The stream that runs through Farringdon, Gilley Law, Silksworth etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 27897

Does anyone know anything about this? or its proper name?

Having always associated it with filling the lakes at the Ski Slope, I originally assumed it was some sort of man made canal, but I am undecided as to whether it is natural or not. Looking at old maps of the area, it's at least 160 years old.

Its initial course emerged at Tunstall lodge around Doxford park, run northeast through the city and came out to the sea at around Hendon. Inevitably, a great deal of it has been built over and concealed obviously and it largely disappears around modern Tunstall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Having always associated it with filling the lakes at the Ski Slope, I originally assumed it was some sort of man made canal, but I am undecided as to whether it is natural or not. Looking at old maps of the area, it's at least 160 years old.

Its initial course emerged at Tunstall lodge around Doxford park, run northeast through the city and came out to the sea at around Hendon. Inevitably, a great deal of it has been built over and concealed obviously and it largely disappears around modern Tunstall.
Living in Doxy before the old shopping centre that was opened by President Jimmy Carter, used to play around the area , we had a tree we used to climb we knicknamed king curly because it was a funny shape, the stream emerged next to it & ran down to Doxford Park, the actual park, then through Gilley Law, location of of the stream starting would be at the back road into the old shopping centre which has now been redeveloped, but on on Google maps it's Woodland Rise, can't recall anything before that as everything over the road before the stream was uphill, but it probably took from the fields that became Chapel Garth & Eastern Moorside.

There used to be one old mapping service which provided an overlay of the old map and new, so you could readily identify common points, but I’m struggling to find it. If you look on the 1856 map and a modern OS, there are a few stand out common landmarks, such as Sourmilk hill and the railway line. Back when I had access to the overlay maps, Chapelgarth Well is located very near the big green gates in Morrisons car park, so there is a notional coordination.

There is quite a big building near Silksworth Moor and due West there is a spring under what is today Moorside and runs in the direction of Doxford Park.

Going back to Chapelgarth Well, there is a footbridge noted over the entrance to a pond, which is now the water features William Doxford built in Doxford park. It appears there are two tributaries which join slightly south of here, the one is as above and another coming from Sourmilk Hill, which is the one you mention.

Last edited:
It goes down to Barnes pub then across to Barbara Priestman, Thornhill School, Ashbrooke, (maybe Tunstall Vale as Vale hints at stream in a valley) St Aidens then into Backhouse Park and becomes Hendon Burn then through Hendon to Sea. I'm assuming Hendon Burn Road and the old Hendon Burn Station were where it went through. The other stream through Barnes Park went down through the Green at Eden Vale and then through the terraces and under Mayfair Buildings into Burn Park. Used to be a windmill close to it near Mayfair Garage and the railway embankment

It goes down to Barnes pub then across to Barbara Priestman, Thornhill School, Ashbrooke, (maybe Tunstall Vale as Vale hints at stream in a valley) St Aidens then into Backhouse Park and becomes Hendon Burn then through Hendon to Sea. I'm assuming Hendon Burn Road and the old Hendon Burn Station were where it went through. The other stream through Barnes Park went down through the Green at Eden Vale and then through the terraces and under Mayfair Buildings into Burn Park. Used to be a windmill close to it near Mayfair Garage and the railway embankment
I think the Barnes park stream would begin Hastings Hill / Sandhills area and run all the way through the parks

The stream was very likely or very rarely above ground until development in the 1800s saw lots of buildings etc spring up around this area. As a result, the water table became much higher and ‘new’ streams or brooks, emerged.

I don't know what it's called but in the 70's I released 3 Golden Orf into the stream at Doxford Park because I was getting rid of my fish tank and no one wanted them. As it doesn't seem to have a name I think I'll name it the River Orfe. :D

I think the Barnes park stream would begin Hastings Hill / Sandhills area and run all the way through the parks

Don’t know of a name for it, it originates at the top of what we know as Blakeney woods and is a natural watercourse,

Side by side georeferenced maps viewer - Map images - National Library of Scotland

runs pretty much as the lad I quoted says, slide the map above with your mouse to follow it

Absolute madness to build where the barnes culvert starts mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back