The stream that runs through Farringdon, Gilley Law, Silksworth etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It runs through Broadmeadows and Thornhill School, then reappears in Backhouse Park . Before disappears again.

Not necessarly, i am sure Sunderland was a secondary target, for the bombers going somewhere else. If for they couldnt hit the original target, they would drop the payload on Sunderland on the way back.
That wasn’t the case.
They were targeting the Sunderland shipyards, we built a quarter of the UK merchant tonnage in WW2 besides the warships we were building.
Those merchant ships were basically keeping us fed.

That wasn’t the case.
They were targeting the Sunderland shipyards, we built a quarter of the UK merchant tonnage in WW2 besides the warships we were building.

This. Sunderland was one of the most bombed places in the country and the most bombed place in the North East, of course the shipyards were a key target.
This is why the city was one of the first to twin with a German city following the war (with Essen).

Last edited:
Was only running through Backhouse Park at the weekend and there was barely a drop in the stream, first time I've noticed it that dry but tbf I don't get through that often. Also my Grandparents lived in Rutland Street in Pallion right at the bottom of dip years ago and when they had work done to the floor there was a running stream about six feet under the house, never had a problem with it and I assume it still there, when my Granda asked the builder about it he said running water is rarely a problem strangely, apparently there's loads of underground streams all over Sunderland.

Was only running through Backhouse Park at the weekend and there was barely a drop in the stream, first time I've noticed it that dry but tbf I don't get through that often. Also my Grandparents lived in Rutland Street in Pallion right at the bottom of dip years ago and when they had work done to the floor there was a running stream about six feet under the house, never had a problem with it and I assume it still there, when my Granda asked the builder about it he said running water is rarely a problem strangely, apparently there's loads of underground streams all over Sunderland.
I once said this to a girlfriend and questioned if my nightly love poems I wrote her, were slipping in standard?

Does it link into Herrington burn? It's possible looking at Google maps. That it aslo stems from lumley burn
In the north, substantial efforts were made against Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Sunderland, which were large ports on the English east coast. On 9 April 1941 Luftflotte 2 dropped 150 tons of high explosives and 50,000 incendiaries from 120 bombers in a five-hour attack. Sewer, rail, docklands, and electric installations were damaged. In Sunderland on 25 April, Luftflotte 2 sent 60 bombers which dropped 80 tons of high explosive and 9,000 incendiaries. Much damage was done.
I know Sunderland was a prime target, but we were also a 2nd target so that if pilo
In the north, substantial efforts were made against Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Sunderland, which were large ports on the English east coast. On 9 April 1941 Luftflotte 2 dropped 150 tons of high explosives and 50,000 incendiaries from 120 bombers in a five-hour attack. Sewer, rail, docklands, and electric installations were damaged. In Sunderland on 25 April, Luftflotte 2 sent 60 bombers which dropped 80 tons of high explosive and 9,000 incendiaries. Much damage was done.
I know Sunderland was an important target,
That wasn’t the case.
That wasn’t the case.
Perhaps i didnt word that correctly, i am well aware that Sunderland was a major target for the Germans, it was that important that it was a secondary target on bombing raids. So if the Germans could hit their orginal targets they used to drop them on Sunderland on the way back.
My Dads family were bombed out of Hood Street in Monkwearmouth, my nana used to tell me how they used to count the bombs dropped do they knew when they were safe.

f***ing hell, never knew they sent that many. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back