The stream that runs through Farringdon, Gilley Law, Silksworth etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
If you walk down towards Ryhope Dene from Burdon Village, past the farm on the left & as you come into the Dene, the bank to the left is an old Victorian rubbish tip, spent hours raking around there as a kid, used to find some amazing old bottles, clay pipes etc, had a bit of a collection going, probably all left in the shed when we moved from Doxy mid 80's.

That’s interesting. I pass by there on the bike quite regularly. I’ll take a closer look next time.

Same here. It must have still been in use in the 1930s as we found old perfume bottles shaped like the sports cars of the day.
Kids these days missing out on great fun, exploring miles from home, not a care in the world, fearless, how the world's changed 😕
That’s interesting. I pass by there on the bike quite regularly. I’ll take a closer look next time.
As you enter the Dene there used to be a signpost for Seaton Station, not been down there for years, wonder if it's still there? 🤔

Last edited:
I worked in a detached bungalow just down from St Nicholas church on queen Alex road and in the front garden they had a Hugh manhole cover, the owner said it was part of an unground stream that ran from near the Barnes pub to back house park.

If you walk down towards Ryhope Dene from Burdon Village, past the farm on the left & as you come into the Dene, the bank to the left is an old Victorian rubbish tip, spent hours raking around there as a kid, used to find some amazing old bottles, clay pipes etc, had a bit of a collection going, probably all left in the shed when we moved from Doxy mid 80's.

I fell in the stream at Doxford Park( in the grounds of the hall) , was quite wide & deep in places, luckily one of the bigger lads jumped in and dragged me out, we'd been raking about in the bushes on the edge looking for the rumoured water rats nest, I came through the bush straight in, not good for a 7 year old who couldn't swim 😕
Aye the rats nest that nobody ever saw.
You got older lads down there with air rifles looking for the rats. I never saw one I must admit but others said they were there. In any case I don't think the rats were stupid enough to leave the concrete pipe sections where they will have lived. Not when there was a load of idiots with guns stamping around outside. :lol:
Sorry mate but I read your first paragraph about the Victorian rubbish tip and thought, bloody hell, how old is he. :)

Last edited:

Fascinating to learn that. Been walking that way many times since we moved to Doxford Park, and very recently as my allowed outdoor exercise. Can't wait to have a good look at it next time I go by, cheers mate.

Aye the rats nest that nobody ever saw.
You got older lads down there with air rifles looking for the rats. I never saw one I must admit but others said they were there. In any case I don't think the rats were stupid enough to leave the concrete pipe sections where they will have lived. Not when there was a load of idiots with guns stamping around outside. :lol:
Sorry mate but I read your first paragraph about the Victorian rubbish tip and thought, bloody hell, how old is he. :)
Air rifles 😮 we were armed to the teeth with sticks, stones & fold away pocket pen knives , we would've ran a mile if we'd seen a big rat 😂
I was born in the 1960's not the 1860's 😂
Fascinating to learn that. Been walking that way many times since we moved to Doxford Park, and very recently as my allowed outdoor exercise. Can't wait to have a good look at it next time I go by, cheers mate.
Probably well overgrown by now but we'll worth a look 😉

Last edited:
The stream in Backhouse Park runs through the back garden of that big posh house opposite the Rosedene, the back end is a big nursing home I think.
It must run down the bank under Alexandra Road from the Barnes to come out there.
It runs through the park then goes under Ryhope Road just along from the Synagogue. At that stage it completely disappears under all the developments, that must have been the Hendon Burn.

Same here. It must have still been in use in the 1930s as we found old perfume bottles shaped like the sports cars of the day.
We used to mooch about there in the early 70's, we'd dig into the side of the stream for bottles and owt else we could find. It was fascinating reading the names on the bottles, I think if I found a sportscar shaped bottle I'd have been over the moon. Blue bottles shaped like a coffin are the ones to find, worth a mint they are now.

We used to mooch about there in the early 70's, we'd dig into the side of the stream for bottles and owt else we could find. It was fascinating reading the names on the bottles, I think if I found a sportscar shaped bottle I'd have been over the moon. Blue bottles shaped like a coffin are the ones to find, worth a mint they are now.
It was like a Bugatti or summat. God knows where it is now.
The stream in Backhouse Park runs through the back garden of that big posh house opposite the Rosedene, the back end is a big nursing home I think.
It must run down the bank under Alexandra Road from the Barnes to come out there.
It runs through the park then goes under Ryhope Road just along from the Synagogue. At that stage it completely disappears under all the developments, that must have been the Hendon Burn.
It's probably the one under Tunstall Vale/Thornhill, that looks like it comes from the Barnes on Google Earth.

Last edited:
If you look at the old maps, it runs from the Barnes down under Thornhill then comes back along the edge of Ashbrook sports ground, under what is now St Aidens school before going into Backhouse.

from what i can remember about the stream( 45yrs ago) it started the other side of the road from doxford park then ended at the edge of gilley law ( ended meaning as far as you could physically follow it) it ran into a concrete sewer type pipe with metal railings on to stop kids i.e me at the time going in to follow it ,to me this stream would have ran underneath the skyscrapers so gilley law section was always underground.

There was a time before the metal railings appeared. We used to go all the way through it under Gilley Law when I was a kid. Late 70s iirc

There was a time before the metal railings appeared. We used to go all the way through it under Gilley Law when I was a kid. Late 70s iirc
:lol: Did you go all the way ?
I lived there till 77 (would have been 10 when we moved), I/we got about 50 yards before bottling it :lol:

I fell in the stream at Doxford Park( in the grounds of the hall) , was quite wide & deep in places, luckily one of the bigger lads jumped in and dragged me out, we'd been raking about in the bushes on the edge looking for the rumoured water rats nest, I came through the bush straight in, not good for a 7 year old who couldn't swim 😕
My word, there is a blast to the past. Me and my mates as kids, used to go there and dig for bottles.
We used to go into the tunnel that feeds the stream leading into Backhouse Park, railings were always on the far end, leading into the apple orchard, in the Manor House grounds, next to St Aidans school. Railings eventually went up on the Backhouse Park side.
I've always wondered where the stream in Backhouse Park comes from after the Apple orchard. It must go underground a for long way, as there is no sign of it after the apple orchard? The nearest I can see of any stream that may feed Backhouse Park stream, is the one at the bottom of Premier Road, that comes from Silksworth Lake?

Last edited:
You can follow it from Doxford Park on this flood map, looks like we were all correct.
Reset the sea level to plus 10 or 20 metres and zoom in.
Just been talking to my Dad about the bottles. He says when they were younguns they'd spend all day over there smashing bottles by the hundred. :lol:
The nearest I can see of any stream that may feed Backhouse Park stream, is the one at the bottom of Premier Road, that comes from Silksworth Lake?
It's all the same stream mate. From Doxy Park, Gilley Law, the lakes, Premier Road, Silksworth lane, The Barnes, Thornhill field, Ashbrooke, the Doctor's House opposite the Rosedene then into Backhouse Park towards the sea under Hendon.

Last edited:

Back