The Northern Spire Bridge

For all those begging to call it the Joseph Swan Bridge (at least 50% who I suspect would have complained had the council thought of that), are you aware of the other Swan Bridges in the world? Including quite a famous one in Australia.

I also wonder how many people ever think about Queen Alexandra when crossing the bridge named after her or could give me a single fact about her without the aid of Google.
She was a little shit.

Fuck me, my mistake, it's closer to 1.6% that voted for this ridiculously pretentious name. Some endorsememt that mind....the general public were so obviously enthused and captivated by the choices on offer :oops:

WAW

How utterly predictable :D:D:D:D

Its was closer to 4% that actually voted. Quadruple your claim. Carry on having a meltdown over your exaggerated version of life.

Drove past it this morning could and couldn't hardly remember what it was called.

I don't mind it. It's memorable and you'll get used to it within a couple of years like you have with the Queen Alexandra Bridge.

Would've preferred Joseph Swan Bridge, but there you go.
The Queen Alexandra bridge was there before we were all born so we didn't really have to get used to it.
I didn't like stadium of light as a name for the new ground but got used to it pretty quickly, ditto the new badge design. I'd have liked a name for the bridge that was synonymous with sunderland or its heritage. Even the Sunderland spire or rhe Wearside spire would have been better but we're stuck with Northern. It'll get called the spire by locals anyway so not much harm done.

True, they decided the process but they didn't pick the name. The panel was made up of a diverse bunch of journalists, sunderland notaries and artsy fartsy people....they chose the names, not the council. If the council had sent them back to come up with something else it rather defeats the purpose and is in fact the council choosing the name.

The popular narrative amongs the pissy pants terminal moaners is that it's all the councils fault, completely ignoring that the big achievement is a fantastic bridge which will unlock land for development and massively improve transport links
You missed my point i was criticising the name. It is a poor choice and any link to Wearside is tenuous. It was a missed opportunity to publicise Sunderlands rich industrial heritage or other parts of its history. It was obvious the three names were unpopular they didnt have to be taken forward but the Council didnt want to lose face. There should have been a none of the above option in the poll imo.
The bridge itself is superb i have said for ages as a country we dont spend enough on infrastructure. It is exactly the sort of project the government should be encouraging if they want productivity to improve.

Clatchey Bridge would have been better.

Can't believe they've called the Fuck Off Newcastle Bridge that like.

One In The Eye For The Sandies Bridge maybe ?

The Queen Alexandra bridge was there before we were all born so we didn't really have to get used to it.
I didn't like stadium of light as a name for the new ground but got used to it pretty quickly, ditto the new badge design. I'd have liked a name for the bridge that was synonymous with sunderland or its heritage. Even the Sunderland spire or rhe Wearside spire would have been better but we're stuck with Northern. It'll get called the spire by locals anyway so not much harm done.

Interesting fact. Although the QEB was a "Viaduct" by the usual definition, the North Eastern Railway who built it and paid two thirds of the cost only ever referred to "bridges" so like the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick it was only called a Bridge.

Last edited:
You missed my point i was criticising the name. It is a poor choice and any link to Wearside is tenuous. It was a missed opportunity to publicise Sunderlands rich industrial heritage or other parts of its history. It was obvious the three names were unpopular they didnt have to be taken forward but the Council didnt want to lose face. There should have been a none of the above option in the poll imo.
The bridge itself is superb i have said for ages as a country we dont spend enough on infrastructure. It is exactly the sort of project the government should be encouraging if they want productivity to improve.

You're assuming the council didn't want to lose face and 5000+ people voted for the name

Clatchey Bridge would have been better.

One In The Eye For The Sandies Bridge maybe ?

Interesting fact. Although the QEB was a "Viaduct" by the usual definition, the North Eastern Railway who built it and paid two thirds of the cost only ever referred to "bridges" so like the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick it was only called a Bridge.

What's the QEB?

You're assuming the council didn't want to lose face and 5000+ people voted for the name

fair enough, a decent amount voted. but everything i have read and heard related to the naming has been negative, disgusted, angry or apathetic comments. practically 100% of people who have had an opinion heard have disliked the names. who knows how many may have voted had they took it seriously. imagine the threads on here, facebook discussions and pub conversations had the three options actually been relevant, interesting, diverse, and, heaven for bid, related to sunderland with the word 'bridge' in the name.

imagine the publicity we could have gained from having a vote that 40 or 50 thousand people voted on? they could have had people in the town or outside of the match taking votes, but they know they would have got dogs abuse and rightly so. its incompetence at best, and a piss take at worse. either way its worth having an opinion on

Back