The Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if I have already posted this. Was at a cup final this evening and had some refreshments.

For me the genius of The Office was the subtle bits. Three examples:

1. Dawn storms off when Lee suggests she might "get the milkers out..." one of the warehouse lads warns Lee that he'll now get nowt and he replies "That's alright I've got cable" while holding a mug of tea. It's the sniff he does straight after. I don't know if it was scripted, in which case enormous credit to Merchant (especially, I think) and Gervais. Or maybe it came from the actor which would be even better.

2. On the Training episode. When Brent is playing the guitar and the trainer is sat there, arms folded. At the end of his set the trainer says "Right! That's lunch!" and Brent had to play one last strum on his guitar as if that's him giving his consent that they can go to lunch.

3. On one of the talking heads interviews with Brent he's spouting his usual shite. He stops talking, swings his eyes to the camera and then back. It is a brilliant comic gesture. Simple, funny, effective.

An outstanding work of television comedy. Never mind Fawlty Towers, the U.K. Series of The Office is on a pedestal alongside Laurel and Harry's best work.

The American one is set for a return, according to a few websites.

Really hope so; I'm up to Season 8 for the second time; absolutely love this show.

Will only be worth watching if Steve Carell returns..

They are making a new one?!?!!

How have I not heard of this love the US Office brilliant, thought it ended well though with the wedding.

The American one is set for a return, according to a few websites.

Really hope so; I'm up to Season 8 for the second time; absolutely love this show.

I've watched it all about 3 times over like, brilliant show

Forgive me if I have already posted this. Was at a cup final this evening and had some refreshments.

For me the genius of The Office was the subtle bits. Three examples:

1. Dawn storms off when Lee suggests she might "get the milkers out..." one of the warehouse lads warns Lee that he'll now get nowt and he replies "That's alright I've got cable" while holding a mug of tea. It's the sniff he does straight after. I don't know if it was scripted, in which case enormous credit to Merchant (especially, I think) and Gervais. Or maybe it came from the actor which would be even better.

2. On the Training episode. When Brent is playing the guitar and the trainer is sat there, arms folded. At the end of his set the trainer says "Right! That's lunch!" and Brent had to play one last strum on his guitar as if that's him giving his consent that they can go to lunch.

3. On one of the talking heads interviews with Brent he's spouting his usual shite. He stops talking, swings his eyes to the camera and then back. It is a brilliant comic gesture. Simple, funny, effective.

An outstanding work of television comedy. Never mind Fawlty Towers, the U.K. Series of The Office is on a pedestal alongside Laurel and Harry's best work.

This is what makes The Office for me.. The little subtle bits are brilliant. Brent's little looks at the camera are genius. I love The Office and its a shame that him and Merchant no longer work together.

The UK Office is almost perfect IMO and just about my favourite comedy. However once you get past the first series of the US Office and it comes into its own I thought it was excellent.
* The opening scene on the US Firedrill episode is hilarious!

When Creed arrives for work in a bloodstained shirt, not knowing it’s murder-mystery day.

Michael tells him he’s the prime suspect for the murder and he runs out of the office, to the car park and drives off

:lol:
One of my all time favourite scenes :lol:

Michael doing the southern accent makes it :lol:

"I do declare" :lol:

Also here's another favourite Creed scene

Last edited:
The UK Office is almost perfect IMO and just about my favourite comedy. However once you get past the first series of the US Office and it comes into its own I thought it was excellent.
* The opening scene on the US Firedrill episode is hilarious!

Yea that's the one like the first series tried too much to be like the UK one and that never works...

Same as US Shameless the first season tried too much to be like the UK and it was shite but then it grew into its own and its really good.

This is what makes The Office for me.. The little subtle bits are brilliant. Brent's little looks at the camera are genius. I love The Office and its a shame that him and Merchant no longer work together.

Have you seen his new film?
The one where Brent is on tour with his band?

Canny funny like... Soar like an Eagle, sit like a Pelican :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back