sunday dinner ffs.:lol:
I was hungover the week I had dessert.

That said, whilst the starters are quite substantial, they don't go overboard with the main. There's definitely plenty, but it's not a gut busting plateful of mash and roast taties swimming in a gallon of gravy like what folk gorge themselves on at the Toby.

There's always room for dessert if you turn up hungry enough.

Last edited:
This is correct. His excellent scotch eggs are on the regular menu.

I was hungover the week I had dessert.

That said, whilst the starters are quite substantial, they don't go overboard with the main. There's definitely plenty, but it's not a gut busting plateful of mash and roast taties swimming in a gallon of gravy like what folk gorge themselves on at the Toby.

There's always room for dessert if you turn up hungry enough.
Peter slipping you some coin like?

We had a walk up the Chilton Country Pub for Sunday lunch a few months ago and it was horrendous.

Service - slow as owt, even though there was only about 4 covers in.

Food - Frozen veg and frozen Yorkies in 2019? Minging. Also, as vegetarians we asked for veggie gravy. The first round of gravy was indeed veggie then I asked for some more and it was brought to us in a small jug. My wife poured it on her limp food then the waitress came running over to say sorry but she had brought beef gravy in error. We then got charged full price even though we didn't have meat on the plate and only got the same out of veg as the carnivoures. People knock the Toby Carverys but last time we were at the one in Washington (albeit a while ago) they only charged a fiver for vegetarians instead of £9.99 for a normal carvery. At the Toby you get a wass plate of fresh veg, copious amounts of roasties, huge Yorkies and lashing of veggie gravy for a fiver. Way better value than the Chilton Country Pub.

We had a walk up the Chilton Country Pub for Sunday lunch a few months ago and it was horrendous.

Service - slow as owt, even though there was only about 4 covers in.

Food - Frozen veg and frozen Yorkies in 2019? Minging. Also, as vegetarians we asked for veggie gravy. The first round of gravy was indeed veggie then I asked for some more and it was brought to us in a small jug. My wife poured it on her limp food then the waitress came running over to say sorry but she had brought beef gravy in error. We then got charged full price even though we didn't have meat on the plate and only got the same out of veg as the carnivoures. People knock the Toby Carverys but last time we were at the one in Washington (albeit a while ago) they only charged a fiver for vegetarians instead of £9.99 for a normal carvery. At the Toby you get a wass plate of fresh veg, copious amounts of roasties, huge Yorkies and lashing of veggie gravy for a fiver. Way better value than the Chilton Country Pub.
Was ok last time I was in but it’s canny bad how backwards it’s gone since the regular owners left. Service is abysmal whether you’re in for a drink or a meal.

Reactions: DJP
Two varieties of roasties ?

At Toby Carvery you can choose between vegetarian roasties or traditional ones cooked in dripping. Both are lovely. They also offer two sizes of Yorkshire’s big ones for the fatties and small ones for the weak ones who can’t eat a big Yorkshire.

Wolviston TobyCarvery is generally good but some people might feel threatened by the macaroni cheese on offer. It could blow their minds to see Macaroni cheese on a Sunday lunch!

Was at the lamp rooms seaham yesterday for the Sunday lunch tremendous 9/10.
Knocked a point off for the Yorkie, owa big, got sick a fighting with it.

Tried The Woodsman's Arms in Whickham about a month ago. Would not go back. Service was shite. Food was shite, especially the under cooked chicken. Avoid it like the plague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back