The stream that runs through Farringdon, Gilley Law, Silksworth etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Large sections have been culverted and built over with residential housing. Gilley Law section is completely underground now.
from what i can remember about the stream( 45yrs ago) it started the other side of the road from doxford park then ended at the edge of gilley law ( ended meaning as far as you could physically follow it) it ran into a concrete sewer type pipe with metal railings on to stop kids i.e me at the time going in to follow it ,to me this stream would have ran underneath the skyscrapers so gilley law section was always underground.

Is there a website showing bomb damage elsewhere? Ta.
There are loads of photos if you Google them, I think there may be a link among them to a map.
Ah aye interesting stuff. Definitely looks like the bombers trajectory has passed over that way dropping some payload. But searching google it doesn't mention the building at Tunstall road being hit. Just the Vale.
I know, I lived about 100 yards away for ages. I've asked a load of local old people over the years about it and a lot seemed to think/remember it being at the same time. The distance and line are almost perfect. There's a big car park over the back of it as well so any more would have landed there.

Last edited:
Living in Doxy before the old shopping centre that was opened by President Jimmy Carter, used to play around the area , we had a tree we used to climb we knicknamed king curly because it was a funny shape, the stream emerged next to it & ran down to Doxford Park, the actual park, then through Gilley Law, location of of the stream starting would be at the back road into the old shopping centre which has now been redeveloped, but on on Google maps it's Woodland Rise, can't recall anything before that as everything over the road before the stream was uphill, but it probably took from the fields that became Chapel Garth & Eastern Moorside.
The King Curly. That takes me back.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about this? or its proper name?

Having always associated it with filling the lakes at the Ski Slope, I originally assumed it was some sort of man made canal, but I am undecided as to whether it is natural or not. Looking at old maps of the area, it's at least 160 years old.

Its initial course emerged at Tunstall lodge around Doxford park, run northeast through the city and came out to the sea at around Hendon. Inevitably, a great deal of it has been built over and concealed obviously and it largely disappears around modern Tunstall.
The lake or pond at the ski slope was originally a pit pond where they pumped water from the mines. The stream is formed from water draining from the higher grounds of. Warden law and isn't man made. When I was a kid I played around the stream where it emerged from Doxford park and headed down to Gilley law. The pit pond I mentioned some of the kids used to climb the fence to mess about in and around the water. We called it the acre for some reason but I kept well clear. I'd heard some horror stories about kids drowning so I never climbed the fence.

Aye, older maps describe it as "Ryhope burn" or something I think.
If you walk down towards Ryhope Dene from Burdon Village, past the farm on the left & as you come into the Dene, the bank to the left is an old Victorian rubbish tip, spent hours raking around there as a kid, used to find some amazing old bottles, clay pipes etc, had a bit of a collection going, probably all left in the shed when we moved from Doxy mid 80's.
The lake or pond at the ski slope was originally a pit pond where they pumped water from the mines. The stream is formed from water draining from the higher grounds of. Warden law and isn't man made. When I was a kid I played around the stream where it emerged from Doxford park and headed down to Gilley law. The pit pond I mentioned some of the kids used to climb the fence to mess about in and around the water. We called it the acre for some reason but I kept well clear. I'd heard some horror stories about kids drowning so I never climbed the fence.
I fell in the stream at Doxford Park( in the grounds of the hall) , was quite wide & deep in places, luckily one of the bigger lads jumped in and dragged me out, we'd been raking about in the bushes on the edge looking for the rumoured water rats nest, I came through the bush straight in, not good for a 7 year old who couldn't swim 😕

Last edited:
If you walk down towards Ryhope Dene from Burdon Village, past the farm on the left & as you come into the Dene, the bank to the left is an old Victorian rubbish tip, spent hours raking around there as a kid, used to find some amazing old bottles, clay pipes etc, had a bit of a collection going, probably all left in the shed when we moved from Doxy mid 80's.

I fell in the stream at Doxford Park( in the grounds of the hall) , was quite wide & deep in places, luckily one of the bigger lads jumped in and dragged me out, we'd been raking about in the bushes on the edge looking for the rumoured water rats nest, I came through the bush straight in, not good for a 7 year old who couldn't swim 😕
Same here. It must have still been in use in the 1930s as we found old perfume bottles shaped like the sports cars of the day.

Back