The stream that runs through Farringdon, Gilley Law, Silksworth etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
You can follow it from Doxford Park on this flood map, looks like we were all correct.
Reset the sea level to plus 10 or 20 metres and zoom in.

Just been talking to my Dad about the bottles. He says when they were younguns they'd spend all day over there smashing bottles by the hundred. :lol:
It's all the same stream mate. From Doxy Park, Gilley Law, the lakes, Premier Road, Silksworth lane, The Barnes, Thornhill field, Ashbrooke, the Doctor's House opposite the Rosedene then into Backhouse Park towards the sea under Hendon.
I thought it may be the same stream. Me and a mate once dove in Backhouse Park stream when it was flooded, while walking back home after clubbing. A few days later I got a jaw infection that was pain like nowt else. Went to the doctors but did not dare tell him that I may have got it from swimming in Backhouse Park stream while pissed at 3 in the morning. :lol:

I thought it may be the same stream. Me and a mate once dove in Backhouse Park stream when it was flooded, while walking back home after clubbing. A few days later I got a jaw infection that was pain like nowt else. Went to the doctors but did not dare tell him that I may have got it from swimming in Backhouse Park stream while pissed at 3 in the morning. :lol:
😂

It's the Burn not Beck that's why there is Burn Park and Burn Park Methodist Church.

Beck is a smoggy word being part of viking Danelaw. The stream starts around 5 minutes walk from my house.
Not correct I'm afraid. The Burn that runs down Eden Vale/Burn Park way comes from Barnes Park and the extensions and from up Sandhills way.
The one from Doxford Park hits Silksworth, the Barnes, Thornhill, Ashbrooke and then Hendon. As per my earlier post it is known by various names stream, beck and burn but it is definitely known as the beck along Silksworth Lane.

I walked through the park today, and it brought back some wonderful childhood memories.
Though the bit through the actual park surely can’t be natural, as it was empty and you could see the smooth concrete base.
Is this Doxford Park? The section from the back of Morrison’s to the culvert at Silksworth Rd. is man made, but only in the sense an existing stream bed have been altered. Hence the rock pools and waterfalls. And yes, it’s concrete.

Is this Doxford Park? The section from the back of Morrison’s to the culvert at Silksworth Rd. is man made, but only in the sense an existing stream bed have been altered. Hence the rock pools and waterfalls. And yes, it’s concrete.

Yes mate, that’s what I meant. Any idea at what point they done this, and added the bridges, etc...?
I’d assume it used to just be a mud bed stream many moons ago.

I genuinely love the place. It used to be a pure adventure exploring it as a youngun. Alas, my 10 year old didn’t appear to amazed by it.

:lol: Did you go all the way ?
I lived there till 77 (would have been 10 when we moved), I/we got about 50 yards before bottling it :lol:

Aye, with nee torch neither. Came out just the other side of Manor lane(?)
Was before the ski slope obviously. I remember the old funnel shaped ruin before it was done up.
I lived there 76-79 ish then moved to Hetton. Didn't realise I'd be running round those fields in 2 foot of snow courtesy of Braithwaite when I moved to Farra in about 83.

Yes mate, that’s what I meant. Any idea at what point they done this, and added the bridges, etc...?

I genuinely love the place. It used to be a pure adventure exploring it as a youngun. Alas, my 10 year old didn’t appear to amazed by it.

I presume it will have been by one of the Doxfords as the park was once gardens for Doxford house.

I walked through the park today, and it brought back some wonderful childhood memories.
Though the bit through the actual park surely can’t be natural, as it was empty and you could see the smooth concrete base.
It's empty as some daft twat pulled the plugs and drained it, may have been the council as a fair few kids took a plunge in it. You'll have to look for them but there's a few round holes, used big steel balls on a chain as a plug.
There must still be a water course underneath the man made concrete bed?🤔

The boards in the park tell you I think. I would guess mebbes mid 1800s.

It's empty as some daft twat pulled the plugs and drained it, may have been the council as a fair few kids took a plunge in it. You'll have to look for them but there's a few round holes, used big steel balls on a chain as a plug.
There must still be a water course underneath the man made concrete bed?🤔
I remember when someone pulled the plug at Gillylaw lake and all the water was lost along with fish and ducks :lol:
Coincidentally come across a document from the Council which designates its official name as "Hendon Burn". This map depicts all the smaller rivers in Sunderland and their routes.

@ISOE I'm never wrong ;) :lol:

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about this? or its proper name?

Having always associated it with filling the lakes at the Ski Slope, I originally assumed it was some sort of man made canal, but I am undecided as to whether it is natural or not. Looking at old maps of the area, it's at least 160 years old.

Its initial course emerged at Tunstall lodge around Doxford park, run northeast through the city and came out to the sea at around Hendon. Inevitably, a great deal of it has been built over and concealed obviously and it largely disappears around modern Tunstall.
It runs through Broadmeadows and Thornhill School, then reappears in Backhouse Park . Before disappears again.
they used to fly up the coast and turn left after they sighted the 2 chimneys at the paper mill aiming for the docks,looks like the pilot turned left too quick
Not necessarly, i am sure Sunderland was a secondary target, for the bombers going somewhere else. If for they couldnt hit the original target, they would drop the payload on Sunderland on the way back.

Last edited:
I remember when someone pulled the plug at Gillylaw lake and all the water was lost along with fish and ducks :lol:

@ISOE I'm never wrong ;) :lol:
You aren't and neither am I. I said - early in this thread - it has various names in various places. Beck at Silky Lane, Stream at the back of Thornhill/Barara Priestman (also in Backy Park) and as the Burn in Back Park onwards.

It runs through Broadmeadows and Thornhill School, then reappears in Backhouse Park . Before disappears again.

Not necessarly, i am sure Sunderland was a secondary target, for the bombers going somewhere else. If for they couldnt hit the original target, they would drop the payload on Sunderland on the way back.

In the north, substantial efforts were made against Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Sunderland, which were large ports on the English east coast. On 9 April 1941 Luftflotte 2 dropped 150 tons of high explosives and 50,000 incendiaries from 120 bombers in a five-hour attack. Sewer, rail, docklands, and electric installations were damaged. In Sunderland on 25 April, Luftflotte 2 sent 60 bombers which dropped 80 tons of high explosive and 9,000 incendiaries. Much damage was done.

Shipyards pit n docks.

In all my years as a young un knocking about there I’ve never heard of anyone who swam in Backhouse Park stream!
Fuckin brilliant! :lol:

I think the Barnes park stream would begin Hastings Hill / Sandhills area and run all the way through the parks
I lived down that way for years and we saw loads of frogs and ducks out the front. An old bloke I knew that worked on building that stretch told me they were used to the old stream running that way.

In all my years as a young un knocking about there I’ve never heard of anyone who swam in Backhouse Park stream!
Fuckin brilliant! :lol:
Aye, it was flooded to fuck, spilling over the bank, we were pissed, so thought 'Why not have a swim' and I just ran and dived in, fully clothed. It was quite enjoyable. :lol:

Back