The Northern Spire Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, they decided the process but they didn't pick the name. The panel was made up of a diverse bunch of journalists, sunderland notaries and artsy fartsy people....they chose the names, not the council. If the council had sent them back to come up with something else it rather defeats the purpose and is in fact the council choosing the name.

The popular narrative amongs the pissy pants terminal moaners is that it's all the councils fault, completely ignoring that the big achievement is a fantastic bridge which will unlock land for development and massively improve transport links
I'm a big fan of what the council are doing, but they shouldn't have even let it get to a vote man. Just name it. This thread alone has 10s of better choices. That being said Moshpit is still a knacker.

In other words they spun off the responsibility to a "safe" subcommittee of their choosing which provided these names subject to approval allowing 1.6% of the population to vote for the best of the three.

WDSC can then say it was the people's choice.

Democracy in action right there

Do you reckon Jimmy Montgomery is on the take marra? :lol::lol:

I'm a big fan of what the council are doing, but they shouldn't have even let it get to a vote man. Just name it. This thread alone has 10s of better choices. That being said Moshpit is still a knacker.
I agree that it's a shit name but I think the council has tried to do the right thing by getting a cross section of people to come to a consensus. Unfortunately they seem to have found a cross section of fuckwits. Having said that, more than 5000 took the time to vote for Northern Spire. It makes you scared to walk the streets

Who mentioned being on the take? :confused:
:lol:

I agree that it's a shit name but I think the council has tried to do the right thing by getting a cross section of people to come to a consensus. Unfortunately they seem to have found a cross section of fuckwits. Having said that, more than 5000 took the time to vote for Northern Spire. It makes you scared to walk the streets

:lol:
JSB mate.

from the echo site --------

More than 10,000 votes were cast, with Northern Spire receiving almost half of them.The votes were as follows:

Northern Spire 49%
Lumen Point 34%
The Prism 17%

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-...nveiled-for-sunderland-s-new-bridge-1-8891437

out of a population of how many? tells you it all really, shite names, a public vote would have been better, aye ok Bridgey McBridgeFace would have came out but i reckon a hundred better names would have than the 3 chosen, nowt said about coal mining or ship building.......

For all those begging to call it the Joseph Swan Bridge (at least 50% who I suspect would have complained had the council thought of that), are you aware of the other Swan Bridges in the world? Including quite a famous one in Australia.

I also wonder how many people ever think about Queen Alexandra when crossing the bridge named after her or could give me a single fact about her without the aid of Google.

For all those begging to call it the Joseph Swan Bridge (at least 50% who I suspect would have complained had the council thought of that), are you aware of the other Swan Bridges in the world? Including quite a famous one in Australia.

I also wonder how many people ever think about Queen Alexandra when crossing the bridge named after her or could give me a single fact about her without the aid of Google.

Little known fact about Queen Alexandra, she had a bridge named after her in Sunderland.

What

what would you call it.serious question.Getting to big for your boots you are mind.Bone headed cretin? Who the fuck do you think you are? The 3 choices were picked by a panel which had fuck all to do with the council.The Spire was chosen as a link to st Peters church, the first church to have stain glass Windows.Glass obviously having a strong link to the city.

In that case why not call it The St Peter's Bridge? I would never have made the connection you suggest, mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back