The stream that runs through Farringdon, Gilley Law, Silksworth etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theres another stream that runs from Sharpley (I might be wrong) through Burdon then onto Cherry Knowles then out into the Sea at Ryhope dene
The beck.
I tried to jump the fucker when pissed one NYE cutting across the fields trying to get back to Silky in time for midnight. Of course I didn't make it and slipped down the muddy bank - fully on belly flop style. I was f***ing manky.
I made the mistake of walking over the Hope pissed to get home one New Year. :eek:
Hendon Valley was also built over. Another burn now buried.
I used to live right next to the stream on the edge of Thornhill School field. It's covered over now but connects to/or is a covered stream beside the Cricket club. If you head away from the shop next to Ashbrooke Sports Club down Tunstall vale to Tunstall Road there used to be a gap in the terraces either side. The left hand one is still there but the right hand one has recently been built on with a 5 year old's crayon drawing attempt at house design. I was told by an old, retired, ex-teacher who had lived around there since the 1930s that it wasn't bomb damage as I'd always assumed but that the gaps were to accommodate the hidden stream that would block up and flood very occasionally. Knowing that, if you check the landscape it's obvious as it's right at the bottom of at least 3 sizable hills. When the new gaff gets flooded, as it assuredly will, at least it won't cost to much to put right. :lol:
Hendon Valley was also built over. Another burn now buried.
There's an old painting I've seen of the Hendon Burn/Hendon Valley in the early 1800s. Obviously before almost any of the housing. I've tried to place it several times with what's there now and I'm still not sure.
I think it's the stream from Backhouse Park towards the coast, think of it like one of the denes from further south, Ryhope, Seaham, Hawthorn or Castle Eden.
Looks like my dating was out.
https://images.app.tracking code removed/ctoCwDS5X2DM6YtX7

Last edited:
The beck.

I made the mistake of walking over the Hope pissed to get home one New Year. :eek:

I used to live right next to the stream on the edge of Thornhill School field. It's covered over now but connects to/or is a covered stream beside the Cricket club. If you head away from the shop next to Ashbrooke Sports Club down Tunstall vale to Tunstall Road there used to be a gap in the terraces either side. The left hand one is still there but the right hand one has recently been built on with a 5 year old's crayon drawing attempt at house design. I was told by an old, retired, ex-teacher who had lived around there since the 1930s that it wasn't bomb damage as I'd always assumed but that the gaps were to accommodate the hidden stream that would block up and flood very occasionally. Knowing that, if you check the landscape it's obvious as it's right at the bottom of at least 3 sizable hills. When the new gaff gets flooded, as it assuredly will, at least it won't cost to much to put right. :lol:

There's an old painting I've seen of the Hendon Burn/Hendon Valley in the early 1800s. Obviously before almost any of the housing. I've tried to place it several times with what's there now and I'm still not sure.
I think it's the stream from Backhouse Park towards the coast, think of it like one of the denes from further south, Ryhope, Seaham, Hawthorn or Castle Eden.
Think the picture was called Valley of Love?

This is a picture on FB from c.50s but I don't know how to post.

It’s the beck man!

Interesting, apparently that term for a stream is of Viking origin:

So enough of the burns, what about the becks? Well, the word ‘beck’ comes from the Old Norse ‘bekkr’ – ‘a stream’. It is the usual term for a stream in Viking settled Cumbria and Yorkshire but is missing from Northumberland where burn is used. In County Durham we get both becks and burns with burns in the north and becks in the south and the boundary between the two lies somewhere around Durham City and mid Weardale.

Used to be able to crawl right under at barber priestmans, always wanted to keep going to see if it would come out at the barnes. The barnes had a big massive underground tunnel

The beck.

Is this house on the Road or Vale? Trying to identify the spot.

Tunstall Vale.
Think I know which one you mean. It looks as if this house is opposite a gap in the houses on the other side of the street which has now a wall and vegetation growing over the top.

Never knew that was left on purpose, always assumed it was bomb damage.
Interesting.

Thanks.
I thought you were talking about those flats at 1st. And they were definitely from bomb damage. But checked on street view there and that's quite a queer little house that's been shoe horned in. When was it built?
Think about 15 years ago?

I thought you were talking about those flats at 1st. And they were definitely from bomb damage. But checked on street view there and that's quite a queer little house that's been shoe horned in. When was it built?
It's been there about 10-12 years max I think. The new town houses were bomb damage, if you look on Google Earth you can see the damage caused by what looks like a stick of bombs, including one on Tunstall Road.
I've done an annotated screenshot to show you but I hate this new software for posting pics. I'm sure it changes from day to day. :lol:

It's been there about 10-12 years max I think. The new town houses were bomb damage, if you look on Google Earth you can see the damage caused by what looks like a stick of bombs, including one on Tunstall Road.
I've done an annotated screenshot to show you but I hate this new software for posting pics. I'm sure it changes from day to day. :lol:
I can't see your picture. But I remember someone on one of the Sunderland groups on Facebook had superimposed a picture of the bomb damaged terrace with those more modern buildings.

Canny that, gives an idea of the destruction anyway.
There's one on the other side of the terrace as well, plus the more modern built guest house on Tunstall Road lines up with them as well.
What photo hosting site did you use?
I didn't mate that's linked from google images.

I used to use photobucket but been getting email off them saying I can't use it any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back